Drafting A Running Back Early Poster Child: Ezekiel Elliott

Did they replace Adams?

They used the Adams 1st round pick to take Quay Walker. They used the 2nd round pick from the Adams trade to move up for Watson. They won 8 games. If you don’t see a correlation and a mismanagement of the WR position, I can’t help you. I’d scream if that were our WR room.

I mean, if you say the Vikings replaced Diggs with Jefferson, then yes the Packers attempted to replace Adams with Watson. They went around the same range and Watson actually cost the Packers more in draft capital. The fact that it worked out unimaginably better than the Vikings could have ever hoped doesn’t change the fact that they both went about replacing their stud WR in essentially the same way.

But by and large I don’t disagree with your point that the Packers did rely far too heavily on Adams to get away with moving on from him without suffering. He was far more important to them than Diggs was to the Vikings. I just think they spent quite a bit of capital attempting to replace him, is all. Those two 2nd rounders were the equivalent of spending a 1st round pick on the kid.

The Chiefs have used Pacheco, Mackinnon, and 2 different Williams JAGs to produce more in the playoffs than Zeke did.

Chiefs RBs….

1 Like

It should be simple to agree that they fudged up.

Yep, let me know when they accomplish what zeke did, ir Faulk, or James, Gurley, McCaffery, Barry etc.

Anyway you cut it, your going on a hope and a prayer vs the consensus bpa and highest odds to succeed.

I can make a better argument for not drafting a QB high. The best ever was a 6th rd pick, Wilson a 3rd, Brees a 2nd, Montana a 3rd. It’s still a poor argument and means little

What has Zeke really accomplished?

He had 3 good years.
They won 2 playoff games… in 7 years.
Dallas has paid him $70.7 million.

$10.1 million per season… not being spent on premium positions.

The Chiefs seem to be everyone’s poster child about RB value. Yet they spent a 1st round pick on a RB. Weird.

I know right, lol

Premium to who? Clearly premium to Dallas

And maybe learned their lesson.

1 Like

So what’s San Frans excuse for not only paying a 2nd contract back but trading for him

Giants and Barkley

The team the drafts Bijan in the first possibly as a top 10

I’m tired of repeating my reasoning for believing RB value to be low, so for now I’ll let these people speak for me. Peruse at your leisure. I’m particular fond of the one written by the former NFL exec.

For the record, I subscribe to the same theory about avoiding RBs in the 1st round. I just don’t lose sleep over it.

That’s all fine and dandy a bunch of opinions you agree with. I get it, but the difference is there are still teams going the other route and again teams that value tbe run and build their offense around it will place its value higher and do.

It’s your opinion to play moneyball at rb and draft admittedly worse players

I see a different view. If the bpa is a RB, and you think he’s a stud get him on a cheap rookie deal and recycle every 3 to 4 yrs and recoup draft capital.

1 Like

I have never once admitted I would draft worse players.

Im sorry, thought it was clear what i was referring to. Your willing to take a worse rb to save money. You refuse to draft any rb in the first and rarely in the 2nd no matter if they’re a generational talent or not in favor of a mid to late rd RB

That’s fair, but I could also phrase it like this: you’re willing to take worse players at CB, EDGE, OT, WR and QB to waste money.

And it’s not really about the money anyway, it’s about sound roster construction. And when constructing a roster, money matters. If this was MLB or soccer, I wouldn’t give af. But you watch what happens to the Bears in a couple of years after spending so much of their FA allotment on low-value positions. It might work for a year or two but will eventually put them behind the 8-ball again.

I respect that you love Bijan and want to take him regardless of the poor value. That’s your stance and it’s legit. You’re certainly not alone on this board. But I’ll never believe it’s not a really bad value play. And most of the NFL sides with me on this. Just read those articles.

Well i suppose you could say it, but I don’t think so in this case.

Bijan is as far as I can tell a unanimous top 5-10 player in the entire draft. If he’s there at 18, I highly doubt a better player is available

Super weird!!!

In his 24 years as a coach… Andy Reid’s team has selected a RB with a top 50 pick only 1 time… and he did it after he finally won a Super Bowl with a UDFA RB castoff rushing for over 100 yards in the Super Bowl.

Every other player drafted to a Andy Reid team in the 1st round has played OL, DL, QB, or CB.

Even when the Chiefs traded away 1st round picks…
they did so to move to pick a QB or to get a DE (Frank Clark).
They once traded down out of the 1st round… and then still selected a DL (Chris Jones) at #37.

So weird………

Yeah, i know maybe if he’d took someone like Emmitt he wins 3, crazy to think about

1 Like