George Paton - Asst GM Vikings

I think he’s worth an interview. Vikings Assistant GM and worked with Rick Spielman since 2007.

Might be a good fit with Chris Spielman.

Interviewed for 49ers (2017), Jets (2019), and Browns (2020) but for whatever reason, he turned them down.

2 Likes

I’ve gone on record to say that I’m not a fan of Spielman and I think he basically just picks the next highest rated player out of a draft magazine…kind of like Millen did at times. The difference IMO is he picked a good HC in Zimmer that makes him look like a better GM than he is.

So no…I would have no interest in his understudy. And if I did, I’d save the cash and just buy a draft mag.

Who’s the player that the Vikes took that it seemed like Mayock talked them into during the draft process?

You mean they usually draft the consensus best player available? They don’t make unusual or out of the box picks? Like Jahlani tavai? Sign me up.

So you liked that under Millen?

It would take a long time to explain the situation if you haven’t followed the draft in detail and understand where I’m coming from already.

The vikings drafts have been pretty darn successful. And Millen didn’t really pick consensus players. Brian Calhoun, Ikaeka Alama Francis, Jordon Dizon etc… these guys were projected to be late round players by almost everyone. Millen did pick some consensus first round kind of guys… but he also picked a guy in the top 10 who sat out a year of football and showed up 30 lbs over weight to be evaluated. The vikings took Trae Waynes, Erik Kendricks, Danielle Hunter and Stefon diggs in 1 draft. One of these things is not like the other.

Millen went from draft mag picks to smartest man in the room later in his tenure.

It’s something people will have studied and remember…or they won’t. IMO the real difference for the Vikings is the coaching.

Not sure how anyone could argue that Millen wasn’t a complete moron.
After Jeff Backus, his first round picks just got worse and worse.
“Hmmm…we can pick a receiver with the #2 pick who has red flags everywhere or any other player in the draft” It’s not like taking a guy in the 3rd round who has first round talent with red flags.
Mike Williams? Ugh. So many other guys you could grab. Aaron Rodgers was available. When you have a QB that has sucked for 3 straight years…you might want to take the guy who was projected by many to be #1 overall.

9-7 isn’t good enough!

2 Likes

Except Spielman has picked up some really exceptional players in the later rounds… Diggs, Hunter, Griffen… While Millen gave us David Kircus and Bill Swancutt

The David Kircus draft was given an A+ grade, because it followed well with draft magazines. Its hard for me to have a nuanced conversation about the reference, if I’m talking to people that don’t remember that.

Draft grades are pointless. If someone agrees with the pick, they get an A. If they disagree, it is a D or something. Just because a draft magazine or some guy off tv decides it’s a good pick doesn’t mean anything. You can really only decide if someone sucks after watching him play.

1 Like

This post is not getting the accolades it deserves.

2 Likes

:joy:. The late, great George C Scott for GM was my thought as well.

I remember his drafts getting great grades very vividly… What late round gem did Millen draft again? Bc Spielman has several, so the comparison is trash IMO

I’m just thinking along the lines that Paton and Chris Spielman would work well together since Paton has worked with his brother Rick Spielman. Plus this will be a promotion for him.

The Viking have always fielded a solid team. Not so good at the QB position but we have Stafford.

The Vikings like to load up on draft picks. In the past 10 years, the Vikings had 15 picks in 2020, 12 in 2019, 8 in 2018, 11 in 2017, 8 in 2016, and 10 in 2015, 10 in 2014, 9 in 2013, 10 in 2012, 10 in 2011, and 8 in 2010.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/vikings.html

He’s not my No.1 but I think he’s worth an interview.

I find it interesting that Matt Millen lasted longer as GM than Bob Quinn.