Former Lions Captain Stephen Tulloch on Lions

He and Orlovsky were 2 respected pros and both played over a decade in the league. Things aren’t going to get better. Not firing the buffoon this week is SOL.

1 Like

Everyone loved Jim Caldwell. Except 32 GM’s who all agree that he isn’t what they want in a Head Coach in 2020. I get the hate for Patricia and his arrogance brings him heat that he could otherwise not have to deal with. Defending Jim Caldwell the fine man is fine. But NOBODY has hired him as a HC since and if he was as great as his former players think as a HC then they should also be criticizing every GM in the league right now, not just Matt Patricia. Just sayin…

3 Likes

No one has hired Urban Myer to be a coach so I guess he sucks too.

I’m fine with people being down Caldwell but him not getting another HC job at 62 years just doesn’t pass the smell test with me.

Jim isn’t Bill Belicheck but he didn’t get another job for 5 years after Cleveland. It’s only been 3 for Jim

2 Likes

So your saying every coach that isn’t employed by the 32 teams, is not worthy.

3 Likes

I guess Eric Bienemy sucks too because he didn’t get a job.

1 Like

That was the dumbest angle I’ve seen yet, some have a really hard time admitting there were wrong.

2 Likes

When you take into account that Jim was 62 when he was fired here it’s extremely rare a coach whose that old ever gets a job again.

1 Like

32 Teams passed on Tom Brady 5 times.

1 Like

Man wasn’t there talk of him retiring? Could be he just doesn’t want to coach anymore.

He actually was the associate head coach for the Dolphins last year but he had to quit because health.

Listening to the interview he did with Glover it sounded like colon cancer but he never was specific.

Coach takes a toll on your body and that’s why the average age is 49 and going down.

1 Like

Tulloch is not wrong.

MP continues to show why he’s failing as a HC. He doesn’t get it. Never did.

2 Likes

I imagine Jimbo doesn’t interview very well because you can’t get a read on his expression…

That, and too many big words. He was smarter than all of us, go check his post game chats.

I was not a fan of Caldwell. He was a players coach and created an environment where players were respected personally and professionally. Players wanted to play for him, however that in itself does not make him a good coach. His in game coaching, game planning and adjustments were horrible. While he helped to changed the culture in Detroit, in order for the Lions to take another step forward a different coach was needed. I was all in favor of replacing Caldwell. While I thought Patricia was OK, I preferred Vrabel. I WAS WRONG! Patricia is a horrible coach, he’s not OK. But I still think it was the correct decision to move on from Caldwell, he was a mediocre/below nfl average head coach. The Admin choose poorly.

3 Likes

I know it seems like I defend Caldwell a lot but pretty much 100% agree with you.

Caldwell would never pull off what Vrabel just did in the playoffs.

We really blew it with Vrabel.

1 Like

BQ 100% made the correct decision when fired Caldwell. And it’s even in hindsight where things have gone dramatically worse, it was still 100% the right choice. Yes he had winning records and yes he got us to the playoffs. But he had a single-digit win percentage versus teams with winning records after week 3 of a season and never won a playoff game. That absolutely was not good enough. The real problem was the buffoon that he brought in to replace him and continues to stand by which will ultimately cost both of them their jobs.

1 Like

Stephen Tulloch has genuine hate for Patricia/Quinn. The players sure did love Caldwell, that’s fine, but they never made him a winner. Ultimately that is just as apprehensible as what people think is going on with Quinn and Patricia.

They had a winning record.

Two things held Caldwell teams back. Poor OL play and a lack of a run game. BQ attacked that hard AFTER he fired Caldwell.

1 Like

In fairness, while Caldwell got his team to buy in and show up ready to play, he was not a good game day coach. Looking at our current mess, he should probably get more credit for in-game adjustments then he did at the time. But he continually made head-scratching in-game decisions that hurt this team.

That’s how he drew criticism for sabotaging Caldwell. At best he was irrationally optimistic.

1 Like