Eagles Sign Suh

That definitely means he would have considered signing here. Maybe you haven’t heard, but our defense is historical. A once in a generation unit. We are literally setting records. Defense wins championships baby!

That’s the sales pitch and you hope like hell he doesn’t look it up to see what we really meant. :rofl:

1 Like

They are 8-1…. and the roster is as talented as any in the NFL…
so fairly certain they make the playoffs.

Michael Richards Yes GIF

3 Likes

so odd how we constantly put an offense out that can rank higher than 10th, but defense is the one set on the back burner.

maybe because the have a full team? I don’t know like a real Offense & Defense plus a QB?

Lions’ slap together a group to call a defense that can never play correctly and a offense that has a few surprises. but it’s only something to get to 53 players to try and do anything each season. -The Lions.

That’s what happens when you have guys like Quinn signing guys like Flowers, Collins, etc and Mayhew operating with a blank checkbook and renegotiating Suh’s contract so many times, that we can’t franchise him and Millen, well being Millen.

We’ve severely abused the salary cap and this is what happens when 1) you abuse it and 2) you don’t try to reset it (like Chicago and Atlanta did this year).

We’ve spent almost as much as Chicago and Atlanta and they finally cried uncle and reset.

You can fix it, that’s what Holmes is trying to do (but that’s also what Quinn and Mayhew tried to do), but I really think we should have blown it up.

Time will tell.

3 Likes

I would really enjoy watching Suh sack Rogers a few times when Eagles and Packers play!

We NEED a defense that players like Suh want to play in!

The players that matter know… defense wins championships! SOLF, not so much. Build a defense that great players want to be a part of, because that will win championships!

2 Likes

even free agents wouldn’t mind coming here -then…like your opinion here @RickOShea .

Suuuuhhh

I was wondering when the big guy was going to sign with somebody.

Plus I’ll bet he holds a grudge that the organization didn’t make him their ultimate priority above all else and offer him the keys to the kingdom to stay.

I’m pretty sure Suh didn’t choose the Rams in 2018 and the Bucs in 2019 because of the defense in place.

The 2017 Rams had the highest scoring offense in the NFL… and ranked 10th in yards. The defense ranked 12th in scoring and 19th in yards allowed.

The 2018 Bucs were 12th highes scoring offense… and 3rd in yards. The defense was 31st in scoring… and 27th in yards allowed.

Kind of looks like he chose those teams because they had good offenses….

1 Like

That’s what happens when you have GM’s that consistently abuse the salary cap. Everyone says, “Lets do what the Rams are doing”, problem is we did what the Rams are doing and that’s why we are in the spot we are in. Since 2002, Detroit has spent $20M more in cash on players than the Rams. That’s why we are in such a bad spot because every dollar you give a player has to hit the cap at some point.

What Les Snead did this year by giving $110M in signing bonus money to Stafford, Donald, Kupp (cash paid in 2022, but will hit the cap ratably over the next 5 years), will finally pass the Lions in cash paid to players (since 2002).

That is why we can’t spend on our defense, because of incompetence, neglect and abuse by our former GM’s.

Incidentally, according to Field Yates, Suh signed for $250K signing bonus, $750K base salary, $250K in per-game roster bonuses, plus $1.25M in incentives. He can earn up to $2.5M, while he counts $2M against the Eagles cap.

Suh would have never have signed here for 2 or 3 times as much. It was never about the money, it’s about getting a ring.

3 Likes

Let that $20 million number sink in…….

One of the worst teams in the NFL for the past 20 years…
has paid more money than a team that has been to multiple Super Bowls…

1 Like

That’s why we say Lions ownership isn’t cheap. They just make stupid decisions and the those lead to other stupid decisions. But from a willingness to spend a dollar standpoint, that’s not what is holding the modern team back.

2 Likes

You’re right, 100%. And I respect him wanting to win. Just not sure how i feel about players sitting out all year and waiting to sign with super bowl contenders in mid November. I mean good for them. But, when you can add players like Suh on the cheap, it kinda gives some teams an unfair advantage IMO. The Rams got OBJ last year for what amounted to peanuts. I’m likely just jealous though, because no one ever comes to Detroit on the cheap.

1 Like

And you know when the Lions become a contender and move to sign a vet who has been sitting out for a playoff run, the league will veto it and in the next off-season make a rule about late signings

1 Like