Drafting A Running Back Early Poster Child: Ezekiel Elliott

If you’re not convinced by Jeremy Reisman, if you’re not convinced by @Thats2, maybe this time-stamped PFF video thru about 23:00 will:
https://www.youtube.com/live/R5VFYRlMDHQ?feature=share&t=568

2 Likes

I’m a believer you don’t invest big dollars or assets in RB’s.

1 Like

The problem with Zeke was the huge extension, he was terrific on his rookie deal

12 Likes

But caused them to miss out on Ramsey and Stanley, as they said. Opportunity cost for a highly-drafted RB is sky high.

This puts it really well. Zeke was a great player, but…

Exactly. 2 year deals like Jamaal & DMONT that’s max for 2 contract RB

Im starting to like tyjae spears more and more. Does he make it to 82?

1 Like

He’s one of my faves, and I think he does make it to our 3rd rounder because of the two ACL injuries on the same knee. In fact we could pass on him because of that, but if he checks out man I’d love to have him.

1 Like

Yeah, but you can say that for anyone drafted in front of them. You can also point out how long they were with the teams that drafted them. You could have traded Zeke prior to 2nd contract for beans or got the full contract and a comp.

During that contract you had one of the most dynamic players in the game, on a rookie deal

2 Likes

But that’s the thing about RB rookie deals, especially that high in the draft. The moment he signed it he was one of the top paid players at his position. They mentioned it in the video, Barkley was drafted 2nd overall in 2018 making him the 5ish highest paid RB, whereas Bosa was drafted #2 the following year making him the 32nd highest paid EDGE. The difference in savings was almost $20M.

2 Likes

I agree in a vacuum, but it’s not in a vacuum. Will for example this yr, is Murphy or Wilson going to be Bosa at 18 or Bijan a Elliott? Who’s more likely to be the best player? Who will have a bigger impact say in Detroit Bijan for the offense or Murphy for the defense? I know where id put my money and it isn’t Murphy

I don’t know which player specifically will be a better get at a position of higher-value, I only know there will be one, there is every year. Thankfully it’s not on me to figure that out, it’s on Brad.

I think the major part of the affinity for Bijan is that he seems bust-proof. I get it, I like JSN for the same reason. But he plays a position of sky-high value.

And many, many great players had questions coming out that made them far from bust-proof, from Donald’s size to Parsons off-field stuff to Wirfs’s and Slater’s arm length, to Tunsil’s bong photo, to Horn’s grabbiness, to DK Metcalf’s lack of lateral agility, on and on and on. Not being a perfect, high-floor prospect doesn’t mean they won’t be great players. It’s just more of a risk.

2 Likes

Thank you. I feel like this thread is a backfire since he didn’t do his research. We literally have the 1st overall pick from that draft as a “throw in.” :rofl: The 2nd pick is unemployed. The 3rd pick is a beast. The 5th pick is on his 3rd team already. The 6th pick has missed 32 games in the last 3 seasons while only playing in 17…which comes after never playing a full season in his entire career. The 7th pick is on his 2nd team. The 8th pick is on team 4 or 5? The 9th pick is unemployed. The 10th pick is on his 4th team.

Let this be the poster child of threads that backfired.

basketball backfire GIF

The funny thing is I absolutely agree with everything you just said :100:

I think where we differ is on risk. With the available knowledge we have, the safer most likely impact player IMO is Bijan. So unless someone falls or someone i have yet to see reaches the same probability of impact at a higher value position im playing the better odds of a hit. Bijan imo is as safe as you can get at 18 and possibly the biggest impact player.

Thinking out loud and not sure it makes sense but with the value of RB where it is does a reverse draft psychology work? Yea, doesn’t make sense, LOL. if you believe Bijan is a step above everyone else in the draft then…

With the make up of the current RB room
Swift for 2023 then gone
DM for through 2026
why not draft a RB higher if you believe he is worth it.
You get him in his value years, plus tag him one or two so what is that 5-7yrs.
Then you don’t resign him, let him walk get a poss comp pick
You use him when his value to the team is the highest.

I know this works for a 2nd round pick as well so philosophy can go beyond Bijan.

1 Like

With more and more teams going to a RB by committee policy I think you almost need to take a RB every year and not in the 5th or lower round.

This is just all a matter of difference of opinion over what we want out of a 1st round pick. If we draft a RB at 6 and he has the exact same career as Zeke, I’ll be disappointed. You won’t. That’s fine, to each his own. I just don’t think an elite RB adds much value to an offense. An elite running game does, but that’s more about the OL and the rest of the parts can be cobbled together cheaply, like how the Eagles and Chiefs did it.

2 Likes

This is also a good response to my last post on RB’s.
Thanks.

Or the 49ers who traded for McCaffery, an older RB who is making over 16 mill per yr, on a 2nd contract.

If Bijan is that good, that rookie deal looks pretty sweet

It’s also a guy that can take full advantage of that Oline.

So can a much cheaper mid-round RB.

I already know I’m in the minority on this and I get it, Bijan’s a really good prospect. But again I don’t think elite RBs are necessary or even that pertinent to winning, so I wouldn’t spend a lot of capital on them.

2 Likes

See we disagree there by and large.

There wasn’t a mid rd Zeke, Faulk, James, Sanders, McCaffery m, Barkley etc

Can you find them, sure sometimes.

The majority aren’t Zeke, and they won’t do what he can