"From that standpoint ..."

The press conference vocabulary needs to expand …

e4b7057

2 Likes

Much more annoying than Caldwell’s “things of that nature”.

1 Like

I guess “from that standpoint” is a rocket scientist’s way of saying “y’know what I’m sayin” and "things of that nature was a religious dude’s “n’shit”.

2 Likes

“From that standpoint, I wish I would have made the fat bastards run the new hill Mrs. Ford paid for. Then maybe they wouldn’t have been so out of shape.”

How about a little decorum here.

1 Like

We just got to keep chopping that wood

1 Like

Off the top of my head. I swear almost every player says the same stuff.

“At the end of the day…”, “We’re trying to get better”

Rod Marinelli: “Pound the rock”, “My shovel is sharp and my pick is sharp and my will is outstanding.”

Jim Caldwell: “He’s a very unusual person…”, I"I had to the opportunity to…", “It’s the team, the team, the team, period,”

1 Like

To be fair to Rod, he only said the shovel bit once lol I do remember “pad level” being a phase he used frequently

2 Likes

Where? The fat bastard comment?
I think I’m being nice.
Sitting out all training camp because of a shoulder injury and then being gassed and out of shape for the 1st game. Yeah, not happy about that.
You can still run the new hill that Patricia had built. Even with a tender shoulder.

“Trey Flowers signed a 5 year, $90,000,000 contract with the Detroit Lions, including a $28,070,000 signing bonus, $56,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2019, Flowers will earn a base salary of $805,000 and a signing bonus of $28,070,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,419,000 and a dead cap value of $40,000,000.”

I’ve told this story before but I’ll tell it again. This happened in the older class, right before I got to the varsity squad in high school. The guys were not having a good practice, as a group. Coach was kind of a Bill Parcells hardass type of a guy. He stops practice, and takes everyone over to “the hill.” Mind you I grew up in the foothills of the mountains in Virginia, so its a serious hill. He points to the hill and tells them to start running. But then he adds “and as soon as you think we can’t win this game, you can stop.” Then he walks off.:hushed:

2 Likes

“I just have to coach ‘em up better”

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Too bad Marinelli had to try to win with those complete garbage rosters that Millen gave him. I think he would have been solid in a different scenario.

Oh, oh dear. He was an awful, awful head coach

1 Like

Good story. Yes, I have had to run hundreds of hills and I never got paid a dime. I did it to be better.

1 Like

Here’s the messed up part. As bad as Millen’s rosters were, it was Rod that shipped some of the only good players we had out of town. That’s why I say that Rod fully earned his 0-16 record.

1 Like