Dolphins CB Xavien Howard wants a new contract one year after signing a 5 year extension

Therein lies the problem.

Byron Jones, former 1st Rd pick of the Cowboys, has 4 career INTs and was a Second Team All Pro/Pro Bowler in 2018.

Comparatively speaking, signing him for that much didn’t make sense.

Last two years of the deal are basically funny money. The Dolphins have an easy out after 2022.

Howard has no guaranteed money after 2021. That’s probably the real issue.

1 Like

It’s not “loyalty” to go to work for the employer that pays you to go to work. Organizations make business decisions all the time. Both bad and good. When one wants to own their own organization, please do. Until then, one generally has to work for someone who pays you for what you do. It’s his choice to go to work or stay home and not get paid, but “loyalty” really has nothing to do with that. There are underpaid and overpaid players on every team in the NFL. Same with every other organization. :man_shrugging:

You are not a multi-million dollar athlete. Sorry to break it to you.

Where did I reference myself again??

Restating my position. He won’t win this pissing contest. I hope he ruffles their feathers enough that they trade him. Short of that I hope he sits out every camp and preseason until they pay him or move him.

Having a head coach go out there publicly and play around with words in order to win a PR battle against a player rubs me the wrong way.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.
Dolphins should have known that giving Jones more money than Howard was going to cause some friction.

When a player signs a contract it is legally binding, right? Did the team hold a gun to his head? No. He could’ve signed a 1 or 2 year deal, right? And then sign a bigger deal, right? But no, he wants the big bucks now, right? And people want to sign or trade for a guy like that who has no honor and integrity to stand by his word?

I don’t give a shit how good he is, this guy is not somebody you want on your football team. A deal is a deal, if you expect the team to honor their end of the contract if you get hurt, then you should honor your end if your value increases beyond the value of that contract. Otherwise don’t sign a long term contract.

I agree, they should trade him immediately.

Gilmore holds no value to this team IMO. And I would actually rather hang on to our draft picks. We’re probably going to need them to get a QB…

1 Like

“Better hope you only get hurt on team property.”
Sincerely…
Ja’waun James

1 Like

Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

Well now. First of all it depends on the terms of the contract, was he cleared by the team to work out privately and who has the liability if he injures himself while away from the team. Did James not know whether the team had to cover that liability? Didn’t he have an agent or a lawyer? Didn’t he have personal insurance to cover any injuries away from the team? And if not, why not? Did he check with the NFLPA? If not, why not?

Individuals ought to be responsible for their actions IMHO. This case is being challenged I believe. My guess is, they’ll settle out of court but it bugs me that players sign a contract and then don’t want to live up to the deal. If the team isn’t honoring that same contract then fine, sue the bastards.

That’s a ton of back pedaling from the statement “A deal is a deal, if you expect the team to honor their end of the contract if you get hurt.”

2 Likes

Do NFL teams always honor the full length of every contract they enter?

from an SI.com article about the situation with James…

Since this happened away from the Broncos’ facility, the team has the ability through the collective bargaining agreement to withhold his 2021 base salary, which was a guaranteed $10 million.

GUARANTEED money… until it isn’t.

I really don’t have any interest in legal talk… but I can’t really find it reasonable to expect “honor and integrity” from the players… while the teams have the ability to void contracts rather easily.

Lol I’m as big a Jared Goff fan as anyone…I’m just not as optimistic about his weapons as some are. I think it’s more likely he has a bad season, than a good one :man_shrugging:t2:

If Swift or Hoch goes down, Goff’s gonna be like John Traovolta…just stayin’ alive, back there. St Brown of Motown could end up surprising, but I’m expecting some growing pains for the O. WR help will change a lot next year, but I expect Goff to be middle of the pack-ish this year, only because of talent surrounding him.

I go both ways on contracts, sometimes I side with the team, sometimes with the player.

Howard received $14M in new money in 2019 (his final year of his rookie contract) and $12M in new money in the first year of his extension. $26M on the extension for one year. He is due to make another $12M this year ($19M per year on the extension). Even if he plays this year and 2022, he will have made $51M on the extension ($17M APY for 3 years). If I was Miami, I wouldn’t even think about talking to him until after the 2022 season. It’s ludicrous for him to complain right now.

1 Like