Draft swing and a miss

Aaron Curry. I was convinced that this guy was the goods. I didn’t necessarily want to take him over Stafford but I was considering it for a time. Oof

Chris Claiborne is another one. He was a monster at USC. I thought he was the next Junior Seau. Double Oof

1 Like

Patricia was my final lesson on giving new a new staff three years to make this team a winner.

I always wanted to give them the time for consistency sakes. But, Patricia destroyed a competent team…consistency be damned.

2 Likes

Ryan Broyles

I didn’t watch him in college. Didn’t bang the table or nothing like that. Another bad use of a second round pick.

However, he used to get torn up so bad on the board, I wanted him to succeed in the worst way just to shut people up. But he didn’t.

1 Like

I was going to start a thread similar to this. One of the big ones for me is Kevin Jones. I started a thread on the board in the months leading up to the draft justifying taking him with the 6th pick. :joy:

Other notables: Cedric Benson, Leonard Fournette, Sammy Watkins. I also thought Mike Doss could turn out to be a better pro than Polamalu. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Forgot about Huff and yeap, I thought Claiborne would be a great LB

Might be a little early to decide on Ed Oliver though. He has shown some flash the last couple years

Well I remember saying to a friend, ‘Indy has a tough choice at one. I wouldn’t be surprised if Leaf ends up being a better pro…’

1 Like

He’s the first guy I though of. Total stud at USC.

Speaking of studs at USC that I thought was going to be a stud in the NFL - Rey Maualuga!

2 Likes

I was so happy when he “fell” to us. Fairley too but I wasn’t quite as high in him.

That was a draft that frustrated me.

I wanted Maualuga or even Laurinaitis over Delmas.

Man, forgot about him. I remember thinking at 20 he’d be our pick. Then, of course, he wasn’t. I was so excited when the 2nd came around because, clearly, that’s who we’d target… NOPE again!
I still have this old picture saved from Dan Miller doing a walk-through pre-draft:

It’s grainy as crap, but if you notice, there are no Middle Linebackers on the team’s depth chart. I thought for sure Maualuga or Laurenitis would be our target at 20.

I was so mad about the Pettigrew pick. Led to some wicked fights on Nets board. :joy: I wanted one of the LBers, but actually wanted Mack

I was also banging the drum for Matthews. I watched the OSU upset of USC that year and the player who kept flashing the most for me was him, despite being the least talked about

1 Like

Yeah he was awesome. That brutal leg injury his last year of college I think played a major role in future.

Speaking of brutal leg injuries. I was a big fan of Willis McGahee as a potential replacement for Barry Sanders. I’m not sure if he can be labeled a bust, having a couple of pro bowls on his resume. But he certainly didn’t live up to his billing

Also totally forgot about that. Was sure Maualuga was going to be a stud. He ended up being an average 7 year starter but never lit it up.

Tulloch, Yupong.