Does Matthew Stafford make it in the Hall of Fame if he doesn't win a Superbowl?

Yes.
Yes.

If he retires after the season, no . . . if he plays like he has for another 5 or 6 years, definitely.

3 Likes

On one hand, has Stafford ever truly been a top 3 or top 5 QB in the league for a prolonged stretch, probably not.

But his career has been in an era where Brady, Manning, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers and another 3 or 4 HOF candidate QBs were in their peak.

He will definitely have the stats for it if he plays til 2025 at the standard he has. I think another play off run or two with the Rams and he will get in.

2 Likes

Absolutely. If he keeps playing at a high level for 3 or 4 more years and continues adding to his stats he will be one of the most prolific passers ever. He keeps becoming the youngest QBs to reach certain milestones, so it’s arguable that he can continue that. In a sport so dictated by the teams play, like football, winning a Super Bowl shouldn’t be the benchmark to get in to the hall of fame, even for a QB. Lots of great players are in the Hall of Fame, Matthew should be one of them when he decides to retire.

That was mentioned as part of the argument as well, when Elway and Moon played, the game was different.
50k for Elway and Moon is not the same as 50k passing now.

I guess it just depends on what the HOF wants, do they want a lot of stats or a lot of Superbowls, or a mix of both?

So does Jameis Winston.

1 Like

Brady is the GOAT but when in history isn’t a QB playing in a time with other great QB’s?!?!

If he doesn’t win a Superbowl sorry the answer is no. Sorry Nate but Marino was an NFL MVP, 3 all pros, and 7 pro bowls. He was arguably the best of his era and one of the best of all time. I love Stafford, I hope he makes it, but this is only a debate because we are a Lions message board. Superbowl should put him over the top but its not a guarantee. Just out of curiosity, how many QBs are in there who never won a Superbowl, and also never won an NFL MVP or made an all pro team? Those things matter to the voters. Lets take off the the blue shades and be honest. He needs to win a Superbowl, at least as of right now.

2 Likes

If he retired today, the answer is no. But he’s playing at HOF level now and if that continues and he can play a few more years he should get in.

But stop the Marino talk.

Try Troy Aikman instead. I really question why Troy Aikman is in the HOF.

Someone posted something recently that compared aikmans stats to cutlers and they were pretty similar. I never fact checked it though.

And yes, I think Matty gets in

No he does not. He needs a ring.

Someone posted that Aikman had a career 165 passing TD’s and Brady had more than that after he turned 40 years old.

Marino made 1 SB, and got smoked, Aikman won 3, and was one of the best, and everyone knew he was a 1st ballot

Winningest QB for any decade, at the time, 6 PB appearances, to go along with all the NFC Championship appearances and SBs. Had to beat another HOF QB multiple times to get there, had to beat another HOF QB multiple times in the SB

Hmmm…I thought wins weren’t a “QB stat”!!!

1 Like

Yep, along with 33 TDs, to 30 ints, a far cry from 41 and 16. Also Winston doesn’t come close to the career achievements Stafford has, and will continue to have, as he breaks more and more records

1 Like

They are to you

My head is spinning at the question. A little over a year ago the big debate was whether Stafford even merited a 1st rd draft pick in a trade. Now we’re discussing his gold jacket!?!? Wow!

2 Likes

They aren’t for you…until you need them to be I guess.

1 Like

LOL, hardly I’m consistent. Stafford was in a shit organization, the w/l bares that out, along with 1 playoff win since 57.

Aikman, Montana, Young, On and on had great teams around them, in great organizations. Aikman beat those great teams, great QBs, and great organizations with his.

Matter of fact, as predicted Stafford would succeed yr one out of Detroit, and low and behold