Found a comp for DeVonta Smith

Height - 5’9 3/4
Weight - 169

Did he survive??

Welp… he just finished his 13th season and he’s going into his 14th season at 34 years old. Out of those 13 seasons he’s played in 160 games. 3 Pro Bowls.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7979

I don’t think D Smith has 4.35 speed. But I do think he has superior hands, is the better route runner and is a little taller. I think if we take Smith at 7 and his ceiling is DeSean Jackson, we probably didn’t get our investment returned. My point is regarding being able to survive the NFL with Smith’s build. I think pointing to a guy going into year 14 at that size helps to suggest that it is possible.

1 Like

I’d hope that Smith can prove to be more durable than Jackson.

2 Likes

I see a lot of Marvin Harrison in Smith’s game. There’s no single stat or measurement that wows me, but his slight build is the only thing I can really call a negative about him. He’s a highly consistent and productive player. I think he will have less of a learning curve in year 1 than most receivers because of how polished he is now. He will have to get used to the speed and strength of pro defensive backs, but you won’t have to water down the route tree for him.

3 Likes

Jackson was healthy when young though, no? Truly asking, I may be misremembering. If this cat came out as good as D-Jack, I’d fee pretty good about that.

He played in most of the games his four years. :man_shrugging:

Personally I think Smith has a pretty unique body in that he’s very thin but at the same time he looks to have some sinewy strength to him.

Agree. If the Lions took him, whether at No. 7 or lower, I’d have no problem with that.

Jackson isn’t a very durable player. Guys like Will Fuller as well, similar height/weight to Smith but have durability issues. People assuming he will stay healthy is unwise. How many guys have had the career Marvin Harrison has had with that height/weight combo? 2? 3? And that’s with a hall of famer throwing Marvin the ball.

I really like DeVonta Smith. I think he’s the best WR coming out this year. He’s likely an outlier in my opinion but I can’t ignore the weight.

He is so much more of a reciever than DeSean Jackson was. Jackson was a burner, Smith is a complete receiver.

2 Likes

I’ve used DeSean as a size comparison many times.

I’ve made long lists of lanky WR’s with similar size traits that’s why I have zero concern with his size.

But Smith is one of the most polished route runners I’ve seen come out in recent years.

D. Jackson and W. Fuller are more vertical threats.

2 Likes

With the defenseless receiver rules and the targeting rules these guys don’t take the hits they did 10 years ago too.

In fact it’s the big receivers who aren’t as elusive who take on the bigger hits and tend to get hurt more.

2 Likes

A big part of WR durability is whether or not they are prone to lower body soft tissue injuries. I don’t recall that being a big issue for Smith in college and that type of Gumby like body seems like it might be a good candidate to generally avoid (or at least minimize the severity of) those kinds of injuries.

The only injury I recall him getting was a finger or hand injury.

Waddle has had a few leg or ankle injuries however.

I guess I was mistaken and that he did have a hamstring injury in 2018. Generally speaking though his durability has been commendable.

No kidding. I know it was a size comparison but that’s where the comps end. Smith is a better overall receiver, better route runner, better hands, not as explosive. Waddle is more like Jackson.

12.31 games per season over 13 years. Not iron man, but if the question is can a 6’0 170lb WR hang in the NFL and produce, I think Jackson’s body of work says yes. I’m thinking we may be in for a small trade down maybe with a Denver as our FO’s did work together recently and who knows if they talked about what a pick swap may look like. If we could get a trade down and still get Smith, then I would seriously dig that. I like guys that other guys say “he’s the hardest worker I’ve ever seen.” In this case that was Jaylen Waddle on DeVonta Smith.

I see the Harrison comp. He probably has the skinniest lower legs I’ve seen this side of Charles Rodgers. But when I see what I consider Smith’s “super power” which is creating separation, I see another DeVont(e)… Adams, but Smith is ligher/faster. He just leaves highly athletic CBs AT WILL. He can do anything. He can run any route. He’s not straight line speed great, but he has a knack for not getting caught from behind.

I think with the QB’s going, the Chase (cough) 4.38, and the infatuation with Pitts freak build, are factors that will push both Waddle and Smith down the board. Frankly past our pick for one and quite possibly both once Slater factors in. Waddle has the elite speed and Smith I think may have hurt himself by not working out other than catching some passes from Jones. If we can add a 3rd round pick this year and still get Smith, I think it’s a homerun.

1 Like

Sorry dude wasn’t trying to plow turned soil lol. I would suggest that you can say that Smith is also a vertical threat. 23 TD’s. Not “as” Jackson/Fuller/Waddle, but he takes the top off defenses erry week.

1 Like

We drafted a small receiver once who was dominant for a large college program …

130 catches for 1600+ yards in one college season. That’s a big year.

Guys name is Ryan Broyles.

I think Smith is one of the safest picks in the draft. The guy just looks like a pro to me and has been putting up numbers consistently.

Same. I see an all pro caliber guy versatile enough to play at the X or Z or slot. His best fit is probably in a system like what I think ours will look like at the Z spot where he can do damage with RAC and route running.

His downfall is obviously his frame, but he seems pretty gritty.

A little different based on the guy being drafted while injured