FMIA--Peter King has the Lions taking Hutchinson

2. Detroit Lions: Aidan Hutchinson, edge, Michigan

“A real Dan Campbell player,” one NFL GM told me about the steadiest player in this draft. Campbell got a lot of people to chuckle when he talked about wanting players who want to bite kneecaps. It was his way of saying he wants guys who love football, who don’t take off plays, who won’t allow the Lions to be downtrodden anymore. Ask scouts about Hutchinson and they’ll tell you that’s how he played every one of his 43 career games in Ann Arbor.

Hutchinson is a different cat. He’s been journaling—hand-writing, not typing—since he was 4. Some days he writes what he wants to be, he told me. “Just telling myself that I’m limitless,” he said. “I have an infinite mindset. I have no boundaries. There’s no mountain that I can’t reach. That’s how I view myself and me playing football.” Tell me Dan Campbell’s not going to froth at the mouth if GM Brad Holmes has the chance to draft this 6-6, 260-pound 10-year starter.

Final note: Some late buzz about the Lions being smitten with Kayvon Thibodeaux and strongly considering him here. I just can’t see them passing on Hutchinson.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/25/nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king-2022/

I had mentioned this possibility in another thread and that the Den would explode.

But, there was a lot of support for KT back in May 2021.

It would also make this report look prescient:

2 Likes

The draft gurus are leaning walker at 1… hutch at 2… big mo is looking lions way

1 Like

Walker is now the bookies favourite to go 1OA

The jags be crazy!

4 Likes

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

8 Likes

This is a blessing for the Lions.

1 Like

I was convinced we were going to land Thib’s. I’m leaning more towards Hutch every day. It’s really unreal to me that a guy with limited production who plays the same position could go before those guys.

2 Likes

My favourite part of that mock draft is getting (what could be) a high 2nd in 2023 to move down to 43. That would be a great trade although I’d be inclined to take Willis at 32.if he dropped that far which seems quite unlikely to me.

2 Likes

If the Lions take either KT or Hutch, I think they’d be off to a great start to the draft.

Willis would be a “same old Lions” move–focusing on the offense when the needs are clearly on defense, which has ZERO real difference makers.

What did Jim Schwartz say in 2009? It’s about time the Lions got a QB.

In 2022, it’s about time the Lions got their own version of Demarcus Ware/Von Miller or, alternatively, one of the Bosa brothers/TJ Watt.

5 Likes

I think it’s all smoke, I’ll bet draft day walker drops out of the top 8.

2 Likes

Agreed. Gives the Lions some high level ammunition for 2023 if they need it to move up.

So Hutch or KT eh? So either crazy celebration or I need to start drinking.
That has to be a Brad Holmes fascination. Can’t see Campbell (or Spielman) being a KT guy.

2 Likes

If his being the best player is arguable, then is it really overthinking when considering other options?

happy good times GIF

1 Like

Socko, perhaps you don’t know KT as well is you claim you do. Peter King is well connected and seems to think the Lions on in on him, as they should be.

“Some late buzz about the Lions being smitten with Kayvon Thibodeaux and strongly considering him here,” King wrote.

Seems like they like him a lot. No reason to put smoke out there on KT. I am sure you will dismiss this though.

2 Likes

I’d be happy with any of the following three:

Hutch, KT, or Jermaine Johnson.

1 Like

I usually like King, but this is a bit of a joke. Willis doesn’t even go in the 1st and the Lions take Corral over him? KT sliding to 13? Packers trading up into the teens for Dotson? Trey McBride going in the 1st? Jermaine Johnson sliding into the 20s? Pittsburgh going Pickett over Willis?

Just think hes a little far out there on this.

6 Likes

If there weren’t leaks than Rick Gosselin wouldn’t have had those super accurate mock drafts over the years. Loose lips sink ships. A lot of ships have sunk over the years.

3 Likes

*32. Atlanta Falcons: Matt Corral, quarterback, Ole Miss

*Projected Trade: Lions trade the 32nd pick to the Falcons for a second-round pick this year (43rd overall) and a second-round pick in 2023.

2 Likes