Does the NFL hate the Lions?

I’m sure the Eagles think Miles Killebrew decapitating their guy was a bad call and our defensive backs mugging their receivers a few times was bad. They also self imploded, but we got a good whistle in that game for sure.

2 Likes

Can you name some of these game changing calls that the Lions benefited from? And saying that a guy got away with a possible hold or PI doesn’t cut the mustard.

I was thinking of this game (and the LAC one). Or were they just bad play by the opposition.

How about the coin toss debacle on Thanksgiving against the Steelers? That was probably more egregious than anything that has gone against us.

I remember the Eagles game there was an obvious face mask on a punt return against the Lions that wasn’t called, and posters on here were defending the non call by saying it makes up for blown calls in the past or some other excuse. It happens all the time but Lions fans don’t want to admit it because it would take away the major excuse in their eyes as to why the lions lose. There are bad calls in every game against both teams. If you point it out that the Lions got one of the calls, the posters call you a hater or an idiot. Just the way it is with Lions fans. The major excuse for why the team has sucked all these years is because of the refs.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/refs-miss-blatant-facemask-on-scary-miles-sanders-hit-during-eagles-lions-game-video-01dnd348t9vm

1 Like

Probably a combination of both. Again, it’s kind of hard to say we have been gifted wins, when we still find a way to lose a lot of games we get favorable calls in. We have a long, long history of doing really dumb shit at crucial times, and we don’t get a lot of wins to begin with, so it’s a lot harder to find specific plays that gifted us wins. I mean, we get ourselves down 17 points in the 4th, the refs can give us 10 calls and we still lose.

The truth would take away the victim mentality that Lions fans have.

2 Likes

Perhaps.

One of the worst face masks i’ve ever seen. Lucky he didn’t kill him - literally. That is one that came to mind, though I disagree with you that we dont’ get shafted far more often than not, especially late in games. Lions get railed more often than not

Also - we got the coin toss, where Bettis called it right. LOL. Never seen a blown call on a coin toss! They shroud have reviewed it.

1 Like

I disagree. This year’s Green Bay game was flat out gross. It was indeed stolen from us. Other than that, we can whine about the flag against Dallas or a holding call here and there, but most of our brutal losses are due to self inflicted mistakes.

Even that Dallas game wasn’t lost because of the refs and 1 call. It was lost because our offense went into a shell and didn’t do jack squat for 3 quarters.

The “process” call was the correct call, as flawed as the rule is. If Calvin doesn’t worry about celebrating and just holds on to the ball, that never happens. Tate’s play was also a rule called correctly as dumb as the rule is.

Again, this years Green Bay game was a joke, but other than that, I don’t see some big list of games that were stolen from us. We won 3 games this year and 2 of them probably should have been losses if you ask the other team.

1 Like

It was such a poor throw that Pettigrew had zero percent chance of catching it. A decent throw and it an easy catch since Pettigrew was wide open.

1 Like

And if Stafford was healthy, they more than likely win a few more games. Don’t play that game, nobody wins.

1 Like

In all fairness, the two aren’t the same. One is based on what the poster perceives as bad calls against the other teams that benefited the Lions. The other is claiming said player would have propelled the Lions to a victory through his play. Stafford, for his career, has won 7 out of 15 games. The trend would be the Lions would have ended up with 6 wins on the season had Stafford stayed healthy.

1 Like

So it is acceptable to say that because of one missed call that the Eagles and Arizona or Chargers or whoever should have won those games is truth. But if Stafford was healthy they would have only had a shot in a few games in the second half of the season. Unreal that people think this way.

What about the catch in Tampa years ago where it was clearly inbounds for a TD and they even reviewed it and still called it incomplete?

Wasn’t there also the inadvertent whistle in a playoff game in NO where we would have scored a TD but the ref blew a whistle who wasn’t even near the play and for no reason?

I’m sorry but a face mask call missed every once in a while doesn’t equate to the several ways we’ve been screwed in every way imaginable over the years. I have friends of other teams who when they watch the Lions say how differently calls go against them. It’s the same way with the Browns they just make up crap half the time.

It’s 2 separate discussions. Nobody is arguing if we would have gotten more wins with Stafford over the chumps Quinn had backing him up. Yes, we most likely would have gotten more wins. The discussion here is if the NFL hates the Lions and steals games from us. The answer is no. The Green Bay debacle was the worst I have ever seen.

The rest of our losses are on us, not the refs. I think out side of that Green Bay game and the Pittsburgh game that we were gifted an OT possession, the rest of them equal out for the most part. I refuse to be a victim of officiating when our own OC cost us 2 games and our QB cost us last season before it even started. 99% of our losses are on us.

If you have no argument…make stuff up. I never once said if those calls had went the other way, those games would have been decided one way or the other. Maybe if you reread my post you could use the comprehension skills you should have to see that I never said anything like that at all.
No. It’s unreal that people like you think that Stafford was going to win a bunch of games. The guy is 69-79-1 in his career. He only managed to win 3 out of 8 games in the first half of the season. But suddenly they are going to win 7 or 8 games in the last half of the season? If you go on his career averages, it points to the Lions having 6 or 7 wins for the 2019 season. Just because you venerate Stafford won’t change the way things are.

2 Likes

I don’t know lions2020 this is what sparked my responses. Sounds like B1Gphan was saying that. So not sure how I was making stuff up…but whatever. So you’re saying Stafford couldn’t have beat teams that a backup and a undrafted rookie almost beat (Chicagox2, Dallas, Wash, GB)? This argument is dumb and I am moving on. Have fun in your cynical world.

Yup- at least a handful or more of them. Add the Packer game in - 8-9 win season. All hypothetical, potential, blah, blah…true. I’m just looking at what can be, and don’t see the 3 wins as anything close to an accurate barometer as to what to expect for next season.

10-11 wins an playoffs in 2020 season!

Sure, he would have won all 8 games, blitzed through the NFC playoffs and then torched the Ravens in the Super Bowl 48-17.

Things are always nice in Lions Fantasy Land

The hard reality. 69-79-1 in his career, 3-4-1 in 2019. No division titles, no playoff wins, 3 wildcard appearances in 11 years.

IF…IF…IF…is a much more comforting thought than reality.

1 Like