Fanduel odds for the 2nd overall pick

We just resigned Blough and Boyle.
I’ve heard of camp fodder, but, I don’t see it.
How does next years QB class compare?

IMO, I think Carolina may be desperate enough. The question just becomes, do they try to go all the way to #1? If they do then at least we get Hutchinson.

They wanted Stafford last year, were interested in both Rodgers and Wilson, and were very serious about Deshaun Watson. They desperately want a QB. They are essentially out of options unless they get Garrapollo. Now obviously they would have to like a QB in this draft enough to make the move. They passed on Mac Jones and Justin Fields last year (although they had already traded for Darnold at that point).

If they actually believe one of these QB’s is a franchise guy, I would imagine they make the move considering they gave up a 2nd for Darnold last year. I also believe the Seahawks are not going to roll into 2022 believing Drew Lock is their future (regardless what they say in public). They could be a serious candidate as well.

The biggest issue with Carolina is they lack draft captial to trade. They don’t have a pick until the late 4th round after their 6th pick. Could be something like

#2 overall

for

#6 overall
2023 1st
2022 4th (137)
2022 5th (144)
Terrace Marshall

1 Like

Like Trey Lance?

4 Likes

I don’t buy into the thought that Boyle/Blough are going to keep the Lions from drafting a QB if they like one. Not saying that’s Willis at #2, but I can still see one drafted.

I’d also point out that there were quite a few players that they signed last off-season to 1yr deals that didn’t even make it to the final roster. They’ve definitely shown they’re willing to keep the guys they think are the best option for the team, even if they just signed them.

I think most people think next year’s class is much better, but I’m not sure. I don’t waste my time on classes 2 years out because so much stuff can change between now and then.

1 Like

I can’t see the Lions taking a QB at 2. I mean that would be Matt Millen kind of stupid. But I see a lot of value at drafting a QB after that. Ridder has a sh*t ton of potential. Bailey Zappe could be the next Marc Bulger. It would be so incredibly easy to upgrade our backup QB position. I mean we basically have nothing at backup QB. We could pickup Shea Patterson from the Michigan Panthers and it would be exactly zero of a downgrade. We have horse poop for backup QB.

1 Like

I understand why people may think that way, but if the Lions truly view Willis as a franchise guy then thats got to be the pick. Goff is not the surefire answer at QB. You never pass up a franchise QB if you don’t have one.

Now I’m not saying that I view Willis as that or would make that move. My preference would be

Hutchinson
Trade Down

After that I am still torn. I like Walker, but not sure if I’m sold on him that early. Thibodeau scares the crap out of me because he is the type of guy who could be a monster or be out of the league in 3-4 years. I really like Hamilton, but not sure if I could pull the trigger at 2. I personally believe Ridder has the highest upside in this class, but there is just something about Willis that has me believing in this kid. He has the mental makeup and physical tools to take a franchise from a bottom feeder to an annual contender.

Will he ever be able to make the jump from a small school and hit that upside? Thats the gamble. Could be the type of gamble that makes or break Campbell and Holmes tenure here. I am at the point where I will just sit back and enjoy the ride at #2. I’ll have my favorites later on in the draft, but am really undecided at the top.

3 Likes

Malik Willis is truely an enigma. Sometimes you see these guys playing at a lower level of football put up insane numbers, like Bailey Zappe for example. And it will get explained away by him playing at a lower level of football. But the Malik Willis crowd has turned this completely on its head. Liberty is holding Malik back and if he played at a higher level of competition his numbers would be better. I mean the reaches you have to go to get this guy to the top of this draft will make you a world class gymnast.

I think with Rhule’s job on the line Carolina really wants a vet. They’ve aggressively gone after vets while passing on rookies. If they’re trading up for Willis, I’d bet a lot of money they’re doing it for the next regime. Rhule has to start winning now or he’s gone. That’s the main reason I don’t think they’re the likeliest candidate.

Seattle to me makes the most sense. Carroll has won with a rookie (Wilson), so he won’t see it as so much of a hurdle. Plus he has a lot more job security than Rhule, as shown by the Seahawks brass choosing him over Wilson. He can also mitigate some of Willis’s issues with his conservative offense.

That said, I’d want Seattle’s picks in the deal, not Denver’s. Denver is gonna win a lot more with Russ, while the Seahawks could very well stink.

1 Like

I mean, so was Trey Lance, but that didn’t stop SF from not only drafting him, but moving up to do so.

2 Likes

Its not always about the stats he put up. There are many different reasons for that. Most of the QB’s with the NCAA records never did anything in the NFL. It comes down to glimpses of what you see on the field. It comes down to atheltic ability, mechanics, throwing motions, arm strength, accuracy, smarts, work ethic, leadership ability, toughness, etc. Stats don’t always tell the whole story. If Malik has some of those key intangibles, can a good NFL coaching staff bring out the best in him and correct some of his weaknesses?

Everything I see, hear, read on Willis shows me he has some of those intangibles like smarts, work ethic, leadership ability, likability with teammates on top of the high end physical attributes.

If the Lions do their due diligence and believe Malik is the guy then I’m all for it. If they pass I won’t be upset one bit.

1 Like

Lance at least dominated the lower competition he played against. I mean, zero interceptions for an entire season is nuts. I know it’s not sustainable, even the best QBs throw picks, but it definitely speaks to his decision-making (and I’m throwing out the one-off covid year game against UCA).

Willis makes lots of bad decisions which can be seen in his interception numbers and the number of times he’s sacked despite his mobility. It’s nuts. And a lot of that was against bad teams. His performance against Lousiana-Monroe, one of the worst teams in football, was atrocious. The worst game any of these top prospects had. His games against Lousiana and Army weren’t much better.

3 Likes

I definitely agree with your logic here. The only reason I am saying Carolina is they have struck out on veteran QB’s to this point. Garrapollo is the last man left and supposedly he is Indy bound. They could go with Mariota, Winston, or Fitzpatrick in FA, but will any of those guys save Rhule’s job?

His best bet at this point is to get a rookie. If that rookie shows legitimate promise in year 1 maybe that buys him year 2.

Matt Ryan or Jameis could be available, I think they’re both big upgrades on Darnold.

Would the Falcons really trade their franchise icon to a division rival?

Good question. Smart teams would. The Eagles traded McNabb to Washington. They might not have a lot of other options if they want to move him, either. The Colts I suppose. Maybe Ryan goes to Cleveland and Baker goes to Carolina. Rhule has experience playing against Mayfield from their days in the Big 12 together. He’s probably an upgrade too. QB musical chairs.

LOL - Thanks for playing along, bro. hilarious

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with any of this. I personally don’t want Willis, but I can see why someone would. Being an enigma is sometimes more of a draw for some of these GMs because they can envision the highest end of the talent and so many of them are desperate to hit on a game-changing QB.

Below is result of googling Vegas odds NFL draft
Willis pretty high up … gulp

This alone would be enough for me → I’d be SO excited to make that trade

3 Likes

Future beans are even more exciting than current year beans. I get to savor those for an entire year. I get to pretend that draft is going to be so much better than this one.

3 Likes