DT Alim McNeil--perhaps, playing better than some think

Jon Ledyard
@LedyardNFLDraft

Falcons had no answer for McNeill. He was eatin’ all game.

Jon Ledyard
@LedyardNFLDraft

Tried cutting him, scooping him, doubling him, running away from him. He blew it all up.

The foregoing is belied by his high PFF grade for the game:

2 Likes

Who is Jon Ledyard ?

1 Like

Alim opened the season playing like hot garbage. Below replacement level. However the season is young - hopefully he turns it on and plays like he Sunday more often

2 Likes

Somebody lit a fire under him, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

Alim was very good vs the Falcons. He was almost unblock-able last year vs the Giants. The flashes are impressive.

Now the next step is to show up consistently. He’s got talent. Reminds me of Barnes a lot. Huge learning curves for both guys, but they both have talent and they both flash at times. Alim is all of 23 and Barnes 24.

4 Likes

Penei at LT is playing better than some give him credit for as well. Yes he had two costly holding penalties but he is still the dancing bully we all know and are inspired by.

3 Likes

Atlanta sucks! Talk to me at the end of the year! I still feel DT is one of the biggest needs on this team.

1 Like

They were 2-0, beat the Packers, and the Lions made them look bad.

Jon Ledyard is also putting together a piece at Pride of Detroit Direct. I’ve been appreciating the paid subscription part of POD five bucks, a month, three pieces a week, one of which is from Jon Ledyard. Other national riders contribute as well.

Atlanta sucks…on the road

They are good at home

1 Like

Fit Alim needs more love.

5 sacks… 9 qb hits. He’s playing like a top 10 - 3 tech in the nfl

The last time a Lions DT had 5 sacks through 10 games… his name was…

You already know…

SUH

7 Likes

Tease GIF by Shark Week

1 Like

SLIM MCNEIL!!! I was hard on him after the first 2 games this season.

But he has impressed me a ton since

3 Likes

I think he has been our best player on defense for the last 2 years. People tend to just look at sacks and splash plays but we have a top 3 run defense in the NFL and that all starts with Alim.

3 Likes

Imagine if the refs called the holding in Alim… almost every snap.

1 Like

McNeil on Goff and defense:

McNeill said it feels good to answer the bell for his quarterback, after Goff has done the same at so many points this season.

“That’s just what we do. That’s complementary football … it might not be going the best on the other side, (but) the other’s side got to pick it up,” McNeill said.

“But Jared still — he closed that game for us. He’s the reason we won that game. He went down and drove down that field. Whatever happened happened over there, but we were able to pick each other up as a team.”

6 Likes

Both he and Hutch get held on pretty much every play they gain an advantage in. Hell look at the final Hutch strip sack safety where he is held all the way through making the play. Especially look at the angle looking at Hutch coming towards the camera. That shit happens 20 times a game to him.

2 Likes

I saw this as well. The ref was watching it the whole way and never threw a flag. I think refs are expected to keep flags in their pocket to make games more exciting and competitive at the finish for our TV viewers.

2 Likes