DPayne tag probability 99.9%

Expected but still disappointing.

1 Like

Yeah…I was hoping for the Lions to have a shot at getting him. Figured as much. I would trade our 6OA for him.

Not me! Pay him AND give up pick 6…I’m out

4 Likes

Bad Santa Pain GIF by Sky

Too risky for me.

But I want us to get a quality DT this offseason.

1 Like

Another Up vote for honesty. You’re on a roll brother!

Me too. I’m obviously going way out on a limb to find one…but man, we need a stud at this position.

5 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

He was gonna be out of the Brad Holmes price range imo anyways.

Smart move by Washington. Daron Payne seemed like he was signing number one listed for damn near every team this offseason. By tagging him you at least get to see if there is a team willing to cough up some picks to acquire. And worst case scenario is that he plays on the tag, which gives them another year to evaluate if the production was real or not. It also gives them another year to evaluate Chase Young. Because I am sure having the ability to pay Chase is part of the decision on whether they pay Payne or not.

For the record Chase Young is the kind of situation where I have praised the Packers of yesteryear for not waiting on to develop/get healthy. They would make other decisions independent of the idea of Chase Young suddenly becoming a star. If Chase breaks out, great. He can hop on the moving train. But the train isn’t going to slow down just so Chase Young can be on it.

2 Likes

I agree, smart business move, but that also might piss Payne off if you force him to play on essentially a 1 year deal. I’m sure he is looking for a long term deal entering year 6 in the not for long league.

2 Likes

It’s interesting though… what are his options? It is an tool for teams to use, as part of the CBA. If you are mad about getting paid top-5 at your position, what do you do? Not play? Play whiny/give less than 100%? Because then, your options (and pay) go way down once you are NOT on the tag.

It really seems like it’s a situation where its best for the player to accept the top-5 money and move on. I do understand why some hold out (or hold-in) for some time for a longer contract.

2 Likes

I don’t like that they allow players to be tagged twice. This league is tough to make it to year 7. And a team can essentially keep you for what they want if you are a 1st round pick for 7 years. Tag should be one and done for a career imo.

1 Like

Can you franchise a guy 2 years in a row still!? Or did they get rid of that?

That is a good point… I think you can still do it? It is rare, because the multiplier is huge (maybe @DeadStroke could clarify?). I think Kirk Cousins got two franchise tags with the redskins a few years ago. That’s the only time I remember it happening…

It’s still there and it’s usually 120% of prior years salary. So if Payne received a tag this year at $18,937,000 his 2023 tag would be top 5 DT salaries or 120% of 2022 compensation (likely 120%). So his 2024 tag would be $22,724,400.

2 Likes

And if you don’t mind, please explain what happens if they tag him a 3rd time. I think its important to understanding the QB negotiations.

tiffany pollard GIF

1 Like

144% of prior year salary or QB franchise tag figure.

1 Like

You just dropped a BOMB. That’s 144% of what was already 120%. And that’s before other factors that might mean more money. So $19M quickly grows to $22.8M and then explodes for no less than $32.8M after that.
ice-t hater GIF

Yep, but the 2025 QB franchise tag will probably be in excess of $40M, so that’s what he’d be looking at with a 3rd tag.