Eagles ‘exploring’ trade to get back into the top 10 in 1st round

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/15042/Lions-reportedly-seeking-trade-down-in-2021-NFL-Draft

Nos. 12 & 37 would be a nice haul for No. 7, but the apparent motivation would not require them to move up to No. 7:

9. Philadelphia Eagles (via Broncos) : CB Patrick Surtain II, Alabama.

There’s been rumblings that Howie Roseman is looking to get back into the top 10, and that would conceivably be for one of two things: To jump ahead of the Giants for DeVonta Smith, or to get ahead of the Cowboys for Surtain. This is a deep wide receiver class and the Eagles have plenty of picks they can use on that position later on. There are no cornerbacks quite at Surtain’s level in this class and that’s a major need right now.

Again, I want Miami’s 1st next year. I’d rather have 3 1sts next year than 2 2nds this year.

1 Like

The chances of that happening are slim to none. That would take a remarkable turn of events where someone completely out of the that they never imagined in a million years being there at 7 is there. Stranger things have happened, but the Eagles took a top of the market deal to move from 6 to 12 for a 1st round pick and for them to give up what they got from Miami just to move back up 1 spot AFTER where they were already picking would be mind boggling to say the least.

1 Like

I don’t think PHI trades up far if they trade up at all.

Horn is a heck of a CB and I think he goes higher than people are expecting.

1 Like

Not when there are 5-6 QBs and 5-6 WR’s (including Pitts) that will go in round one of this draft. Probably 10 of those guys will go in the top 20 picks. Think about that!! The actual prospect talent of who you will get in the 2nd this year, or the middle of the first next year, likely won’t be hugely different (outside of QB and WR) and you have the benefit of starting a 2nd year guy next year instead of a clueless rookie. There are so many impact starters in the 2nd round this year, especially on defense, that I want to stack as many as possible. If Sewell is there at 7, I take him, erry one else… Trade Down is preferable and two trade downs would be even better. We could walk away from day 2 with 6 players taken. Think what that could do for us.

1 Horn CB2 (starter)
2a Onwuzurike 3t DT (starter)
2b Grant SS (starter)
Starting Secondary and Dline complete
3a Bolton ILB (starter) Take Monty Rice later on as coverage ace
3b Wallace WR (starter slot) Take Trevon Grimes later on as tall outside WR threat

If you get your guy and add anything of value it’s better than getting not your guy at the right value. Perhaps they feel they can do that.