Goff a talent driven not a scheme driven QB

You can always be better.
Some said the Bills were the best team in the AFC last year.
Personally, I thought KC was the best.
I sure as hell never thought Cincy was!
Somehow, they went to the Super Bowl?
At least they now know that Burrows sucks.

1 Like

The Narrative several years ago was that Goff was a “system” quarterback, which I take to be pretty much the same thing as scheme.

Goff has been in at least 5 different “schemes” and had success in 3 of them. He was successful in the Bear Raid in college. He was successful in McVay’s motion play action offense. He was successful in whatever prostyle west coast that Ben Johnson was running. He was not successful in Lynn’s power run dink and dunk, nor Fischer’s High School single read. I put more of that on coaching.

Btw, how is Fischer doing with the Michigan Panthers? Does the NFL miss the coach with the most losses in NFL history?

1 Like

LOL. Yup!

I believe in them for many reasons, mainly how their entire team gets down, and their QB.

1 Like

Patricia would have chosen to pick from the Jaguars.

2 Likes

LOL - Yup!

If we go watch the podcast on Goff in the other thread…… where for the first four games, and then the last seven games

Had top five stats, and that was with all the detractors from injuries to rookies and back up players in starting roles and Lynn calling plays and an initially crap running game.

Goff is a fine QB and he can win.

2 Likes

There was a time here when many were clamoring for Jeff Fisher and his particular mustachioed version of mediocrity.

We were just coming off the heels of Marty Moronweg, the bloated corpse of what used to be Steve Marriuci, and Rod “my shovel is sharper than yours” Marinelli about that time, so it’s understandable.

1 Like

IMO, we’ll know how the Lions REALLY feel about Goff once they can actually realistically cut him. That wasn’t this past year. That isn’t this year. He’ll obviously have one more year to prove himself and his contract.

2 Likes

Well… for those that are looking for reasons to cut him. I, for one, don’t think Brad or Dan are in that camp. I think those two think they can get the MOST and the BEST out of Goff, and are already all in on him. I could be wrong… I’m definitely due. Lol

6 Likes

I think so too, and I don’t blame them. Goff showed down the stretch last year that he can still be one of the best QB’s in the league even with a modest supporting cast. Goff is going to silence some doubters with a better supporting cast this season.

2 Likes

Very interested to see how he does with a healthy OL and weapons. He showed a lot down the stretch and will hopefully have a full compliment of offensive players this year. We added alot in the draft, but this years biggest addition will be a Healthy OL.

1 Like

I have yet to see this person. :wink:

He’ll kill it this year. If I played fantasy football, I’d take him.

This is a big deal, as well as massively upgrading the WR group.
I would like to add that Dan Campbell has another year of experience, and has his OC in place too.

This team is gonna do better than most think.

1 Like

They’re all in on Jared this year, and I do think they believe he will succeed. (And count me among those who strongly agree and are astonished by how much the kid has been vilified.) And they certainly hope he does - this year and through a followup contract. Some of the throws I saw him attempt - and make - back in 2017 and 2018 were absolutely breathtaking. (His ceiling is higher than Stafford’s. So-called “arm talent” goes waaaaay beyond having a cannon.) Jared Goff has crazy arm talent.

But Holmes and MCDC aren’t completely sold. Nor should they be.

1 Like

Stafford did play great most of the year…

but did he NOT have a GREAT team around him???

Also… I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here… but the Rams had only 2 wins against playoff teams in the regular season.

If they don’t have OBJ force his way out of Cleveland… and get Von Miller in a rather “unusual” trade involving a huge salary payoff… that team struggles to win the division and likely loses early in the playoffs.

4 Likes

Good God. If this is right, chalk us in for at least 2 or 3 SB appearances, with 1 or 2 wins. I’d be elated if this turned out to be true.

I can actually feel a residue of “word” your post

How special will it be “Wife’s vs Gofflings” firing away all preseason, lol, at least this place won’t get boring anytime soon?

1 Like

I almost let myself get sucked in, but im biting my tongue, lol

2 Likes

He did lose in 3, Goff has only lost 1.

1 Like

Haha, There’s that

I would argue if Goff had a real 50/50 WR in his SB he’d possibly have a SB win and the “Goat” ??? possibly have another SB loss, lol, not to mention the Seahawks fiasco, and don’t even get me started on 28-3

Hilarious!
I want everyone to have the right to their own opinion, even if it is faaaaarrr out there.

1 Like