Giants cut CB Jenoris Jenkins

Sorry FWD but Wesley is right. After the trade deadline has passed any player regardless of Veteran status or not must clear waivers to be a free agent. Here’s a link to the NFL.com page. Scroll down to the date of October 30th
https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

prior to the trading deadline veterans are not subject to the waiver wire but after the trade deadline including both regular season and postseason they are

1 Like

1 Like

Seems to me they were looking for any excuse to get rid of him. Aside from the hypersensitive I can’t imagine anyone even batting an eye at being called a retard…sheesh

Unfortunately in today’s world everything offends somebody. I’m greatly ashamed of my generation and how thin skinned they are. Sticks and stones

The social media mob of language police is nothing but the oversensitive waiting to be offended on behalf of other people so that they can rain down judgement from their moral high ground.

One of the saddest parts is that it’s a bit of “the boy who cried wolf”. Calling everyone a bigot tends to make it less impactful when one needs to call out actual bigotry.

2 Likes

This is what bothers me about calling so many people racist. It gives cover to the real racists.

4 Likes

I stand corrected.

1 Like

You are missing the point. No… nobody is going to bat an eye at being called retarded. Being retarded is a real issue that unfortunately people in society have to deal with. Their unfortunate circumstances shouldn’t be used as an insult. So in short, you aren’t overly offending the person being called retarded, you are offending those who are retarded.

The stuff that some people say to these athletes just because they are in a public spotlight is unbelievable. If the worst thing he said to that person is that they are a retard then I think that is definitely on the lower end of the Insult spectrum.

As to your point, I understand what you are saying but there isn’t much that you can say without offending someone. Next you won’t be able to call anyone a fool because it is offensive to all the fools out there…lol

He probablely got cut for not knowing the correct definition of “Retard”

Being a fool is something you can control. Being retarded is something you are born with.

1 Like

Not only is jenkins an idiot for calling someone a retard but also for not knowing the definition of the word. it is a verb not an adjective. its like someone calling another person a walk, a run a jump etc…

Im sure he will claim he has the freedom of speech under the first amendment and he will file some kind of stupid grievance. The first amendment does mean you can say anything you want and nobody can do anything to you.

The First Amendment to the US Constitution protects against laws prohibiting the freedom of religion, speech, and the press, as well as the right to assemble and to petition the government

I disagree… The actual use of “retarded” can be used in many ways, it’s not exclusive to being mentally challenged. It can be used in the same way “slow down” or “impede”… Besides, NO ONE medically calls someone with a mental disability retarded anymore… They say “intellectual disability”. It’s an outdated medical term at this point.

1 Like

Very, very, very few people use or have used the word retarded to denigrate the mentally disabled. Much like moron, idiot, and imbecile, the clinical usage of retarded has been largely replaced by the more general meaning of stupid.

There’s no “history of hate” or anything like that with the word retarded. People have been calling others the equivalent of retarded for centuries as a euphemistic insult to their intellect. It’s an obvious and natural correlation, and it’s not particularly harmful to those affected by a mental disability.

Pretending that retarded is some kind of hate word is pointless and fruitless.

You dont think is harmful to those affected by a mental disability? Have you asked someone with a mental disorder this? How do you know it doesnt affect them? That is probably worse then what jenkins actually said. It doesnt have to be a hate word to to be a Ignorant and stupid thing to call someone.

1 Like

It’s funny because I see some hypocrisy here.

Player uses cannabis:“Just dont do it! It’s that easy! What a mental midget dumbass!”

Player uses outdated, highly insulting word in a situation that could’ve been even easier to avoid than using cannabis: “This world gets too offended and needs to mind it’s own business.”

The only difference is, one of those things has a legitimate use. The other really doesn’t.

While I agree, the words ignorant and stupid are just as much considered to be hurtful cliches as the word retard or retarded. That’s why humans have been using them as derogatory comments to other humans for nearly as long as the words have existed.
Our world has reached an embarrassingly low level of what is considered to be important from one day to the next by the masses vs the real problems that have existed for centuries and centuries and will continue to do so because those real problems require Solutions greater than fake indignity on Twitter and Instagram

I don’t think the word “retard” should be said, but it’s not worth getting cut.

1 Like

Wonder what sort of DL they’d give up, for him?
Innnnnnteresting.