Dre Bly returns!

21 Likes

Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

11 Likes

OK, we have to search out who brought his name up a week ago and give him props. (ETA: it was actually 3 weeks ago!)

I just bumped the thread. It was @Mobetta20

17 Likes

Interesting hire

He was DB coach for the Tar Heels the past 3 years in the ACC

also another player coach hire lmao

7 Likes

This is actually really cool! I loved when he played. He was a baller. Glad to have ya back Dre!

11 Likes

I’m definitely excited about this one. Loved Bly as a player and he always seemed like a really good guy. Obviously that doesn’t mean he’s a good coach, but given his history it is going to make it really easy for me to root for him.

3 Likes

I read an article the other day from POD suggesting Kevin Smith as RB coach.

Miami RB coach Kevin Smith

Another direct Lions link, Smith was Detroit’s third-round pick in 2008. However, his merits go beyond familiarity with the franchise. He’s been in the coaching ranks since 2015, and he’s quickly gone from UCF to Florida Atlantic to Ole Miss and now to Miami, showing that he’s been rising the ranks pretty quickly. Notably, he coached under Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic and followed him to Ole Miss.

He’s still relatively young (36), but the Lions have not shied away from former players just a few years removed from their playing careers.

4 Likes

one that’s very exciting news, I always liked bly.

two, I LOVE the good place. such a good show.

2 Likes

This popped up on my youtube feed. Apparently they were throwing it out as a possibility on this channel 11 months ago. However, the angle they were coming from was the possibility of losing Aubrey to a DC job somewhere else.

3 Likes

So its cool that he’s an ex-Lion.

Is he a good coach?

4 Likes

Loved the dude as a player, but he was let go from his college gig as an alumni & his best skill there was recruiting…

I am not seeing it, put me down in the skeptical area

5 Likes

I’m a little worried for the same reasons… I loved him as a player and I hope he succeeds here. It would be a bummer if he doesn’t do well.

3 Likes

Despite Bly’s success on the recruiting trail, North Carolina’s pass defense struggled while stars like Grimes, who entered the transfer portal last month, showed little progress in recent years.

“We all love Dre Bly and appreciate what he means to the University of North Carolina as a Hall of Famer, an unbelievable advocate for the program, and an excellent coach,” Brown said. “Dre and I mutually agreed to part ways so that he could explore other opportunities in the coaching profession. We appreciate everything he’s done for the program over the last few years and wish him nothing but the best moving forward.”

North Carolina’s defense allowed 271 passing yards per game (116th nationally) and an opponent Total QBR of 68.7 (113th) in 2022

1 Like

TBF though it aint just pass D

Tar Heels defense was terrible (ACC is just shit defensively, go figure), but they had no pass rush and their run D was also pretty bad.

My only big issue is seeing how the DB’s Developed, thats the indicator, and something to get a deep look into

im skeptical aswell

2 Likes

oooooohhhh Welcome Back Dre Bly.

Forbes is definitely a big play Dre guy…looking even better round 2 now

1 Like

So are our corners gonna be gambling a bit more

6 Likes

I hope he prints t-shirts for all the dbs in camp that say ‘turn your head’

2 Likes
7 Likes

And no more of do your job…

1 Like