Establishing a new culture!

I was being coy about my obsession with Michael Brockers and his deficient on-field performance.

The Lions traded our 2023 7th round draft pick for him, when the Rams would have otherwise cut him in order to stay under the salary cap in March 2021. Brockers’s value as a mentor and culture role model was huge last year and, IMO, that value is negligible this year because of the massive progress in that arena last year.

1 Like

Touche. JJ and the culture he instilled had the advantage of a different era: No camera phones. Holmbell doesn’t, which makes our newly cemented culture that much more impressive. The craziest it gets now is Iffy going through a burger drive-thru.

Remember the good ol’ days of Aaron Berry guns and Fairley DUI speeding? It’s going to be a slow summer for Lions news…

4 Likes

Suh crashing his car on a bye week, leshoure tearing his Achilles then testing positive for weed… although not exactly the same burleson trying to catch a falling pizza while driving…

The aaron berry one took the cake from that era I think… I was really excited about his potential and it all went down the drain

What’s helped me believe it as more than just hype is that you heard the exact same thing from the locker room in Miami. Those players wanted Campbell as their head coach. He also transformed that culture from toxic to fun. That team played hard for him. So this isn’t a one off. This is becoming a pattern. These coaches understand what the players need and how to relate. Patricia treated players like they were children. Campbell treats them like grown men. He tells them what he wants and expects them to follow through. Players are always going to respond better to that style of leadership.

4 Likes

That flew over everyone’s head …

1 Like

Yet another example of why I would be a horrible teacher…

1 Like

I am on board with Shelia, Brad , Dan and Co.

What has me hooked is the synergy through multiple levels of the organization. OK…that and knee cap biting.

I just really like the collaboration between the front office, scouting and coaching staff. They look comfortable with each other to me…and it gives me confidence.

They make me feel like the wins are coming…but that’s just it, the wins actually need to come for me. I’m just a bigger fan of tangible results…than my feelings.

I guess I’m enjoying them at my own pace…and it is enjoyable

2 Likes

I’m as pessimistic about the Lions as you can get, and even I think this staff “feels” different.
However, as stated in another thread, my hand has to many snake bites to officially stick my hand in the grass again. @JadedLionsFan put it best. Show me the wins first, then I’ll start drinking the Honolulu blue anti venom.

3 Likes

You guys can’t be saying “smart people” shit to me when I’m this tired …and expect me to catch it. LOL.
Actually took a nap, today.

Okay so I will admit the Kool Aid is starting to taste tantalizing. I live in Indiana. There are a ton of Bears fans in Northern IN as well as the Colts fans. What I have universally been hearing is how much they like our coach. Even the bears fans. And that’s with a LOSING season. Buckle up fans. If we bat .500 the Kool aid will still taste good. Anything over that and it will be like the original Coca Cola.

2 Likes

Great post. Simply bc of the effort and time it clearly took to make it. Respect it. Love it. Let’s get after it!

My biggest fear is also the loss of goodwill if we falter so it’s important we continue moving UP and not finish 3-14 or whatever. Got get at least 7.

2 Likes

Mine as well. I think he has to get close to .500 or it will be difficult to keep players bought in.

3 Likes

Brady told Dan Kraft the same thing.

1 Like

Dan Campbell is definitely a character.

You know who else was? Marty Morninwheg.

I need to see wins. I really like Dan Campbell and love that players like him. None of it matters if they don’t start winning. With the easy schedule, this is the year to see it.

If we don’t, there will be serious doubts as to Campbell’s ability to coach.

1 Like

Morningwheg reminded more of Fatty Matty than MCDC

4 Likes

Always take the wind in OT, it’s impossible to kick into the wind. lol

Everyone misses his worse mistake on that drive. He should have taken the penalty instead of declining it.

1 Like

because “the bar is high”……

1 Like

If you’re going to compare MCDC to any of the post-Fontes failures, it’d have to be Marinelli. There are some parallels there.

Moronwheg was much more of a poseur.

2 Likes

It should be obvious that this is a much different regime than any we’ve had here in our lifetimes.

The wins will come
Get off the fence already!!

2 Likes