Emotional overinvestment and bad online behavior

I’m sure none of you are surprised that I slammed into this topic like a moth to a porch light.

1 Like

I am drawn to this thread while also having competing ideas in my head.

1 Like

Speaking of 2+2=4, sky is blue, water is wet…
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Love it, and I love when people have counter points to my ideas. My ideas/work always gets deeper when stuff like that come up.

Yes, in the simplified Myers-Briggs sort of framework.

I suppose I was referring more to “big 5” facets of extroversion like gregariousness, positive emotions (aka neuroticism), excitement-seeking, and activity level. There seems to be a high level of correlation between people who I would see scoring very low on those aspects of extroversion and people most adamant about making aspects of the lockdowns “the new normal”.

Yup - and lots of “rules” that have come of behavioral studies have been more “rules of thumb.” Always room for growth and change, and always exceptions and variations of similar/same principles. Lots of things are disputable.

Funny, my brother has said something similar.
The numbers don’t work, though. Sooner or later, you’re on someone’s list. LOL

1 Like

From your response I’m going to assume you don’t have much experience with introverts. Or you are such an introvert that even the concept gets a purely analytical response.

LOL. Actually, neither assumption about introversion is true (the nerd part obviously is).

My wife is an introvert’s introvert by any measure or definition. On the MBTI scale I tend to test slightly extroverted, and most people who know me would peg me as an extrovert (even though I actually need alone time to recharge).

One of the points I was trying to make is that the simplified pop psychology definitions of introvert, while helpful and useful in many ways, are an incomplete framework for explaining many things.

The Big 5 version of extraversion and its facets do add elements to the discussion that I think are useful (even beyond my interest in the analytical aspects).

Using me as an example, MBTI scores me as middle-of-the-road, while the Big 5 shows that I have very high scores in Assertiveness, Positive Emotions (aka low Neuroticism), Warmth, and Gregariousness, while scoring extremely low on Activity Level and Excitement Seeking.

Unlike one’s preference for being alone vs. with other people, some of the Big 5 facets are objectively healthy or unhealthy. Low scores in Warmth and Positive Emotions can be socially challenging.

All this is background to my original point that it seems that many of the unhealthy parts of introversion have been the real motivation for many people’s preferred policy reactions to certain unnamed public health issues.

To your earlier point that kicked off this whole discussion, I think those unhealthy elements are part of what makes online interactions more toxic.

I think the biggest thing to realize is that people fall at different points on the scale. Its not as simple as being one or the other. And a person can lean one way but have traits of the other. I think that’s what you were getting at. I guess I just took exception because it almost seemed like you were basically laying out the traits of extroverts as being all good and the goal for everyone…and anytime you don’t match the chosen traits of an extrovert that’s a bad thing.

Other than that I stand by my original statement, and I’m not sure where there is much room to argue against it. “Introverts by nature desire deeper level interactions with less people vs more shallow interactions with more people.” The surface level interactions that extroverts seem to find reward in are a chore to an introvert.

1 Like

Exactly!
All people have all personality traits at different times, in different situations, and to varying degrees. Doesn’t matter which components of personality you are breaking down, wether you are using “energy” measurements, astrology, human design, gene keys, psychology, human needs behavior, love languages, erotic blueprints, vibrational scale, etc, etc, etc.

We’re all bipolar (way more than bipolar, actually) LOL. Our personalities change in different scenarios, and with different humans.

Levels and layers of gray. There are lots of presonality breakdown. I’m ENFP-A on that one.
Lots of the test will be mostly correct, but none of them will totally peg you.

That’s because they measure tendencies/patterns.

All of this stuff is varying levels and layers of gray. Not black and white.

Excellent observation!
So much projection in society right now…it’s a pandemic of epic proportions.

1 Like

Another random comment: some people get off on saying nasty stuff to people online. Whenever someone talks about the “comments section” of an article or video I don’t listen to what’s coming next. The comments section is an even bigger cesspool that other parts of social media. A Martha Stewart cooking video gets horrible comments on them. Noone is safe.