FWIW Mel and McShay think the Jags will take an Offensive Tackle

You do but there are many ways to go about it. You brought up the Bengals, do you think they regret drafting Chase?

For sure he makes the most sense for them specifically, but do you really think theyā€™ll take the risk that theyā€™re drafting a OG 1st overall? That matters a lot to these guys, keeping their jobs is their top priority, followed by building a good team and actually doing their jobs. Theyā€™re politicians, basically.

In fact I think that if they do go Icky (or Neal), those guys will be essentially guaranteed to end up at tackle over the perception of the whole thing. Which means their positional flexibility will have less of an impact on the decision.

1 Like

No the difference on that point is, Burrow got help with a WR. What does Hutch do for Lawrence? Im not big fan of us taken Hutch.

So now they canā€™t draft a player thar doesnā€™t help Trevor?

No i think they should draft a ot for him. Trevor is their future.

Then would you draft a WR to help Lawrence #1 overall? Probably not because thereā€™s not one that worth the #1 overall pick. Thatā€™s how I feel about the tackles, theyā€™re not worth taking above Hutch (or Thibs based on the tape, but of course heā€™s got some different concerns that arenā€™t tape-related).

Now itā€™s possible the Jags donā€™t love Hutch, Baalke is a bad drafting GM after all, in which case they may go OL. But to me Hutch is easily the top player in the draft when you take everything into account.

The interesting thing is when decker came back and got up to football speed we started winning games. Our offense evolved from unwatchable to competent. Goff also started to play like a top 15 quarterback when he started to be protected. If Iā€™m the jags Iā€™d be paying attention to that.

On a side note, I canā€™t wait to watch our line this season. Jackson in year 3 coming off a pro bowl, ragnow healthy, decker healthy, and Sewell with a year in an nfl weight roomā€¦ā€¦itā€™s gonna be a wake up call for our opponents.

The thing with the jags is that theyā€™ve taken two pass rushers the last two drafts that are pretty good. Defensive end isnā€™t really a big need for them. Their offensive line is a train wreck though. Taking a tackle would be the smart move.

A lot?

Pretty strong statement when those people your talking about thought the Jags were going OT just 5 days ago. The Odds changed after that to Hutch but I do not think it makes that big of a difference. Neither does Vegas because the odds on Neal arenā€™t far behind Hutch.

Robinson was the 11th worst OT (That includes RTā€™s) in the NFL on QB pressures. Only 10 starting OTā€™s were worse.

Yeah he didnā€™t give up sacks but I think a lot of that falls on Lawrenceā€™s ability to avoid them. Heā€™s been a below average starting LT his entire career until last season. Heā€™s not very good and I believe thatā€™s why Jacksonville hasnā€™t inked him to a long term deal. Their buying time until they can upgrade. This is their chance. Thatā€™s why I say thereā€™s a high probability they will do it. Not to mention both their starting OGā€™s are hitting FA and their center is expected to be a cap casualty.

If they draft an OT they can play him at RT or OG for a year.

Iā€™m pretty sure he will lose his starting job to Little this year. Heā€™s been terrible. Itā€™s possible Jacksonville moves him inside this season in hopes of salvaging him. But heā€™s struggles bad at RT.

Point being the Jags have some serious holes on that OL. Robinson isnā€™t likely a long term solution. Right now they have a question mark at every OL spot on the entire OL. Taking an OT helps to answer a lot of those questions.

Thatā€™s how I see it anyways. We will know soon enough.

A lot was probably too strong, but it was in response to ā€œhigh probability they take an OT,ā€ which according to Vegas isnā€™t a probability at all. But yes, youā€™re right, Hutch isnā€™t an overwhelming favorite. But heā€™s still the more likely option.

I agree he hasnā€™t been good, but Iā€™m going based on what Jags fans say re: Robinson on their forums. Theyā€™re almost unanimous in their praise of his play over the last part of the season, and they watch every game. I havenā€™t (I doubt you have either).

That said Iā€™d agree with you that this is their chance to find the long term answerā€¦ if there was an answer to be found. To me, Neal and Ekwonu arenā€™t on the same planet as Sewell, Slater, Wirfs, Wills, Becton or Thomas as prospects. And one of those guys is going #1 overall? I canā€™t get behind it. Frankly my favorite option for them would be Charles Cross, but I highly doubt they have the cojones to do something like that.

Yeah I agree the line needs upgrading, I just wouldnā€™t do it with the #1 pick. Iā€™d go hard after Terron Armstead or Laā€™el Collins or Tunsil. Iā€™d do it with day 2 picks (especially at iOL, Zion Johnson would be great for them at #33).

Yeah this might all be wasted breath in as little as a week. Weā€™ll see.

1 Like

That article with odds is from Monday night ā€” the day BEFORE the Jags placed the franchise tag on Robinson.

Tuesday nightā€¦ after Jags tagged Robinson

and Thursdayā€¦

The betting odds did change significantlyā€¦ in 24 hours.

1 Like

What they think of Robinson is kind of irrelevant. The Jags have had to tag him twice because they canā€™t get him under contract. By the time the draft comes around, they will have spent extra time trying to negotiate with him and if they donā€™t have him signed, its going to be 100% clear that they canā€™t sign the guy.

Signing the guy to a deal is a game changer. Tagging him just shows they value the role he plays but canā€™t sign him, so they will need someone else to fill in that role.

I think it speaks to his talent/improvement as a player better than anything we can deduce from afar, and how can the level of his talent not be relevant to the discussion?

Now the particulars of his career and contracts are also relevant, but those arenā€™t mutually exclusive. And it also goes both ways. My argument is that there isnā€™t a tackle worth the #1 overall pick, so maybe they tagged Robinson to buy them another year. Maybe thatā€™s why thereā€™s no long-term contract. Itā€™s a possibility anyway.

But if he lacked talent they wouldnā€™t have tagged him and we wouldnā€™t be talking about any of this, so I think his level of talent is definitely relevant.

1 Like

They tagged him last year because they couldnā€™t sign him. They tagged him again, because they couldnā€™t sign him. If they canā€™t get him signed by the time the draft rolls around, it is a clear indication that the Jags know he canā€™t be signed. His price will only go up after the draft. Jags fans who love him only validates why Robinson is taking his position, which is above the price point the Jags are willing to pay. Jags fans who donā€™t like him only validates the teams position, in why they are not willing to give in to Robinsonā€™s demands.

In other words, no matter which way you go it doesnā€™t matter. Robinson and the Jags are still in the same standoff. And if they havenā€™t signed him by draft time, it is what it is.

Iā€™m using fan opinion as a barometer for the playerā€™s talent because itā€™s the best I have to go on, and a majority of the fans Iā€™ve seen have praised his play over the past year. If that was closer to a 50/50 split then perhaps the ā€œJags fans who donā€™t like him only validates the teams positionā€ statement would be more accurate, but if thatā€™s only 20% of the fanbase, why should we put as much stock in it?

Anyway I disagree with your belief that their opinion is irrelevant to the discussion but youā€™re certainly entitled to it and I figure youā€™re not budging. I donā€™t care enough to get bogged down into the minutiae of what percentage of fans like him or not or some other such drudgery. My entire purpose joining this thread was because it started off as everyone acting like tagging Robinson had no effect on who they would take, when the drastic change in Vegas odds said the opposite.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely a possibilityā€¦ They have the money to target some free agents and could solidify things before the draft. But even if they found two starting OGā€™s and a starting OC they still have a one year option on Robinson. It seems unlikely to me they would target a FA OT after tagging Robinson but itā€™s a possibility.

I think they almost have to draft an OT high in this draft. Theyā€™ve already taken an OT in round two twice in recent years and it hasnā€™t really worked out for them. Little has shown promise but Taylor looks like a bust.

I strongly feel they need some real help on that OL and they need to make it a priority to protect their star QB.

Does that have to be with the first pick in the draft? ā€¦No ā€¦ I agree that they could possibly fix it in FAā€¦ maybe even trade down, or make another attempt in round two. But I think OL is one of there biggest needs and thereā€™s OL talent that is worthy of a top 5 pick.

1 Like

This smells like them picking Ekwonu.

Chaisson has not been good.

And ā€¦ Young NFL Players Dangerously Close to Bust Status Entering 2022 | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

The Jacksonville Jaguars used the 20th pick in the 2020 draft on Kā€™Lavon Chaisson after he posted 6.5 sacks in his final season at LSU. He didnā€™t have elite production for the Tigers, but he impressed scouts with his athleticism on tape and his long build.

Through two seasons, none of those factors have led to results on the field. Chaisson has remained relatively healthy, appearing in 31 games over the last two seasons, but has just two sacks to show for it.

With Josh Allen producing on the outside, it isnā€™t as though Chaisson sees extra attention from offensive lines.

The odds did change but they didnā€™t change significantly.

I pointed out the odds changed 5 days ago and why. See my quote below.

Pretty strong statement when those people your talking about thought the Jags were going OT just 5 days ago. The Odds changed after that to Hutch but I do not think it makes that big of a difference. Neither does Vegas because the odds on Neal arenā€™t far behind Hutch.

Significantly is a strong word and the change wasnā€™t significant it was mild.

5 days ago Neal was the slight favorite and Hutch was 3rd in Odds now Hutch is a slight favorite.

I wouldnā€™t go so far as to say that Vegas disagrees a lot that the Jags wonā€™t take a tackle. (See quote below) The odds suggest otherwise.

The people who make the big bucks to forecast those sorts of decisions in Vegas disagree a lot.

Neal was first in odds now heā€™s tied for 2nd in odds. The current odds are this.

Aidan Hutchinson (EDGE) -150
Evan Neal (OT) +350
Ikem Ekwonu (OT) +350
Kayvon Thibodeaux (EDGE) +800
Malik Willis (QB) +3000

I think itā€™s clear that Vegas believes the 1OA pick will be either Hutch or an OT and their currently giving Hutch the slight favorite. Then they have a drop off to KT. Then a significant drop off to Willis.

But Vegas has been flip flopping back and forth for months now from KT, then to Hutch, then to Neal, then to Ekwonu, then back to Neal and now back to Hutch.

But I think itā€™s clear Hutch, Neal and Ekwonu are the hands on favorites at this time.

Donā€™t be surprised if the top 5 odds possibilities change a few more times between now and the draft.

Iā€™m not convinced they want to commit to him long term.

Heā€™s been very inconsistent. Even last year he was inconsistent. Last year was the first year he played above an average level. Overall heā€™s been a below average OT.

So theyā€™re in a bad spot. Do they give a mediocre player a long term deal, do they cut him and potentially get worse or do they tag him letting him be insurance while they look for a better option?

I think they tagged him as insurance. As the bridge LT until they can upgrade.

Question is will they draft another OT this year, next year, or try to groom Little for the role?

Personally I think If they thought Little was the future then they would not have tagged Robinson.

I honestly believe OT is the most likely option for them. I am fairly convinced they will draft one early in this draft. Could it be at 1OA, could they trade down or will they wait until round two again? Thatā€™s the question we will know the answer to soon enough.

1 Like