Estimated 53 Man + PS Cap Hit

So now the roster is completed. The cap hit is only the top 51 contracts.
The in season cap hit will be different.

Current cap ceiling is $227.21mil
Estimated 53 Man Roster $186.47mil
Current Dead Cap is $19.66mil
Estimated Practice Squad hit is $2.00mill
Estimated added dead cap from cutting/ Waving players $0.70mil
Estimated IR/PUP (Hooker) $1.04mil
Grand total estimated hit $210.91mil

Estimated cap space for regular season?
$16.31 mil!

More than enough room if the lions want to trade for a player to put them over the top!

7 Likes

I think that can be applied toward next years cap…we have guys that are gonna need contracts.
Hard saying what Brad will do

2 Likes

Goff last year
Decker Last Year
St brown last year
Walker last year
Harris last year
Yea a few guys are gonna need paid

If not mistaken
Goff has two more years on his contract, but, yes, they will need to do something but probably not til after this season. IF they decided to do so.
Decker is signed through 2024 or 2025 as is Walker.
I think Harris is signed through 2024.

I’m not saying they won’t need to be paid, justpointing out they are not on their last year.

5 Likes

Yea like you said roll it over to next year so you can pay them next year.

Its rarely good to let a good player play on their last year of their contract if you are really set on keeping thrm

2 Likes

Nice breakdown.
I have us at a little over $9M in extra cap space.

• You’re a little low on PS salary, the minimum per week is $12K this year, 18 weeks for 16 players at $12K is $3,456,000 . . . probably be closer to $4M with some vets earning $16.1K per week.
  • Plus there are practice squad elevations (we usually do 2) probably at least $1M for the year.
  • At least $4M for in-season moves (IR, injury settlements, etc.)

Jonah is on his final year of his contract and needs to be extended . . . any extension for him will likely increase his cap hit this year.

Gives us nice flexibility, especially if we want to bring in someone at trade deadline or extend Goff.

6 Likes

I’m not sure Jonah is going to get paid by the Lions. Can we really afford to pay Jonah, Sewell, St. Brown, and Goff!? I guess it’s possible Goff isn’t the QB, if the Hooker looks great next year when he’s healthy. But, lets say we keep Goff long term. St. Brown is getting close to 100 million, Sewell is going to require a massive deal, Goff would need a massive deal. Jonah is probably looking for 12+ mill per season. We got lots of guys who are going to require big investments in the next couple years.

Its certainly possible to pay these guys, but at some point it is going to result in us kicking the can down the road. You can do this successfully for quite a long time (roughly 5-10 years), but eventually it catches up. Sometimes you can “reset” your roster and get back in a good cap situation in a couple years, or it can lead to where the Saints are now.

They constantly refuse to “reset”. For the past 2-3 years they have pushed MASSIVE amounts of cap space into the future just to get under the cap. They are going to be at a severe competitive disadvantage for the next 3-5 years.

Holmes and DC appear to have more then just a 5 year plan. I think they will make tough decisions to let people go instead of kicking the can down the road. Think of the way Belichek did business the past 20 years. Now he knew he had Brady so he could overcome those challenges, but they let a ton of players walk over the years. The Ravens and Steelers have had a similar approach and have remained productive without Tom Brady at QB.

1 Like

That was the long explanation of saying I would be SHOCKED if we re-signed Jonah, unless he is willing to take a pretty steep hometown discount.

1 Like

Y E S!!!

This is exactly what I see → whenever possible, package and trade them, so you at least get something for them. Sign and trade…package and trade for picks

Yep, same. I see Holmes paying foundational type players. Sewell is an example.No offense to Jonah, but guards are often quite replaceable. Elite tackles and QB’s, very hard to find.

3 Likes

Im so curious about so much of this stuff, and how it plays out.

QB for sure
OL
CB

1 Like

CB is another one. Moseley and Gardner Johnson both on 1 year deals. What if they have great seasons? Possibly could be looking at paying 1 of them or both. That would be a good problem to have though because it means they played really well this upcoming season. When you start playing well and winning, free agency decisions become a lot more difficult.

If they both work out pay the better one.
Then let the other walk.
Draft a replacement

2 Likes

IMO, Branch kinda sealed the deal with CJGJ. They play the same role, so unless Branch completely flops this season, I can’t see them committing big money to CJGJ. We do not have a young outside CB waiting in the wings to replace Moseley (I love Jacobs, but he is top notch depth, IMO).

I personally think Moseley will wind up being our top priority re-signing next off-season.

4 Likes

It’s just so hard to predict due to injuries. Hopefully Moseley is healthy and ready to rock coming off the ACL last season. Both Walker and Moseley coming off serious surgeries. And both seem to be doing very well in recovery, but sometimes there is a lot of rust getting back in action.

1 Like

I just don’t see losing our top 3 OG’s in one off season (Jonah, Glasgow/Big V). The OL is the strength of this team, it gives Ben the ability to do pretty much anything he wants, protects Jared and opens holes in the running game. . . to me, it’s important to keep the strength of this team, jus that the strength of this team.

I’ve been wrong before, thought we’d extend Hockenson, thought we’d keep Okudah . . . but seeing what this did for the team, it makes a lot of sense, we aren’t handing high dollar contracts to good players (not great players) that don’t necessarily fit what we need.

I can see why we may let Jonah walk (better player than Okudah/Hockenson). . . but I’d personally like to keep him.

3 Likes

Going into last season, I thought the same thing. But when I analyzed what Brad Holmes has done with his roster construction and dealing with Quinn’s huge mistakes, I realized that Holmes actually has not pushed a lot of cap space into the future, he’s actually pulled some back.

Yes, with virtually every signing that Brad has done, he’s borrowed some money from the future to lessen the current year cap hits for those players. And yes, that’s what initially made me think he was pushing too much into the future . . . but in reality, he was pushing his signings into the future, but ridding himself of Quinn’s awful signings. i.e. in 2021, BH borrowed from Goff’s contract ($15M) and backloaded his UFA signings Swaggy ($1.625M Cap hit on a $3M APY contract), Brockers ($3M cap hit on a $7M APY contract), Re-signed Romeo ($4.5M cap hit on a $12.3M APY contract) . . . So Brad pushed money down the road with those contracts, but at the same time he cut dead weight Justin Coleman ($4M acceleration), Jesse James ($2.85M Acceleration), Christian Jones ($1.1M acceleration). Plus Holmes saved on the base salaries from the dead weight that he cut, from the above guys and guys like Trufant, Danny Shelton etc.

In 2022, he pushed money into the future again with Ragnow’s extension ($7.5M Cap hit on a $13.4M contract) , Decker Restructure ($3.5M pushed into future years), Brockers restructure ($2M pushed to 2023), Vaitai’s restructure ($2.3M pushed to future years), DJ Chark signing ($6M pushed into 2023), T Walker ($3.3M cap hit on $8.3M contract) . . . so while doing that to save money, he again corrected Quinn’s mistakes by recognizing dead cap hits for Flowers and Collins of almost $18.5M in 2022.

At the end of the day, in 2021, Holmes fielded a $160M roster with a $182.5M cap limit, in 2022, he fielded a $200M roster with a $208M cap hit and right now we have a $200M roster with a $225M cap limit.

3 Likes

Updated the estimates
$184.55 53 man roster
$4m for PS
$19.66 dead cap
$0.62 est added dead cap
$4.5 ir/pup

Leaving $13.88

Not to bad.

1 Like

I still have us budgeted at a little over $9M, nothing much has changed.

I have $5M more for the top 53 and 1M less for dead cap (I agree with Jason at OTC and only have $700K dead cap for CJ Moore).