DJ Shark expected to swim more this week

Definitely rather have Reynolds than a second rounder. I want those for defense, backup QB, possibly Bijon if he falls, and most likely of course just to waste on someone with an injury.

I’m not sure that’s an either/or situation.
I’d keep both, as it stands now.
JRey is here for another year, but, I have no problem with him. He’s been very productive, and, he was healthy for his first 10 games.
I’d keep Kennedy, too. He’s not flashy, or showy, but, then again, he’s been making the highlight reels regularly.
Chark has been a decoy at best. One year deal. Bye bye.
Cephus hasn’t been able to stay healthy for 3 years. Give him his injury settlement. Bye bye.
Am I comfortable going into next year with St. Brown, JRey, Jamo, Raymond, and Kennedy?
About as comfortable as you can be when your top 3 have spent time injured the previous year.
Goff has chemistry with Raymond and Kennedy, now. +++
I’d feel more comfortable with another rookie in the mix.
What I know and have seen this season is that St. Brown, JRey, Raymond, and Kennedy are productive. They’re playmakers.

1 Like

Based on current contracts…
I’m thinking the goal should be…

Jamo & ASB… at the #1a and #1a

??? …. at #3???

Reynolds as the projected #4,
Raymond as the projected #5,
Kennedy as the projected #6.

Cephus is a RFA… and can’t be tenderer at this point.
He can try out for the #6 spot if healthy.

So…. need a #3 WR.

Chark… if he gets healthy and signs for cheaper???
or….
draft pick???
or….
free agent??? (not my preference)

1 Like

I’ve already shared my answer. Draft pick.

I’m over Reynolds. Either I’m remembering incorrectly or he was directly involved in 3 of our losses.

The best thing possible would be Chark balling out the rest of the season and earning a return.

But Reynolds and Cephus? They can battle for WR5/6

2 Likes

Lets just hope he plays like a Chark and not a Chart.

You mean Shart?

Chark has 7 catches for 98 yards in 5 games played.
He’s little more than a decoy.

Chark is little more than 2021 Trinity Benson:

And not quite 2022 Tom Kennedy:

I’ve yammered recently about pairing Jamo with Quentin Johnston to put our O over the top, depending on where our picks fall. Yet there’s merit to loading up on defensive help, when good college WRs grow on trees. I’ll take a late round speed WR, Mr. Holmes…

2 Likes

Reynolds has been a great pick up IMO/ Got to hope Chark comes to life

1 Like

Well, I’m not going to dig in against anyone, but my ideal WR corp would have:
Jamo
St Brown
Draft Pick
Raymond (PR duties, too)
Kennedy

The draft pick wouldn’t have to be a 1st rounder to get us all to completely forget the names Cephus, Chark and Reynolds. I want a physical dude that is going to battle for every pass thrown his way, not give up on plays, be effective in high-pointing jump balls and run-block to save his life.

A durable Cephus.

3 Likes

I’m with you on adding another WR in the draft, just don’t think it needs to be first round. Shit we got St. Brown in the 4th round. Golladay was a 3rd rounder in the past. We got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, so maybe 2nd or 3rd round, we could add another to go with St. Brown and Jamo. Reynolds will most likely be back next year.

2023 WR room to me…

#1 - Jamo (Rookie Contract)
#2 - St. Brown (Rookie Contract)
#3 - Rookie 2nd or 3rd rounder (Rookie Contract)
#4 - Reynolds - Cheap vet - Who does have a connection with Goff, who can start if needed
#5 - Kalif (Punt Returner and occasional WR with speed - He’s been productive when called upon.

I like that group because it’s young with lots of speed and potential. And it’s mostly built on rookie deals, which would allow us to use more $$$ on the defense.

With guys like Cephus, Benson and Kennedy battling in training camp for depth and practice squad spots.

3 Likes

Kennedy is fine as a practice squad player.

2 Likes

I’d keep Reynolds. Yes, he has disappointed at times, but he’s also SHOWN his value at times, not least when he was first picked up last year at the Lions’ lowest point. Chark, OTOH, has shown diddly. I thought the pickup was grossly overrated from jump - and he still didn’t meet my low expectations.

3 Likes

Well, like I said, I’m not going to dig in against anyone. We’ll see how the room develops in a few months.

2 Likes

For sure, RB is another area we might want to draft. J-Will and Jackson will be free agents, Swift is always banged up. Quality depth is critical at these skill positions with how many injuries we see.

1 Like

RB must be addressed this year. They have no choice. Swift has proven his value and it’s not enough to rely upon.

3 Likes

I’ve always had high hopes for Kennedy, I’m surprised he hasn’t done better. I guess he is what he is now, a borderline NFL player.

1 Like

He just hasn’t been productive despite a ton of playing time the past month. 1 catch vs the Packers on 41 snaps, 1 catch vs the Bears on 38 snaps (although it was a big catch), and 1 catch vs the Giants on 19 snaps.

This was his big shot with all the injuries and just hasn’t shown much. He’s been on the practice squad for 3 years for a reason. He’s a preseason warrior!

2 Likes

I may be the last person to not give up on Jermar Jefferson. I think he could replace what Justin Jackson gives us as a runner. I don’t know if his pass blocking has improved, but you’d think it has. That may be the sticking point.

I could get used to having Jamaal Williams and Jason Cabinda protecting Gumby Goff…

2 Likes