Don’t rule Willis out? Willis to visit our facility?

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports that Malik Willis is “in the mix” for the Lions at No. 2 overall.

“They have not solidified what they’re doing there yet,” Fowler notes. “I believe Malik Willis is not totally off the table here, because they’ve worked on getting him in the building for a late pre-draft visit.” Most NFL-connected evaluators have steadily moved down the quarterbacks down the pecking order as we’ve slid into April. Fowler posits that may just be setting us up for a draft night surprise. We’d be surprised if the Lions picked Willis at No. 2, though a trade probably can’t be ruled out.

1 Like

Of course I immediately think smokescreen but who knows. Maybe bignatty gets his wish. It’d be a very clear sign to and indictment of Goff regardless of how the Lions try and spin it.

Trade still makes the most sense if we can find a taker.

5 Likes

Drafting Willis would be a bigger mistake than drafting Javonte Williams would have been last year.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t see it as an indictment of Goff. Listen to Campbell speak the other day, he pretty much said the Lions will be drafting a QB at some point, now or in the future. He just said it has to be the right guy. He knows Goff isn’t the long term answer.

That is alright though. Goff is a good QB. I believe this staff and front office believe he is a good QB. It’s clear they don’t view him as elite though. If there is a guy sitting there that they do think is elite then you take him.

2 Likes

At this point, I’ve been reading way too much about the draft and I’m in overload mode.

I just want the draft to begin I can start complaining about what the Lions did or didn’t do, like most years.

Last year I didn’t complain as much, but I feel like that’s an aberration….

9 Likes

Paralysis by analysis. I agree, its time to just get it over with and start bitching about what happened or didn’t happen.

8 Likes

They probably gave him some things to study and work on and set the visit late to see how far he’s come along.

3 Likes

That’s some good food for thought there Sim!

2 Likes

I disagree, Goff is only 27 and under contract thru 2024, if the organization takes a QB at 2OA that sends a clear message that Goff is only here for 2022 as the starter. Not sure how you could see it any other way if you were in Goff’s shoes. Now if they take a QB in the 2nd rd or later than sure, Goff can see it as they are bringing someone in to eventually take over, but not in 2023.

2 Likes

We desperately want out of 2 IMO

1 Like

Yes, let’s get this over with!

The drum beat never changes tempo, it’s steady like a rock, and like a rock it crushes you as it gets louder…

And louder…

Assuming Brad is attempting to manufacture a trade down, this type of article is exactly what the Lions would hope might spark an all-in trade up offer from Atlanta, Seattle, Pittsburg or New Orleans.

If somebody is holding their breath that Willis makes it to them, and they hear the right rumor at the right time, you’re hoping the conversation in that city runs something like, “If we sit and wait, there’s a very good chance somebody jumps ahead of us to take our guy. If we aren’t aggressive we’re likely to miss out on the guy we think can lead our franchise the next 12-15 years. Let’s not leave it to chance. Let’s go get our guy and invest the draft capital to ensure we get Malik. Call Brad.”

1 Like

Maybe we pick him and then trade him in the next two years for draft picks?!

Mean while we have a solid backup QB I’m training?!

1 Like

Maybe we pick him and trade Goff, hence the Dangling Goff theory (discussions on this are being hosted in the rumors thread). My source (Jon K) is saying Pitt has offered pick 20 and their 1st next year for Goff and Tavai (we will need to try and resign him).

2 Likes

If we draft Willis at 2, there is no way we are reading Goff because Willis needs a year. Unless they go rogue and start Boyle for the year and trade Goff. But that will not happen because of money and cap hit.

Willis is still in play but trading Goff is not. He’s on the team this year regardless

2 Likes

If we get offered alot beans, all bets are off.

2 Likes

I know the smoke is filling the party van these days. But they sent the cavalry to Tibbs pro day. Now we hear a little smoke that KT is not a DC guy is other NFL folks perception… who knows about all that. But IF KT has found himself on the turd list, then IMO all bets are off IF Hutch goes 1OA.

I’ve had the luxury of just absorbing the film. That made it easy for me to say if Hutch is gone, then you take KT and be happy. But now when the rubber is about to meet the road and we are installing our culture, the Tibbs drama may be too much. I can just see Detroit Media dangling on that guys twitter acct on the daily… uhg. I’m balking at CB, balking at S there. No WR is worth it and though I like Garrett Wilson, he’s a reach up there among a lot of reaches. I like Walker, I don’t love Walker to ever live up to 2OA. So for me right now the most logical best of all bad options is Jermaine Johnson who is KT lite on the field but by far the better culture fit.

Or…damn the torpedos. Hutch is gone, all of the above is in the calculus. We are not able to trade down or get top 5 value at all in this draft. So take a swing on the QB with the highest upside. Who walks in the building being able to do things your other guys cannot do. A guy with all the character and intangibles you want. A winner. A guy that no matter what you know you can bring in and sit for a year to develop. I could see it.

5 Likes

■■■■, another dangling rumor?

Exactly! If there were a guy that you had some amount of confidence would be an upgrade over Goff, jump!
Willis is not that guy, and I can’t imagine a reason to replace Boyle with the #2 pick!

You think Willis is not the guy. Both your opinion and my opinion mean nothing. Thankfully I trust in the guys we have in place and will support whatever direction they choose.

1 Like