For Dan Campbell To Be Coach of the Year?

What would it take?

You are what your record says you are, so there’s got to be some minimum amount of “dubs” relative to expectations. The last AP NFL Coach of the Year with a losing record was Jimmy Johnson in 1990 at 7-9, which was 6 wins better than the Cowboys had the previous year. So the Lions would need a winning record, even though virtually every talking head has us lower than whale sh*t. Just showing huge progress or being competitive won’t do it.

3 of the last 4 Coaches of the Year were in their 1st year with their first team. That helps MCDC. Then there’s Detroit cache. That would seem to hurt, but maybe not in this arena. He’s been vocal about collaborative power sharing. That could hurt him because a successful season would be everyone’s doing.

I’m thinking, even with our objectively difficult schedule, the Lions would have to go 10-7 minimum with a playoff berth for Danimal to be honored as coach of the year. Detroit vs Everybody!!!

2 Likes

Keep in mind our media market is Detroit not NY, LA or DAL. So he’d have to do something really special to get enough attention.

I’d say a division title and deep playoff run would be necessary.

We Can Do It GIF by joelremygif

It’s going to take 2, maybe 3 years at least. Then we’ll see.

1 Like

I think if he won the NFC North as a very first time HC that would get it done for him!

2 Likes

With the rep the Lions get, he will have to win the Superbowl just to get considered.

Playoffs or division title. That would be it.

That seems to be pretty much the standard bar for coaches who win outside of a few exceptions Witt teams in other markets than Dallas ny la etc

Think of the year shanahan took niners to super bowl
Seattle had same record
Baltimore had great season
KC

It’s going take a special season to
Top performances like that
No matter the market.

I would love this to happen!

But ……

Let’s beat SF first!! :upside_down_face::pray::heart::+1:

1 Like

If Campbell can win the division and win a playoff game he should not only be coach of the year…they should go ahead and give him his gold jacket and bust in Canton.

3 Likes

If the Lions make the playoffs he’ll have a shot. Depends on what other candidates have on their ‘21 resumes.

If nothing else, the experts would have no choice but to name him the 28th best HC going into next season

3 Likes

They would have to declare him at least 25th because he had to carry Goff the entire way.

2 Likes

I think if we go to the playoffs that would be enough. Especially since the national belief right now is that we will be the worst team in the universe. I’ll say this, then I’ll put the Kool-Aid back in the fridge. I believe this team has a great chance to be able to consistently run the ball and stop the run. Both our offensive and defensive lines should be between top 5 on offense and top 10 on defense. The additions of Brockers, Levi and McNeill should show immediate dividends. Adding Sewell and Fells to the line will make this an exceptional unit.

I think Swift under Lynn could very well make the pro bowl because he is going to get a lot of snaps in the run and pass game. Hock is going to be right up there with Kelce and Kittle IMO. Swift/Hock will create room for our somewhat lackluster WR’s.

Cephus will surprise everyone in what he’s going to bring IMO. Goff will have time and won’t have a micro-managing HC/OC in his ear constantly. I think he’ll benefit from the trust and be able to just go freaking play.

Lastly our secondary is going to take a quantum leap from quite literally the worst coaching/scheme in the known universe to absolute stud coaching from Glenn and Pleasant. They will wring every bit of talent out of everyone on the back end. The team has bought in to this staff. We hear it from all voices. Chicago has a rookie QB and Dalton. GB has a three ring circus going on with Erin. The Vikes defense got completely exposed last season. So 9-8 is not at all out of the question and if Jordan Love is GB’s QB, then heck a Division title is possible. A long shot… but possible.

3 Likes

If the team is solid-to-good this year, I think you’ve laid out the map to how they get there.

There isn’t a lot of wiggle room, but it’s not like it’s crazy to think that Lynn could craft what he’s been given into a very solid offense. Meanwhile, the defense just has to improve from “worst of all time” to merely “not great”, and both the record and watchability of this team should be several ticks higher than the last few years.

So we’re losing our playoff game?

I am expecting 0-3 out of the gate against good teams and as our defense acclimates to each other in an aggressive scheme. But I can envision the broad outlines of your whole post happening, and it wouldn’t shock me if the Lions win the next 3 before taking on the Rams.

Before you put the Kool-Aid back in the refrigerator, I’ll highlight:

If Goff returns to 2017/2018 levels of play, Brad Holmes committed grand larceny, and The Trade will be remember like the Hershel Walker trade. Most people at some time in their life have encountered environments with enervating hectoring and distractions, and then moved onto a more nurturing environment with a huge jump in production and satisfaction. We’ll find out in the couple months which Goff we have.

1 Like

Sorry, can’t add up the 17 game season lol. 9-8 is what I was going for. Fixed!

That’s what I was thinking would be a good starting point myself and I think that it’s a realistic expectation too.

A good coach should be able to make strides with that defense.

If he does what AJ Hynch is doing for the tigers now, .500, I think that would be impressive given expectations.

But my expectations are 9-8 because I think DC and his coaching staff make that big of an influence. But it’s summer I’m drunk on kool aid

2 Likes

I think we’ve got that. Let’s not forget that we got Mark Deleon, the ILB coach from the Bears, who helped develop Justin Houston in KC and Roquan Smith in Chicago. Then A-Aron Glenn (who also turned down the DC job in Chicago lol…). Pleasant who Jalen Ramsey credits in taking his game to the next level and the uber experienced Dom Capers to add a steady 3-4 veteran defensive mind to all the young up and comers.

I think in one offseason our D can go from worst in the NFL level BECAUSE of coaching to solidly average DUE to coaching and a continued infusion of talent, especially on the D-line. If Hand can stay healthy and JOk can start to use that explosive talent, then those are going to be two additional weapons that perhaps many aren’t really counting on either. Levi/Brockers/McNeill are all going to do their thing to shore up the middle and our Penis-ini ain’t bad either!

1 Like

I’d Campbell wins COY I may actually start listening to Colin Cow-turd just to hear how much crow he manages to choke down

2 Likes