Don't get too attached to the idea of the Lions picking at No. 7

1 Like

2 Likes

A trade down would be very good if Holmes can add some extra picks and not move down too far.

2 Likes

This means what I had hoped for and that is not drafting a QB @7

2 Likes

You know I think if they did that a pass rusher is a sleeper target that we don’t talk about much here. Like Jaelen Phillips or Kwity Paye.

3 Likes

This is what I’ve wanted since we found out Stafford was on the block.
I would be happy if the Lions moved back more than once to be honest.
Not a big fan of this draft, and would rather more picks after a full, less chaotic collegiate season is played.

My thoughts aside, if Holmes and Co. were to stay at 7, and are completely comfortable with who they select I’m all for it :man_shrugging:
I’ve trusted them until this point, so why stop now.

1 Like

Tell Philly to give us Miami’s first next year and they have a deal.

IMO, I feel the safest tradedown scenario, from a concept of retaining maximum flexibility, maximum options with the “Top 3 WR’s”, along with the Top 3 OT’s, still available would be trading with #9 Denver, obtaining an extra 3rdm in exchange for our 4th trade value wise. Any lower and you will jeopardize any of the Top 3 groupings.

That said, the Lions may trade with LAC at #13. LAC really needs/wants an OT to protect their ROY QB. At present, OT Darrisaw is slotted to them per Tankathon. He would be No.3 on my short list of Top 3 OT’s available. But LAC lusts for OT Slater, and sees OT Sewell long gone at #13. Trading with LAC should net the Lions the LAC’s 2nd Rounder in exchange for the Lions 4th Rounder trade value wise. Seems a bit pricey to me to draft Slater instead of Darrisaw, assuming Darrisaw falls to them in a perfect world. Is Slater that much better than Darrisaw from a Charger’s perspective?..From the Lions perspective, Lions would gladly accept Darrisaw, if they elect to go the OT route in the 1st Round, or feel really great drafting Parsons at #13, instead of #7, and getting an extra mid 2nd Rounder (S Holland or WR’s Moore or Moore)…Drafting OT Darrisaw, one of OLB Ossai/Davis/Bolton, S Holland or either WR Moore would be a home run in my book, OR substitute Parsons for Darrisaw and add the top CB at #41, along with the extra mid 2nd Rounder from above.

Ultimate Question, IMO, does the Lion Braintrust value a Top OT over a Top WR??..IF they believe in themselves LT, then the opportunity to draft either THE Top OT Sewell or #2 OT Slater, is the way to go, because the likelihood of any future 1-2 Rated OT’s being available after #10 going forward is remote. Stud OT’s last 10 years, at least, are rarely available on the FA market, protect your QB, facilitate your run game, and keep your Defense off the field and less tired, improving their freshness when they are on the field. Whereas, drafting a stud WR can be much more easily available with greater quantity year to year and could be available as early as next year with 2 First Rounders in 2022 & 2023… - GOALPOST

1 Like

They better not pass on Sewell for a trade down. He’s worth the picks you’d pass up.

2 Likes

IMO, Do the Lions think OT Sewell is THE Pick at #7, or do they trade down with DEN at #9, hoping CAR doesn’t snag Sewell at #8? In the BEST case scenario, they get DEN’s #9 plus an extra 3rd for our 4th. In WORST case, they lose Sewell, receive DEN’s #9 & an extra 3rd for our 4th, and the option of drafting OT Slater, if they still want a stud OT, or draft one of the TOP 3 WR’s available…Still could draft Parson’s or trade down with a QB-hungry team, but you will risk the likelihood any of the top-rated players will still be available. Of course, beauty is in the mind of the beholder.

I wouldn’t leave out corner either. Someone like Horn.

I really like Horn.

I also think WR is very much in play after a trade down too. Depending on how far they trade down.

1 Like

Good news. This is exactly what I want to see from Holmes.

More picks is better than less picks, especially on a team that needs a ton of new players.

2 Likes

Me too.

If the Lions get an extra 2d Rd pick and are able to pick up either Kadarius Toney in Rd 1 or Tylan Wallace in Rd 2, that gives them the flexibility to fill another hole with a potential starter elsewhere.

1 Like

They’re the favorite to take Sewell if he isn’t grabbed by the Bengals. They won’t pass on him. If Sewell is on the board, he will be the pick, and it will be at 7.

1 Like

I wouldn’t leave them out of the QB market either.

Rumor is they are prepared to throw a lot of ammo at fixing it. Including a draft pick to compete with Darnold.

trading down means waiting longer for other teams to draft, and we will be fortunate on getting many of our favored prospects at all. : Chase, Smith Parsons, Pitts , Waddle, Harris, Sewell, Rosseau , Koramoah , Ojulari , Ossai , Surtain II , Holland, Grant…so on…they’ll get snatched unless we move up to get prospect X.

Great news.

It’s all about magic beans and having as many as possible. Everyone’s worried about falling too far down the board for value but the value is much closer than you think. It would not be surprising at all if Horn had a better pro career than Surtain, JOK than Parsons, Bateman than Waddle, Jenkins than Slater, etc… It happens all the time.

1 Like

Why are the Lions perennially on the short end of those comparisons???..I’ll let the reader ponder that one…

We’re slated to have the top available pick on the market for other teams to trade with. Standards for moving up already been set high this year. No way is 7 going out for some 2nd-4th round swap. If there’s a trade we take those picks straight up. Old school value charts don’t apply here as we’ve seen all offseason and in recent drafts. And if Sewell happens to be on the board I think getting a 1st is in play or just take him, which is why I hope we don’t make any moves until draft day.

5 Likes

I think the biggest takeaway is that NFL teams view Smith as the #3 WR in this draft. It feels to me the Lions are going to have their choice of WR at #7. Sewell or QB may present trade down options.