Favorite "Never Was" Lions Player

We had an undersized RB awhile back that was straight juicing people in preseason, then floundered in regular season (2 years in a row). Why can’t I remember his name?

Billingsley.

1 Like

Are you both talking about the same player? Ty Johnson?

Travis Swanson for me. After watching raiola almost singlehandedly prevent the lions from running up the middle for a decade, I was excited to draft a bigger, stronger center. Alas, we all know how that one worked out.

1 Like

Amari Spievey
Shaun Cody
Gerald Alexander
Derrick Williams
Reuben Droughns

Man there were some awful draft picks. The Lions have been historically bad at drafting DB’s. I always thought Terry Fair was going to be good :man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (FL). Lions 6th round pick in 2017.

He’s gonna be the best backup QB we’ve had since Sean Hill. He might even push Stafford!

I think we can already put Beau Benzschawel in this category, too.

Remember how excited many of us were when we got him as a UDFA, after some draft sites had him going in around Round 3 or so?

4 Likes

ooh that’s a good one

Nope - the dude I’m talking about was the best player in preseason 2 years in a row. Busted some long ones, both as a RB and a KR/PR. Really did well in preseason then suuuuucked balls in real games.

Oh yeah, wasn’t he out of Florida?

Can’t remember. I don’t watch near as much college ball as most of you dudes.

I don’t either, weird brain wiring, alot of times I can remember the college and round selected, but not the name, lol

Nick Eddy RB Notre Dame.
Finished 3rd in Heisman race.
1966 2nd round pick (24 OA), Lions had no first rounder.
Super electrifying player at ND had several injuries, never reached his potential.
Anticipated pairing with '67 first rounder Mel Farr looked to give Lions solid backfield tadem to rival any.
At 13, I started to get the feel for injury- derailed careers and unfulfilled dreams.
If I had only known…

2 Likes

The game doesn’t get bigger than Chris Cash

4 Likes

Nice topic!

“The Best that never was”

1 Like

aaron brown

3 Likes

Its between Joey and Kirkus.

We had just limped through Peete/Ware/Mitchell/Majik/Batch/Detmer when we had a kick ass offense and a lot of talent on D.

And Joey just didn’t have it.

Kircus was just wanting to see this ridiculous fast twitch redneck white guy be the next Don Beebe. He was just not able to get the hang of routes in a system more complicated than GVSU.

I played Turkey Bowl football against his younger brother a few years later…same genetics, just smaller guy. Dude could jump out of the gym on 50/50 balls.

2 Likes

Patrick Edwards?

2 Likes

Reuben Droughns rushed for over 1,000 yards in back to back seasons 2004-2005. He flourished after he left, (see Kerry Hyder).

1 Like

Brandon Powell? I think he ended up with Atlanta.

1 Like