Free Agency (& Draft) Preview

Verse and Tampa I think are the best pass-rusher and corner in the draft. We’re not going to reconcile there.

With Sudfeld, you’re talking about a guy who ideally won’t even dress for a game all season. A capable, experienced QB who knows the system in and out…I think…is quite a thing for that role.

Similarly with Cabinda…we almost never use a FB…but you keep one on the 53-man roster and dress him for some gameplans (where you need more than Rodrigo)…and the coaching staff really loves him. For a role where the guy only dresses half a dozen times a yr…what more do you want?

In either case…of course maybe there are upgrades. But maybe not smart ones price-wise, for such small roles.

Re: Chark vs Brown or Thomas. Reynolds already beat out Chark when he was here. I believe we’re looking for someone who can potentially beat out Reynolds. It won’t be Chark. Brown I find especially interesting (look at his numbers last yr). And Thomas was still pretty good in a bad offense in NO last yr. He could really blow up again with us, potentially. Either choice excites me more than Chark, DPJ, etc.

Well almost always

2 Likes

I want a guy who’s a threat in the passing game. Imagine how versatile that would make our offense. Imagine what a creative guy like Ben could do with that. For my money the Niners are the only ones using the FB position correctly, it should be a FB/TB/RB hybrid, and they should be used all over the offense. The ideal of this to me would be Brock Bowers, but obviously that’s not happening. But as @1CasanovaJack said Holker’s a great option on day 3. Westover might be as well.

Too soon bro

2 Likes

Check out Ben Sinnott from K-St…should be available in the 3rd.

He’s not gonna run the ball…but could operate out of the FB, H-Back spot.

I like Holker too. The big TE from Minnesota is interesting too. 3 really nice mid-rd TEs available between them and my favorite Ben Sinnott

I like Sinnott too but think he’ll be gone before I’m comfortable picking a TE. He would work too though, and I think you could hand it to him in some surprise situations. Jaheim Bell is another who would work but who I expect to go too soon.

Spann-Ford, the Minny TE, is more of a pure blocking TE, which is fine as well. But it’s a different spot than the FB/TE/RB hybrid. He also turns 25 during the season, which hurts his stock.

Jack Westover

Too much draft capital to trade up for Verse. Get a DE or DT in FA, just like CB, and add another in the draft. We need immediate results on D, that’s going to take some veterans. I’ve seen TJ play enough to know that he’s a Top 10 but that doesn’t make him a first rounder. First round and third round I would look hard at OL, 2nd and 4th pick go D. With re to Cabinda you can’t have him on a 53 man roster, not here, not anywhere. And I think you’re taking some serious liberties saying that Reynolds beat out Chark. Reynolds played in front of an injured Chark. Chark isn’t likely to cost much and he played in 14 games last season on a shitty team. Make him an offer.

TJ Tampa a top 10 player in this draft?

CB?

1 Like

C’mon in the SAME sentence that you cut off I said, “BUT THAT DOESN’T MAKE HIM A FIRST ROUNDER”,

Still confused. He’s a top 10 CB you’re saying?

I don’t ever remember 10 CBs going round 1

I particularly don’t care for the kid… you know more Iowa than me though

Are you saying he’s good or not

In a conversation about CB’s I said he’s a Top 10 but that doesn’t make him a first rounder. The confusion escapes me.

Ok I’ll be more clear then. Again, you know Iowa.

Do you think TJ Tampa is a good fit for us and what we do here?

I particularly don’t…but a lot of people here like him a lot.

So what say you?
Even round 2 or 3…

I think he’s a middle-of-the-road CB with an above average skill set. So late 2 or early 3.

I think I’m following. You’re saying if you make a list of Top 10 CBs in the draft, he’s on it, irregardless of round or draft position?

1 Like

What’s it cost to trade up to #10 (for Verse) from #29?

Does next year’s 2nd and 3rd get it done? I’d take that… I really like Verse

HOLYS# long time no see @blueadams , welcome back !

1 Like

Thanks man, been travelling a lot…but wanted to get back in touch w all the nutjobs on the verge of the biggest free agency of our lifetimes

Last post I made has really aged well. A November 2021 diatribe about how our future is bright with Holmes and Campbell lol

It looks like Blue Adams actually just got hired as MSU’s DB coach too, we’re both thriving lol