Draft Nuggets…

I always wondered why there weren’t hybrid Kickers/Punters. I would think they both, in fact, are the same skill-set. Being able to kick the sh*t out of a ball.
Would save a roster spot. Just gotta pay the guy that can do it.

1 Like

I’m not an expert but I would imagine it’s because it’s two distinctly different types of kicking. And when you have guys who have traditionally been practicing just that one type of kick for their whole pro career, maybe that is the perception from teams in that they want them to focus on one thing and be an expert at that one thing.

The few times I’ve kicked or punted a football were enough to know 1) I suck at it and 2) I can see how different they both are

But who knows? It only takes one guy. Nobody thought there would be a pitcher and hitter in baseball again but then Ohtani comes along…

…only because Matt Stafford decided to play football. if he had been baseball, he’d win every offensive and defensive title that baseball ever invented.
Big. Hairy. American. Winnin’-Machine!

1 Like

Definitely is. I can’t kick a football to save my life, but I can punt way better than you would expect.

Side note. Teams typically want the better looking guy to punt, rather than kick.
Not sure why. :wink:

2 Likes

Kicking and punting are about as similar as hitting a baseball and hitting a golf ball.

3 Likes

I’m certainly not the only one who feels the Lions will entertain offers for their 32nd pick. This seems more of a likely move than trading out of #2. Also, not ruling out the possibility that they package #32 & #34 to move up if they are very high on a prospect.

1 Like

loved that guy as our kicker.

I’d love a trade down from 32, we need players and the draft from 32 to 100 is strong. With no 4th and a late 5th something in those rounds would be great.

Brad is gonna pick some dudes that most of us have never heard of that will end up like St Brown & Iffy…or better. We’re gonna get 4 or 5 nice starters out of this draft.

4 Likes

I agree with this. I knew a guy who punted for SF back when they won the SB with Young at QB. He was both a kicker and punter at Louisville. He was really good but SF drafted him as a punter. I’ve watched him hit 67 yard FGs in practice.

He was a few years ahead of me at high school and helped teach me a few things about kicking (I kicked in the old CIAU - Canadian College football - back in the 90’s for 4 years).

Anyway, back on to my original intent: the other problem is, if this single player goes down, now you are screwed both kicking AND punting! Can’t put all your eggs into one basket.

2 Likes

10000%. People like spilling the beans. This isn’t national security, it’s which guys in baseball caps want to coach with guys in tight pants.

All these claims seem legit.

This, absolutely! Great point regardless of how good someone’s leg may be. Double exposure to risk and injury

@SkyHock thanks for this post, great info and I appreciate the intel. Hope you had fun at the wedding and congrats to you and the family!

Matt and Clayton Kershaw are actually fraternal twins that Bobby Layne’s granddaughter separated at birth to keep the Curse alive.

Kershaw’s Favre-like lefty gunslinging would have won the Lions a Super Bowl, and Matty would have broken Ryan’s season strikeout record., but in this shittier alternate timeline we live in, Layne’s besotted spectre wins again.

ghost library GIF

5 Likes

Titus Young actually suffers from severe mental illness. He was diagnosed with bipolar/schizophrenia as well as CTE. Whatever the actual disease state, Young’s illness led to serious substance abuse issues as well as a wild string of violent crimes and insane behavior.
Sad.

4 Likes

Experiencing another bad trip??..Maybe its time for something a little less toxic…A New Day is Coming…

2 Likes

This one in particular seems destined to happen this year. All of them seem very plausible to me, except perhaps #4 on the punter.

One advantage to having both kicker and punter is that one is a backup to the other (injuries happen). Remember Prater punting…he wasn’t great, but serviceable.

Thanks to the OP – great info.

1 Like

I grew up playing soccer when AYSO was pushed on kids in the 80s/ early 90s. I have never been able to kick a football off a tee. Not once have i ever connected properly trying to boot one off of the ground. But like you i could punt pretty well.

1 Like

The first two episodes of the final season of Better Call Saul did not disappoint last night

Viewers, effectively, saw the Last Episode first. Going forward, episodes will continue to build how we get there. Loved the debut of the future Saul’s Office “Hood Ornament”, of the Statue of Liberty floating outside of the scheming, ripoff tax return preparer’s office in the middle of nowhere. Future plot line will center around how Saul gets to keep the Statue. Will be interesting to see how Saul’s wife gets more and more corrupted by Saul & the legal profession, in general.

Good to see most of the former characters back, if only for a cameo. Gustavo & Salamancca battle weekly over distribution of crank, before Walter begins to cook. Might see Jesse & Hank. Interestingly, locally in LA, there’s a new fast-food chicken restaurant, opening up soon, with a very similar logo to Los Pollos Hermanos, called the Chicken Man. Circular, color scheme, inscribed with a Chicken Head, called the Chicken Man. If you see it driving by, you will do a double-take for sure, it’s that close. Very Funny!