Do we really Have to sign a FA CB?

I was looking an based on last season Okudah was are best CB based on stats. second was Harris

I know many don’t like Harris or other than Jacob any of are CB’s We did win 9 games with them except Jacobs who got back from injury.

Lets say we keep 4 from a 9 win season. an add two early in draft.
Jeff Okudah…Jerry Jacobs…Will Harris… Mike Hughes…Hughes an Harris one year deals. If they resign. add Christian Gonzalez an say Emmanuel Forbes Now we don’t know how the draft falls posters will pick others but lets say this is are 6 heading into season. Thats not a bad group.

Not every player needs to be a super star. lets say Hughes breaks out an has a good year an we bring him back an maybe get Jeff back we can add again next season if needed. Then you also can add the FA if we are close.

I just look at CB as a pricey position like WR. You can add a high end OG for have the price of a high end CB or WR.

Just a idea plus we could add a late CB also or one we find in UDF this a good year for CBs .
Its just a discussion idea.

2 Likes

I think we may get a band aid-type, but it’s hard saying.

My fav route is a quote someone posted a month or so ago…
… Aaron Donal d is the best Defensive back in the NFL., meaning…they have to man up for 1/3 the amount of time when the QB is immediately running for his life.

Let’s start there, plz

4 Likes

Who’s the veteran leader of our DB group that has had success at the NFL level ??

I’d say we have that at most every position group but DB. I’d say bringing in a guy that still has something in the tank. A guy that may be a step slower than he was but has done it at the highest level in the NFL. Someone, besides the coaches, for our young DB’s to try and learn from.

5 Likes

Its a point to consider I look at cap hit as well as experience an a CB FA can cost a lot of cap for that experience an could be spent at another position.

I know the 2 I kept are not liked here but we still won 9 games with a rush that has to improve an we would add couple young CBs also.

I think we will get that 3 tech DT we may get that in FA an add one in draft. The idea is use the cap to add that DT . The draft is not loaded with them. We can see who we bring back but we need the DT that pushes the pocket an yet strong against run.

We all like Payne he’s what we need I would rather pay him this season an draft CBs the draft is loaded IMO with quality CBs an bring back a couple from this season

CBs rarely give you any impact their rookie seasons. Signing (or trading for) a veteran CB gives us a proven commodity to lean on while the rookies develop. We’re trying to be good next year, not to start being good 2 or 3 years from now, so to do that we have to have proven talent at CB because rookies shouldn’t be expected to become high impact players at that specific position.

9 Likes

The answer is YES and we need to draft one. Our DB room is weak and crippled. We need at least two solid CB and a NB added. So we need 3 more bodies.

6 Likes

Exactly. This team was playing like a top 10 team
In the NFL. We were the 4th best NFC team at worst last year behind the Eagles, 49ers, and maybe Cowboys. That is with a roster that was the youngest in the NFL when you factor in who actually played. It is realistic to expect most of these young guys to get a little better in 2024.

We can be a legit Super Bowl contender next year, especially in the NFC. To do that we need better CB play and rookie CBs tend to struggle. We need to add a viable veteran at CB more than any other position, IMO

3 Likes

I personally would like us to try and trade for one, because I think the guys we could trade for are a lot better than who we could just sign in free agency.

Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore are both better than Jamel Dean, James Bradberry, and an old Marcus Peters.

3 Likes

Who’s gonna play the NB ? Most all them guys are outside guys. NB is a true weakness in our group. Will Harris will work as a back up and mine Hughes seemed to play better on the outside he was not very good in the beginning in that NB spot. One of the picks needs to be a NB. Maybe Jerry Jacobs can be that guy but he’s always been a outside guy too.

2 Likes

I’m not nearly as high on Lattimore. I think he is a capable starter, but theirs a world of difference between him and Ramsey. I’d rather sign a Bradberry or Dean then get Lattimore unless their asking price is similar to what we gave up for Slay.

1 Like

In the ideal world: Draft 1 early, one late and:
Is there an upcoming CB that is being overlooked on his current team? One that is aware of the Lions culture and wants the opportunity to prove himself?
If so, Brad & Co will find him. It will be up to him to sign with us on a prove it deal.
Someone like Bunting in Tampa might fit the bill:

2 Likes

I mean…Jalen Ramsey on the Lions has me a little excited. Not even going to lie. He won’t get what the Rams paid in trade the first time either because he’s older .

Lattimore, hell yes. That would be a big upgrade for us too.

I think it would be shocking how much better our D is with a top notch CB.

2 Likes

I have nothing to back this up with statistical evidence, but I feel like where the really good teams tend to distinguish themselves is having good right tackles and good #2 CBs to pair with good LTs and good #1 CBs.

1 Like

Rashad Fenton is a guy I could see us looking at. He is someone that will be looking for a one year prove it deal somewhere he has a good shot at starting. He has put elite level play on tape and would be a good fit for this defense.

3 Likes

Cameron Sutton is my preference but he won’t be cheap

1 Like

I’d love to get another Mathis. He was an under the radar signing back in the day that really helped the DBs

1 Like

Drop the eggs into the Payne basket

Sign Pat Pete for a year

Get branch in the draft

Pat Pete can help for a year and would be a good vet and it takes away from a division rival

2 Likes

I like him too (but so do the Steelers).

2 Likes

I don’t think we have to. Some folks just can’t wait until we’re back in cap hell.
Fantasy Football is more important than what is played on the field.

3 Likes