Fusion, baby!

3 Likes
2 Likes

If you’re concerned about zero carbon energy, fusion will be the answer…and will render the eyesore windmills and solar panels to remote locations and/or personal preferences.

1 Like

Obviously not happening anytime soon, hopefully just in time to retire the shelf life on the windmills.

2 Likes

It’s likely that the Lions will be five time Super Bowl champs by the time fusion saves us from ourselves. Right about 2035…

3 Likes

1 Like

It’s a milestone, and one a long time coming

That said its likely this type of configuration wont be the real breakthrough.

We just got into training camp on this being a real energy source.

Its still many decades out, really just Proof of Concept just happened

We probably have to source the tritium needed in quantity from the moon. Then scale this uo, energy wise, a millionfold, and contain it. Then have it happen many times a minute, not once a day. Then figure out how to capture and convert the energy.

2 Likes

Yeah wake me up when I can fuel my car with banana peels and coffee grounds like Doc Brown.

1 Like

Totally agree with you, but it has to start somewhere. It’s just very cool to see the first time in our lifetime. There’s been an awful lot of scientific advancement going on during my 50 years on this small blue marble.

2 Likes

Yep. Breakthroughs spawn more breakthroughs. It’s true of just about every scientific discovery and modern convenience. Rarely is it the eureka moment you see in movies. Rather it’s collaborative efforts built of previous discoveries. Scientists discover and engineers figure out how to improve and utilize it. If cell phones looked and performed like the late 80s version almost no one would own them. Yet here we are 30 years later and many people would choose to have their left leg amputated rather than give up their cellular window to the world. Very exciting for the future.

When we eventually figure out fusion, it will be a game-changer.

That being said, we’ve been 20 years away from controlled fusion for the last 40 years. It’s a damned tough nut to crack.

The way this announcement came out seems very politicized to me.

Do I have to drive 88mph or is that optional?

Do you really think this is an attempt to move the political needle? When gas prices have fallen below $3? It’s still years and years away from practical application. I swear some people look for conspiracies non stop. I never believed I would see a such a number of people in the US question science and medicine at every turn. It’s alarming and disappointing. Look what STEM has meant to our advancements over the past even 50 years.