For those who believe in positional value

Who would you rather have drafted at.12 and 18 who were better draft value that fit the lions scheme?

Who would you have drafted at 12 and18?

1 Like

I wanted JSN at either spot

5 Likes

Brian Branch and Hendon Hooker.

3 Likes

One of the most profound things someone wrote here after the draft is that every team’s pick would have been a reach on almost every other draft board.

The Lions got their guys and maximized value as best they could.

11 Likes

I agree… And that’s my point… Everybody (draft.experts) talk about positional value there was. Inmho no one there to draft at 12 or 18 (except jsn which we all ready have in asb) that anybody even brings up that they were upset about the lions passing on… I can not wait for the season lol

4 Likes

This draft was a weak draft sure few studs an some may become stars but over all weak draft.

It was draft you follow your board an your gut an the information you got from scouts an other sources.

Then you fit player who gives you what your team needed an then players who you like that slip. The Lions needed a speed RB who can catch an hey really liked Gibbs we needed to improve LB so why not with best LB in draft? If you like to go value check how many Butkus award winners were duds? Not many an so of best LBs in NFL now are Butkus award winners.

They took by many people second best TE an if he plays like he showed in mini camp this weekend we have a stud. The safety Branch slipped great value . This draft didn’t support the value theory good players not many studs out of school.

4 Likes

This is everything.

If Gibbs, Campbell, LaPorta, Branch, Martin become high level contributors no one will care where they were drafted

5 Likes

Weirdly enough if Hooker becomes a good QB at his salary, his value would offset our entire draft. His upside value is more than anyone we drafted, and I love the other guys.

3 Likes

I agree an I saw rating sight that had the WR green rd 5 I read a article about Martin an the writter said well he will need to just learn being so tall to get his pad level down.

Shows how much some who write articles even know. He is not as big as some of the best DT in the NFl check the height of top ones again writing an not knowing what he is talking about.

The saying same cus la Porta is not 250 pounds an 6’6" He is close or same to some of best in NFL right now. I know some posters read these guys or listen to them an think its for real they have to be right. They showed how little they know compared to fans in last draft . They were brutal in there mocks.

I probably would have stayed with 6 and 18 and taken Carter and JSN.

4 Likes

I hate the philosophy (Valenti) that teams shouldn’t use 2nd and 3rd rounders on QB because they hit too rarely

One Brees, Hurts, Wilson hitting covers the cost of the investment for two decades and more. Maybe forever if you get a Super Bowl out of it. Hooker probably is never better than a low end starter but it’s the maybe that makes the gamble worthwhile. If he is as smart and athletic as we are already hearing we have an excellent shot at a generational pick

Here’s the way I think of positional value…

Taylor Decker is what, somewhere around the 10-15th best LT in the league? Something like that. And paying him a second contract for that was a no-brainer.

But if Gibbs is the 10-15th best RB in the league? That will be disappointing, and certainly wouldn’t warrant a 2nd contract. That’s why I say the margin for error is thinner, he has to become one of the best in the league. And yes, if he does no one will care where he was drafted, including me. But given the difficulty of hitting on draft picks anyway, giving yourself a thinner margin for error is only making the job more difficult.

But I do think Brad has a preternatural gift for finding talent, so I’m confident our guys will hit. But they really need to.

5 Likes

What Gibbs offers in the receiving game is a significant variable in terms of the second contract. Same thing with LaPorta. If either or both help mitigate exposure to skyrocketing WR costs then it’s at least worth considering.

5 Likes

Right which is one of the reasons I really do think he’ll be better than 10-15th best. But he needs to be, and I’ve been wrong plenty.

2 Likes

I’ll take a stab. Gonzales and Kancey. The value part comes into play when you look at how good within your position you become at that particular spot. IE it will be a lot easier for Gonzales as a CB to “earn” the money given to his spot than Gibbs will as a RB. He’ll have to be one of the best in the NFL right away where Gonzales may only have to be a good starting outside CB to earn 12OA. Sames as a pass rushing DT vs Mike LB. If these guys end up being among the best at their positions, (Gibbs/Campbell) then they will have gotten appropriate value. If they end up just being really good, well really good CB’s and DL’s were available and command higher money in FA. In Brad I trust, I just don’t have to suspend reality to prove it. Love Gibbs, wanted him more than most here. Campbell, not so much but we’ll see.

2 Likes

Gibbs makes me nervous. He’s left more than 1 game because of “injuries”. 2021 while with GT playing against Georgia. “Injured”. 2022 while playing with Bama vs Ole Miss. “Injured”

Gibbs probably won’t be a top 15 guy. I would expect carries to be about 65/35 Monty/Gibbs and them both to be on the field together around 30-35% of the time. 10-15 touches a game is my guess with Monty getting 15-20 touches but mostly carries. Gibbs should thrive on 3rd downs though and he will be on the field a lot.

Part of my reasoning is that I truly expect us to be ahead for extended periods in most games this year (for the first time in my life) and Monty will be the one running out the clock and beating up the D. We will save Gibby for when we need him and I would bet he goes off in at least one playoff game.

4 Likes

Gil Brandt says ■■■■ positional value, so that’s my stance on it. Which I made clear several times during and following the draft so no beating of the dead horse from me.

2 Likes

I like your thinking, bro!

1 Like