Favorite horror/sci-fi movies!

Not really traditional horror but Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are both a lot of fun

2 Likes

1 Like

I can understand that thought process regarding the loss of a child, and how it could bring up a lot of feelings.

I’m guessing a lot of the movies many of us watched as kids are pretty corny now, yet we love them still. I love my old Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, Dracula, Godzilla movies but see them now and laugh at the special effects.

2 Likes

It was an inground pool with a 9’ deep end so you couldn’t touch. It must’ve freaked them out. Though I heard quite a few people say they weren’t able to sleep with their feet hanging off the bed at night because of Jaws. As crazy as it sounds…obviously just psychological but some people had that fear of being grabbed by the legs.

3 Likes

Yep. Even in Avatar: Way of Water that got to me despite them being blue alien kids.

1 Like

Right on man. And a lot of good horror movies always have some sort of allegory to them like that, and that’s what makes them good! I do remember getting a chuckle out of the baby running around with a scalpel lol…

Love all those classics you mentioned. And yeah they sometimes look dated but I don’t hold that against them, they were made in a time when they worked with what they had… although some of the Godzilla movies (particularly the “kids ones” like megalon, gigan) were cheesy when they came out haha. But I still like them a lot and will watch them again from time to time

1 Like

Those are both great! Very much enjoyed them both!

Along the same lines, for the addition of comedy:

Zombieland
Tremors
Lake Placid
The Dead Don’t Die
Slither
Eight Legged Freaks
Motel Hell

1 Like

Right on! I have seen the dead don’t die (I like him jarmusch a lot, haven’t seen all his stuff but Dead Man was what introduced me to him) as well as Zombieland. Gotta see the rest, I think I’ve seen tremors but it’s been forever.

A friend of mine’s sister drove us to the theater and bought us tickets to Friday the 13th Part 4. Oh boy was that a bad idea. I was not ready for that sh*t.

2 Likes

Cujo
Christine

Alien series is good as well.

1 Like

Add “Ichi the Killer” and “Oldboy” to that list.

1 Like

I love the original Old Boy. Ichi the Killer is fine in a gruesomeness for the sake of gruesomeness sort of way but Old Boy is actually pretty deep philosophically.

2 Likes

Spike Lee’s Oldboy is wretched

1 Like

Watched ‘Smile’ last night. Reminded me a little of ‘It follows’ thematically. With the antagonist being a metaphor for trauma

Not as great as It follows though. Which does a great job of using Detroit as a character

My mother used to snag all the new releases for rent every Tuesday and bring them home.

I was 17 which meant I was at an intelligent enough stage to fully comprehend it.

That movie mind-■■■■■■ me. Crazy shit.

I will say this. If you’ve never seen it and you do, enjoy. When you realize there are two more, don’t bother. I understand why they did it, but there was no way they were going to live up to the original. I expected disappointment and that’s exactly what the other two were.

Not their fault. Anything coming after that with the “Cube” name on it never stood a chance.

1 Like

Seen this advertised. Is it a film or series?

1 Like

Film

2 Likes

Perhaps because I watched it alone in the dark, but “The Blair Witch Project” freaked me out.
Classic low budget film.

I’ll go along with hereditary as a great scary movie. there is SUCH good acting in that … the dinner table scene is just so friggin uncomfortable.

If you like lovecraftian horror Annihilation with padme is a really great movie. It’s a modern take on colour out of space.

then again there is color out of space with nick cage that’s a lot closer to the actual story.