'Fireworks' Trade Sees Lions Land WR Cooper Kupp

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/fireworks-trade-sees-lions-land-cooper-kupp

2 Likes

Want to ruin team for year make that trade cap hit rounded off for 30 year old WR

2023 $17,360,000

2024 $29,780,000

2025 $29,780,000

2026 $27,330,000

To get out 47 mil dead cap 2024… $17,260,000 in 2025…in .2026 $7,480,000

Plus age an coming of a injury only playing 9 games I give that trade idea a HUGE NO!!!

5 Likes

Sign me up. But there is zero chance of this actually happening.

Aaron Donald on the other hand …

4 Likes

When your best receiver already plays a similar game this seems like a great idea, if you’re an idiot.

8 Likes

The prorated signing bonus money stays with the Rams. So Kupp would only cost us $6M for 2023, for instance.

3 Likes

No thanks…

We already have him on our roster. His name is Amon-Ra St. Brown.

7 Likes

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

1 Like

Rams can’t move Kupp and stay under the cap.

Not even a possibility.

2 Likes

It’s after June 1, all proration from trades accelerate into next year . . . 2024. Rams would actually save $6M in 2023 if they traded Kupp.

Cash and cap hits would be the same.

$6,080,000 (2023), $20M (2024), $20M (2025) and $19.85M (2026).

A 1st and 2 3rd’s might be a little much for 30-33 year old receiver.

6 Likes

Elite WR dont fall apart at 30 generally. Kupp has had elite season, but is he Elite? Hmmm…

Id be more in favor of this deal next year tbh.

Gibbs LaPorta and Jamo with Kupp and Sun God would be stupid deadly though…Good luck covering that.

5 Likes

$6M for this year, if I’m doing it, I’m doing it this year . . . I’d try to stay with just a first rounder, but I think I’d do it.

2 Likes

Kupp is to Stafford, that St. Brown is to Goff. Trading Kupp is about as likely as Natty growing hair.

1 Like

Makes sense from LA’s point of view, assuming they don’t think they can make another run in the next 1-3 seasons because Donald and Kupp aren’t getting any younger. From our point of view? Makes no sense. We need an outside WR to win their 1 v 1’s, not another primary slot.

49b212b5-c66f-4056-8a58-44d156f71723_text

2 Likes

Two 3rds for a 30-33 year old WR seems a little much.

1 Like

Nope, not when we have to pay Amon Ra soon and not when Holmes found him with a 4th round pick.

I’d rather pick up Hopkins for one year. He would provide a different skill set and round out the group very nicely.

I shudder to think of the players Holmes might come up with given those picks.

1 Like

I thought the idea of WRs falling off of a cliff after 30 was a myth because I had guys like Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison in mind. But after it was pointed out I looked up as many WRs as I could. Now I realize that guys like Rice, Carter, Owens and Harrison are outliers. Its remarkable. Here are a few examples.

3 Likes

Cooper Cupp has injury issues BIG time getting up there in age.

Also what would the lions have to give up? 2 first?
1st and a few mid round? NO.

As for the money? Its not THAT bad.
Could easily restructure for ~$20m per for 3 years. His contract only has <$60m guaranteed.

I just dont see Holmes giving up that capital. The offense would be electric! But hes often hurt and too much capital.

NOW maybe next year! After Donald, Mcvae and Stafford retire. THEN trade for Cupp. Will only have $47m left on the contract. Could be 3 years $17m contract.

2 Likes

Kupp isn’t happening in Detroit.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone really thinks it will . . . but it’s July!!!

1 Like