For people who think tanking is the way to go

We’re the Lions… There’s your reason… Game over :joy:

The same could have been said about the Pats pre Parcells, the Packers were the worst team in the league in the 80s, the Browns look to have turned it around, the Seahawks were mired in mediocrity for 30 years before Holmgren got there, the Saints were mired in awfulness for 50 years before Payton got there.

1 Like

Yet here we are… Still terrible through all of that and beyond lol

But, on the bright side…uh, oh wait…I got nuthin’

1 Like

Tanking is absolutely stupid. There is no guarantees, absolutely no guarantees in the draft. Trevor Lawrence may turn out like Peyton Manning or he may turn out like JaMarcus Russell. It comes down to smart drafting and it comes down to evaluating talent & really good scouting. The Steelers, Saints, Ravens & Chiefs have been very successful at that. The Jaguars have picked 8 out of the last 11 years in the top 5 and they’re still picking there. The Browns are back in the postseason after 14 years but they were horrible for a long time. The Dolphins didn’t tank late in the season last year & now they’re on the verge of being a playoff team.

1 Like

To infinity and beyond!!!

1 Like

And if you’re the Jets and you feel he’s Peyton Manning and the rest are suspect?

Just pick him, oh wait…

They didn’t tank? They traded away their franchise LT and CB who were still on their rookie deals for first round draft picks. And they ended up at #5 because they lacked talent, makes sense since they shipped out their two best players. That alone blows up your whole argument… Talent wins in this league, when you’re a city like Detroit where no player really wants to go in FA, your best shot is getting blue chip prospects in the draft and they’re all taken in the first few picks.

We have a more rare situation in that we are a dogshit organization with crappy talent and very few impact players…

BUT

We have a new GM AND a New Coach AND Finally someone who isn’t a Ford toady that actually understands football ready to

CLEAR THE FREAKING DECKS

There is no good reason to keep assets and options from them. Zero.

I don’t have a numeric scale though I probably should after all these years.

I enjoy beating division rivals quite a bit. To be honest it’s probably not healthy how much it improves my outlook on life.

2 Likes

Ultimately if we nail our Head Coach hire then the other stuff falls in place. If we don’t, it won’t.

2 Likes

Sorry this is hogwash. You think players live in the city? Nope they live in West Bloomfield, Northville, Howell, Plymouth, northern Oakland County. Michigan has a lot of great selling points.

Lots of professional athletes have settled down in the state after their playing days.

1 Like

Beating the Bears always puts a smile on my face… Doesn’t quite make me as happy when we beat a Rodgers-less GB team.

1 Like

History is not on your side with this one… It’s not just about the city of Detroit… It’s about the history, culture, weather, lack of a quality night life for young stars, endorsement opportunities, etc… Lebron couldn’t get people to come to Cleveland and had to leave as a result… same sort of thing in Detroit.

Detroit.Yeah.

I wanted to start a punk band in the 90s called Coleman Young’s Krugerrands with the first album titled Devil’s Night Inferno.

I mean, stuff like that doesn’t happen in Nashville or Phoenix…

Oh I know the Dolphins traded away a lot of talent in 2019. My point is that they won 3 out of their last 5 games in 2019. The Dolphins first 8 games of 2019 they were 1-7, their last 8 games they went 4-4 and still didn’t have a franchise QB. When it came crunch time late in the year, Dolphins played hard & won some games and still got the QB they wanted all along the following April. Not only that players & coaches want to go out & win & show a little character.

I’m not a proponent of tanking, I just don’t agree with the ‘we’ll just screw it up anyway’ mindset. It’s just so defeatist.

As for the Dolphins specifically, they got very fortunate that a QB who came into the year as everyone’s #1 overall pick got hurt. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don’t. They may have ended up with Herbert anyway, but that would have been lucky too. Sometimes you can’t miss.

1 Like