Double down at CB?

Agree with this whole post!! Spot on

My wish list…

I’d like to add Chark, Swaggy, Commish, AA, Buggs, Kraemer, Nelson, Wright, and W Harris back internally.

Cut C Harris, Brockers, Big V, Cabinda,

Sign Rankins, Adrian Amos, and Jamel Dean

I want two CBs in 2023 but NOT two 1st rd. CB. Why? Thanks for asking! I just don’t think the value is there to justify those selections.

For all the talk about Sauce Garner having a great season (and that is true) look at his DL:
DT Quinnen Williams, DT Sheldon Rankins and DT Solomon Thomas. The Jets are 7th in the league in sacks. That helps a CB out BIG TIME.

I am not letting Jalen Carter or Bresee get past the Raams pick as that finished the DL to me. Look at this:
Hutch, Jalen Carter/Bresee, Levi O., Alim, Paschal, a re-signed John Cominsky, Romeo Okwara, Charles Harris, James Houston and Julian Okwara when he comes back. Folks, that is a playoff DL right there.

From there I add a CB with our pick as I think there will be value there and I add a pick in rd. 2 as I think there will be value there. Look at these mocks I did a moment ago:
6: R1 P6 DL Jalen Carter - Georgia
17: R1 P17 CB Kelee Ringo - Georgia
48: R2 P17 CB Garrett Williams - Syracuse
58: R2 P27 RB Jahmyr Gibbs - Alabama
80: R3 P17 S Tykee Smith - Georgia

and

6: R1 P6 DL Jalen Carter - Georgia
17: R1 P17 CB Cam Smith - South Carolina
48: R2 P17 C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota
58: R2 P27 CB Garrett Williams - Syracuse
80: R3 P17 RB Zach Charbonnet - UCLA

2023 if the perfect time to make this kind of move as we have Okudah (with question marks) and Jerry Jacobs (just how good is he?). Two top CBs likely become depth guys in 2023 and that is PERFECT as they WILL play and we need more talent at CB. Then we have Chase Lucas and we can likely re-sign Will Harris for vet min. giving us six interesting options at CB with long-term upside and likely fine depth options in 2023 and beyond.

Not two 1st rd. CBs for my $ but two CBs in the first two rounds please.

Why are people inspired to take a rb when the ones we have are good . 14 tds for williams and a few from swift is not enough . Why waste a pick on a rb when you have two decent ones on team already . I heard all the man love on Robinson but is that really a position of need over a lber or safety.

I wonder how Levis rehab is going? I know we have all written him off. And understandably so. But I was reading something like 80% of linehan who have back surgery return to starting form

If Levi can come back and be a net positive this frees up a high draft spot for DB or dare I say, RB?

If we get two stud DBs, a S, LB OG in this draft, Levi comes back to his potential and sign a veteran run stuffing DT I think this team will be dangerous

Williams is a FA year this and Swift is next year and has seem to fallen out of favor with the Staff.

It’s a good point you make. But looking ahead our playoff window is in a couple years. Williams is 27 and historically RB production drops significantly at 28. Swift is a terrible blocker and stays healthy for about 50% of the time. Plus his contract is up after next year.

Since the offense overall plays so much off of play action it would make sense to keep the RB talent coming up through the system. Robinson has the potential of being a force multiplier with the skill set he brings

Goff and Johnson and Company have designed this offense incorporating many elements from the 2018 Rams. When Gurley was healthy, and Goff was able to capitalize on that they ran an offense that was 12th best in the league history

One of the reasons that team got shut down in the Super Bowl is because Gurley got hurt and the Patriots didn’t respect the run. you know how you often hear teams stop the run to make the QB beat them. The Pats dropped everyone in coverage to stop the pass and make the run beat them. Against light fronts the RBs ran for only 57 yards and 3.2 average YPC

A healthy Gurley brings it against that front and gives Goff room to run the offense.

1 Like

It’s a chicken/egg argument.

I would counter your position to say that the sacks are coming because of the good tight coverage by the DB’s. Early in the season our DB’s were often playing 8 yards off so we didn’t get near the number of sacks (we had 12 sacks in the first 8 games and 25 in the 2nd 8 games). We fired our DB coach and started playing tighter coverage…sacks went up.

If a QB can throw to his first read, you just aren’t going to get many sacks in this league. You have that first and 2nd read covered, there is a decent chance the rush is going to get there (or at least get close enough to hurry the QB into a bad throw).

2 Likes

I would be absolutely shocked if we don’t walk out of day 2 with at least 2 DBs given Holmes’ draft history of doubling up.

3 Likes

It is true that position groups compliment each other. However, Quinnen Williams is having a breakout awesome season and I have no doubt at all that great DT play has helped Sauce in a major way.

Just like how DTs eat blocks that help LBers.

Teams that can get pressure with four guys have a huge advantage and I believe Holmes believes great OL and DL play is the key for the Lions to take the next step.

Holmes had already started this by drafting Hutch, Paschal, Levi and Alim in his last two drafts. Getting one last key DL piece (another top DT) gives this unit elite depth and will help CBs and LBers.

That is why I want young CBs now to push Okudah and Jacobs and to give us critical depth options. And I would not pass up a blue chip DT for a CB.

In 2020 I would selected DT Brown over Okudah add as I think DTs help LBers AND CBs so be elite up front as that helps everyone.

2 Likes

YES - to all of this!
…specially the hilightd part!

1 Like

I’d be all about doubling down at CB… even if it’s in the first round… as long as it’s for an outside CB, and a Slot CB… 2 different positions. I’ll be a bit surprised if the draft went down that way, but…

2 Likes

Double down at CB? I’d be good with them tripling down

1 Like

And I would have probably taken Simmons.

In a perfect world, you would have great players at all positions. In a salary cap world, that just isn’t possible. Your goal on defense should be to have a great player at each LEVEL of the defense.

I think we already have the makings of a “great” player (or 2) on the D-line. I don’t see us having a “great” LB or DB on this team. That’s why I would consider LB & DB as higher priorities than DT.

1 Like

I agree two in first 3 rds We can even add a F also but doesn’t have to be a high priced one.

2 Likes

You at time have no idea how drafted players will turn out. You don’t know as much as teams so don’t talk as if you do. You like a player i like a player doesn’t mean they are blue chip .

You never tell us all the ones you missed on an you miss as much as the rest of us.

B Branch- S
Bijan Robinson- RB
Witherspoon/Forbes- CB
Cancey- 3T
Voorhees- RG
O Pappoe- LB

• I’m trading down from 9ish (after Rams win) to #13-14…. Adding #45 and a 2 or 3 next year….

I am taking B Branch, Cancey, and a 2/3 in 2024 over Bresee all day… especially since all 3 players collectively cost less on our 53…

Cancey, Rankins, Alim, Buggs is a helluva versatile rotation.

Brian Branch in 1
Jamel Dean in UFA
Adrian Amos in UFA
Jeff Okudah
Kerby Joseph.

Jacobs
Iffy
T Walker
Lucas

• resign Will Harris.

First and a 2nd… 2 free agent signings and we have a helluva talented and diverse backfield.

I agree that we should draft a RB out of this deep class. I just think we should bring back Jamaal and Swift with the rookie for next year. I love Bijon and he would be awesome here. But look at the last great rb (saquan) and how little he has played healthy in his first contract. RBs are the biggest gamble because you might only get a few games out of your top pick. Bijon might be able to stay healthy with his style so im not against him at all. I just think a solid secondary would absolutely also be a force multiplier on this team.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.