Fields possibly out for the season?

Bears HC–let’s keep doing more of the same! We’re going to rely on Fields to do his best not to get hit…

All that was a recipe to get Fields hit. A lot. Three weeks ago, Fields was fresh and able to use his speed and athleticism to avoid taking big shots. But he seemed a step slow Sunday in Atlanta, and the Falcons made sure he felt them.

Then came the Bears’ final drive, where offensive coordinator Luke Getsy dialed up a QB sweep on first down. Fields ran left and was hit going out of bounds. He fell on his left shoulder after a gain of 1 yard. On the next play, Fields ran a draw up the middle, slid down, and was hammered late. But there was no flag.

The second-year quarterback suffered a left shoulder injury. His status is “day-to-day,” but the Bears haven’t ruled out a season-ending injury.

All that for 5 yards.

Excessively running your quarterback is a recipe for disaster. But the Bears don’t have second thoughts about how they have used Fields.

“You got to balance that,” Eberflus said Monday. "And I’ve said that since we started this, since that New England game. You got to be smart about what you’re doing. I’m still saying the same thing. You got to be smart. You got to stay out of harm’s way. And we’re constantly talking to him about that, because he is an aggressive guy, and he’s strong and all those things, but he is our quarterback.

“We got to make sure that he does get to the sideline and works himself out, and when he is on the middle part of the field, slide. He did a pretty good job of that yesterday, but he was in harm’s way a couple times.”

***** the article continues:

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Trey Lance suffered a season-ending ankle injury running QB power in Week 2. The 49ers had run Lance at a 1:2 pass-run ratio early in his career. Fields has been around a 1:3 ratio over the past month, give or take some decimal points based on your film service.

That’s just too many opportunities to bring catastrophe into play.

The purpose of implementing the quarterback run was to inject life into the offense, get Fields some confidence, and use the threat of it to open up the passing game.

Instead, the Bears kept going back to the well, and eventually, it went dry. Fields is tough, but he can only take so much punishment. As his legs got heavy and defenses adjusted, the hits became more frequent until Sunday, when he crashed to the ground on his left shoulder.

If Fields does play again this season, the Bears have to do a better job of protecting him from defenders and himself. That starts with using the QB run game sparingly. As one of many tools, not your only hammer.

The Bears might not be willing to publicly admit the playcalling Sunday played a role in Fields’ injury. But they need to be self-aware enough to realize it did and be willing to adjust it when Fields returns.

Protecting Justin Fields starts with not putting him in harm’s way in the first place unless absolutely necessary. The future is too important to jeopardize his health in meaningless games in Year 1 of a rebuild.

4 Likes

The historic ‘run’ of games by Justin Fields, ends with a QB designed run for…1 yard.

2 Likes

We just need them to beat the Vikes, then they can go bean collecting all they want.

4 Likes

What’s interesting is they traded a 2nd rounder for Chase Claypool, which is going to be a high 2nd round pick, great value for the Steelers and then decided to keep running with Fields.

Claypool has 5 catches for 32 yards in 3 games as a Bear. Claypool has to be wondering, WTF did you trade for me if we aren’t going to pass the ball much!?

5 Likes

Thanks for the post. Basically, they are simply too one-dimensional. If they had a good OLine, a good screen game, better receivers, that would also take pressure off of Fields trying to run too much. But they have none of that.

3 Likes

Bear down!

Food Eating GIF

7 Likes

And, that’s why I don’t want a running QB.

4 Likes

So I guess it’s a good thing that Goff looks like Gumby, runs like a sloth and rarely misses a game.

1 Like

STAFFORD WENT BACK OUT AFTER JUKING 6 COACHES ON THE SIDELINE AND WON THE FRICKING GAME WITH 00 ON THE CLOCK WITH A DISLOCATED LEFT SHOULDER.

PUSSY

9 Likes

Where you at now on Fields?

You seem to have changed your tune on him a few times now from being down on him saying “I should have known”, to boasting about how great his is, to now.

1 Like

He has always had no help, he has always not been great at making complex reads in the passing game, and he has always been the best athlete on the field. So my opinion has stayed the exact same, but what you see on Sundays is a reflection of what the Bears coaching staff and front office have done for him. At first, they didn’t put him in a position to be successful. He struggled, and I pointed out how I should’ve known he was going to struggle in the type of offense they had him playing. Then, the coaches built the offense around his strengths and he succeeded, and I pointed out how I knew he would be successful in an offense like that. Then he got hurt, again, this week, and I’m no expert, but it feels like a good O line is important to keep a franchise QB upright and to block for him?

1 Like

One of the guys that I work with is a big Bears fan and I told him that it’s hard to evaluate Fields with the lack of talent around him. The O-line, the WR’s, etc. He’s running because he has to right now. If he had weapons though and he’s still not throwing the ball and throwing picks when he does, then there’s a problem.
I don’t see Fields ever becoming a great passer in the NFL but I was wrong about Hurts, so who knows.
It’s different playing at Ohio State with 5 star recruits all over the field with you and playing on the Bears.

4 Likes

For sure, bro! One of the baddest MF’rz to ever lace 'em up! Love that dude!

I for one don’t care!

This dude gettin more talked about on this board than our own QB!

SCREW FIELDS AND CHICAGO!

2 Likes

Was at that game. It was awesome.

And, I don’t believe that competitive fire had died out. That’s why I don’t think Stafford will retire any time soon.

2 Likes

HSV…you and I were the biggest supporters of drafting Fields. We both said the moment he was drafted by the Bears that he would struggle. Its EXACTLY why I am not trippin about him. If the Bears get a Mushin Mohammed & Bernard Berrian-type WR, a Greg Olsen-type TE Fields will be much better for them. Had he been traded to Seattle he would be a much better QB numbers wise and the Seahawks would be the same 6-4 team that they are right now.

1 Like

SCOUT’S READ

One question answered by an unnamed front office source.

Will Justin Fields be the best QB from the 2021 draft class?

NFC SCOUT: “The jury is still out. Right now, he feels like the flavor of the month. The running stuff they’re doing isn’t new and it usually doesn’t last for a long time. Sooner or later, it gets figured out once the division adjusts to the personnel, and there’s always the greater risk of injury (Fields suffered a dislocation in his non-throwing shoulder in Sunday’s loss to Atlanta, after this quote was provided). It still comes back to quarterbacks with that kind of talent being able to beat teams with their ability to pass. The same thing has been true for all those guys, whether it was Robert Griffin III, Marcus Mariota, Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. When they say, ‘They figure you out,’ they’re really talking about teams adapting their personnel to where they have the right people to package against that skill set. There just aren’t enough of those players who have sustained success doing what Fields does unless they become elite throwers like (Buffalo’s) Josh Allen. Allen can beat you throwing the ball 40-plus times in a shootout. You can’t be a one-trick pony in this league if your main talent is running.”

2 Likes

I hate to see this for the kid.

I love to see this for the Bears…

3 Likes

Like most running QB’s, they don’t know how to use the help they have. They have no patience.

1 Like