Fire AG

Consistency has already been a problem for AG. He has to perform weekend and weekout

How about 3 weeks in a row?

2 Likes

The Arizona Cardinals entered Sunday’s game against the Detroit Lions ranked first in the NFL converting 58.3% of their third downs (14-for-24).

Quarterback Kyler Murray was 11-for-11 (now that’s “perfect”) in the first two games and he led the league in that category with a 158.3 passer rating, which would be 200.6 using the BAPR (Balzer Adjuster Passer Rating).

Sunday wasn’t anything close.

They converted their first third down of the game on a third-and-5 pass to wide receiver Michael Wilson on third-and-2 and scored a touchdown later in the drive to tie the game, 7-7. After that, the Cardinals were stoned, failing on all eight of their third-down ties.

As Murray said of the 1-for-9 effort that plummets their season percentage to 45.5, “That’s not good. That’s not how you beat a playoff team and win those types of games.”

For the game, Murray was 3-for-7 for 21 yards on third down for a passer rating of 50.3 that is that “high” because he didn’t have an interception. Had he had one within those seven attempts, his rating would have been 10.8.

1 Like
  • Passing Yards 9th-----246.7 PYPG

• Rushing Yards 5th-----163.0 RYPG

• Total Yds Per Gm 4th—409.7 YPG

4 Likes

AG drastically improved once John Fox was added to help him out.

AG was clearly in over his head when we first hired him and he showed little growth as a DC from year one to year two. He had some real head scratching defensive game plans. (See CAR) but once John Fox was added we started to see growth.

It’s hard to get behind a DC when his defensive scheme is bad and his players aren’t executing but that’s not the case today. AG has grown and the players are starting to really execute. Sure we have some things to clean up but overall I see growth in the players, scheme and coaches. By now I’d think AG has swayed most players, fans and media over to his side.

I personally like what I’m seeing and I think his defense is starting to get an identity. I see no reason AG and his defense won’t continue to grow and get better. In fact I do not think they’ve scratched the surface of their potential. Fun times ahead.

5 Likes

It’s almost like an upgrade in talent makes a huge difference in whether a coach is good or terrible.

9 Likes

Oh My God Reaction GIF

7 Likes

The amount of AG scapegoating has always been largely unjustified. The guy was working with players off the street in his secondary last season and a bunch of rookies/young guys so it was no wonder that the pass defense was an issue.

He then changed to a more aggressive approach last season knowing that the secondary couldn’t hold up without getting quick pressure on the QB and the team created more turnovers as a result and just lived with the big plays that came with leaving the corners on an island. This season we’re starting to see the pass defense tighten up somewhat because, shocking, they have the type of corners (more talented corners) that can execute AG’s defense better.

I’m not saying he’s some defensive savant but the Fire AG calls were ridiculous IMO.

3 Likes

It’s 17 weeks in a season, right??

need the dripping sarcasm icon back!

2 Likes

I mean I am not sure how any could have issues with this defenses performance.

Additionally, AG has done an obviously good job so far.

Let’s get 8-9 games under the belt and then we can have a stronger case one way or another.

But you can not fight the facts that they are top 16 in almost every team defensive stat.

So things have improved

Ya… you didn’t say the whole season, you said week in and week out (actually weekend, but you were close) and he’s done that… All 3 weeks of the season, so he deserves credit for that.

He also had the defense humming at the end of last season… He’s improved every year as DC

7 Likes

interested to hear this press conference.

also the wording from Birkett “When” instead of “If”. really tells me AG is gonna be high on peoples list next coaching cycle

4 Likes

Speaking of today’s presser. Our move from Duce Staley to Scottie Montgomery at Assistant Head Coach / RB Coach is a MAJOR upgrade, IMO.

7 Likes

If I couldn’t get coach Dan, I would seriously consider hiring AG - love him as a leader of ppl.

2 Likes

500+ yards given up and you still win…, bad day for the defense at least Ben Johnson stopped drinking at half time

Right now the Lions defense is ranked 22nd.

4th vs the run.
30th vs the pass.
9th in take-a-ways (tied)

Our pass defense is definitely a concern.

I know AG loves to put his CBs on an island and asked them to cover man up but I’d like to see him give more help to players like Davis when playing man-up on players like Metcalf.

The penalties by our DBs are killing this defense.

3 Likes

Breakfast Club Work GIF

You do realize both teams had 11 drives and Seattle ran 30 MORE plays than Detroit? That’s insane… Detroit was scoring fast and the defense was gassed as a result. It started after that long drive in the 3rd, then Detroit scores on 1 play to Jamo and the defense was back out there. I don’t think the secondary played particularly well, the refs had some weak calls for sure, but they missed Branch. Davis had a few baaaad run fits, he didn’t contain and that gave Walker some big runs and scores.

2 Likes

Psssst, the lions won on MNF. JAMO blew up. Goff looked good. Monty blew witherspoon the FU ck UP. Levi got a sack. CAMPBELL played well. So many positives. Lions are 3-1. And you are focusing on another negative. Next game perhaps we win but bates misses a fg…no doubt that will be the focus of your complaining and tying it to how Brad has not put together a super bowl winning competent roster.

1 Like