Giff DID NOT under-throw Jamo

For goidness sakes, I keep hearing this nonsense. Goff made the PERFECT THROW there.

Jamo did not have a corner on his heals where Goff needed to lay a floating pass over his shoulder in stride.

Goff saw Jamo WIDE OPEN, no one near him. What you do in that situation is PLAY CATCH WITH HIM. You make the pass as easy for him to slow up and concentrate on as possible. He let up on the throw to put the ball in the most wide open area that Jamo could most easily control himself. With a longer pass Jamo has to make a play on the bas AS IF he had a corner on his heals.

Goff clearly saw that Jamo had no one around him. He made a throw as if to say, “Jamo, here’s a nice big, fat, lazy center field fly ball for you. Slow up, get your concentration on the ball, pay attention to it and make sure you catch it. No need for you to turn your chest to the endzone and have to turn only your head toward the ball as if you have a corner draped over your back”.

Goff made it like playing catch with him,. In fact you can even see Jamo pause just a sec as if he realized, wow, I can take my time and actually just concentrate on the ball and make the catch as easy as if we were out here just the two of us playing catch. Goff saw before he threw how open Jamo was, he made the catch that Jamo needed to make as easy as possible to turn and concentrate on.

Goff made the perfect throw to allow that excited rookie going after his first NFL catch to calm down, no one is near you, turn and take your time to just concentrate on the ball. TD baby!!

3 Likes

I always wonder if those rare wide open deep balls are the hardest to execute

4 Likes

In the post game interview he said it looked like he “kicked the ball to him”. He was so suprised that he was so wide open he admitted it was a pretty terrible throw. But at he caught it and that is all that matters.

7 Likes

It was the right throw under those circumstances. Young Stafford was the king of overthrowing the ball 5-10 yards past everyone, because of the fear of an interception.

Now Goff’s throw to Chark was really impressive. Dropped it into the bucket perfectly, and the coverage was good. QB’s have off games here and there, but he’s been more than solid this year.

Yes, his throwing mechanics are awful. He doesn’t get on top of the ball with the reverse C grip like almost every other pro QB … but whatever. He’s getting the job done, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

I personally have not seen much complaining about him under-throwing it, but just in case as @Wenotme said, he was surprised and admitted to the pass. I posted this is another thread so I’ll share it again.

EXACT wording:

Goff: “I’ve never done that and I was happy it was his first one. They kind of busted a coverage there and (laughing) I didn’t throw a very good ball there. I was so shocked how open he was and was kind of like ‘is somebody back there?’. Kind of looked like I kicked it to him but he caught it, touchdown none the less.”.

6 Likes

The wirst kind for an excited rookie are fast action where a kid forgets to just make the catch. Goff made is totally simple for tge kid to turn and concentrate on the ball. Post game comments are just that, Goff isn’t going to say, “hey, I did throw a perfect pass because the excited rook could have forgot to catch the ball if he was lost in a fast developing situation as if there was a corner draped over his back”.

But the proof of what I say can be seen in the split second Jamo realized "Oh, hey, I’m alone out here and all I have to do is turn and just make an easy catch as if Giff and I were alone out here playing catch. You can also see it from Goff when he first saw Jamo wide open. He threw that ball from instinctively to give Jamo the highest chance of just concentrating on making the pass. And Jamo looked thankful that he was given the chance to just turn and realize he was alone and could slow up and just think about catching the ball.

Jamo literally had to stop, that’s how freaken fast he is.

road runner goodbye GIF by Looney Tunes

1 Like

With him being wide open it was the right pass. Think if he over threw it

2 Likes

It was a TD, I haven’t seen anyone bitch about it. I think this is a debate about nothing at all.

3 Likes

Don’t let what Goff says change a really good story, it was fictional story.

2 Likes

@FreebirdPartDeux posted this is another thread I think but now I can’t find it, sorry for reposting but I wanted to comment on the play design - it was pretty cool!

I’m no expert but just the way the defense reacted to that play, they doubled reynolds in the middle, then a couple guys pulled off to cover JWill in the flat, and Jamo was just able to cruise right by everyone. The only one I question is their CB #3, I’m not sure why he drifted the other way, maybe thinking Jamo was gonna cut outside? Or he was watching the play and thought for sure they were going to Reynolds and he cheated/hesitated for a second?

I dunno but I just thought this play design was really cool.

2 Likes

I love Giff as much as anyone, but that was a stinker of a throw. It just shows how bad the coverage was.

2 Likes

it’s true that we are not gonna roast e/o in public comments…however…look at the level of authenticity in his energy when he says it, as well as how he chooses to worD it

1 Like

Yea good design, Harrison Smith being out for the Vikes was huge. He’s the captain of the defense and has 5 ints. That play might not happen with him back there.

1 Like

Watch the replay and watch Goff’s feet.

It looks like the read was there and he was going to zip it in there to Jamo. Then he realized how wide open he was. Goff did like a little hop/shuffle and reset to make a much easier throw.

I’d like to know more about how fast Jamo is……
but I haven’t seen any mentions of his GPS times since week 14.

1 Like

Watch the TD that got called back on Sunday. The DB from Green Bay “thought” he had taken the correct angle and then Jamo turned on the afterburners.

Hopefully Jamo is out in SoCal with Goff this offseason working on their timing.

1 Like

Yeah… that is what I am getting at… I have seen several plays where Jamo has flashed his speed… but haven’t been able to find GPS times to see what his MPH are on those plays.

It is obviously a point of emphasis for teams….

why is this data so difficult to find?

I think I know why…. but still frustrates me…

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.