Goff perspective: if he was a free agent next season

That’s exactly right - and I suspect GMs are almost as all over the place on Goff as the opinion on this board. Main difference being that the GMs are paid to make observations, and have memories, that extend beyond the last year or two of a player’s career.

So I suspect that most of them believe that he can be a #5-8-kinda QB because he WAS exactly that in his Pro Bowl years. And he’s still young, hasn’t been banged up, and in all the ways that experience helps he obviously has much more now than he did years ago. He’s also a consummate team player, ego-less in all the right ways, the kind of leader who’ll bring his receivers together every year in the offseason while working on his own game, and someone who’ll contribute in the community wherever he lands.

AND there’re downsides. Jared HAS been someone w/real turnover problems, though his current 7-game streak of 17 TDs, 2 INTs says that he’s not simply and invariably “turnover-prone.”

He HAS made mistakes with guys in his face. But the mantra that Goff “can’t handle pressure” is waaaaay too simplistic, given the many times in big games where he killed it under serious pressure. The guy is actually amazing at keeping his eyes down the field w/the rush bearing down.

I also hear that Goff can’t ad-lib. IMO, there’s more truth to that criticism than to the other two, though w/him I think it’s much less about lack of creativity and more about the trouble he has buying time when the pocket collapses - relative to some others - and sometimes being overly cautious (especially the last couple years in LA). Watch some games in 2018 and tell me the guy can’t create.

As for whether Goff goes on to be merely average, even better than he was in 2017 and 2018, or somewhere in between, I imagine the league’s GMs are waiting-and-seeing just as we are.

3 Likes

And Jameis is 2nd in Air Yards Attempted and Wentz is 3rd.
Does that tell you anything?

1 Like

Come on, man. This team is clearly different.
This team can go as far as they want to.
They’re very talented. They’re very hungry. They’re very gritty.
Are they disciplined?

1 Like

I think we can take Mahomes off of that list. Until he proves otherwise, he doesn’t handle a real oline breakdown like the guys who are elite at it. He has issues that being with the Chiefs has provided some deoderant for. If he played for the current Bears those issues would be plain to see. Whereas I think a guy like prime Wilson could still make some chicken out of chickenshit.

3 Likes

Ya know, one of the guys at work said he was listening to a podcast that was saying that Mahommes has thrown the most interceptable passes in like the last 3 years. I don’t know if it’s luck or what, as to why the defense drops so many of his passes but he supposedly supplies them with the opportunities…but to be fair, if you’re referring to the Superbowl where he was running for his life, I don’t think any QB was going to look good in that situation.

1 Like

I feel the same about receivers too. Goff didn’t make Amon great. Amon did. Stafford didn’t make Kupp great. Kupp did.

If Kupp got hurt tomorrow Stafford could not by magical greatness powers make the next WR as great at Kupp.

If Amon Ra got hurt tomorrow (knock on wood) Goff could not by magical powers make the next WR as great as ARSB

It’s a real blessing as a QB to have weapons like this and adds a net positive to their success rate

1 Like

Agree 1000% with this take. The offense is about as complete as one can get. Two excellent Tackles and a good Center can hide average Guard play and that’s what’s happening. Goff is doing exactly what he needs to do/is capable of doing. As long as everything’s rolling well Goff is going to be really good.

Except the fact that Ragnow didn’t play last game and his PFF gradevfor the other game was 48.0.

I have a slight objection here. While Stafford and Goff did not conjure guys like Kupp and Amon-Ra up from nowhere, they are an important part of their production and development. If the Rams brought in Daniel Jones, they wouldn’t be getting this kind of production out of Cooper Kupp. He would be mixed in with a long list of receivers with similar production far below what he’s doing right now. Cooper Kupp is a star right now because of Matt “big dick” Stafford. That isn’t to say he couldn’t do well with some other QBs, but you can’t just throw him with any QB and get that kind of production. The same with Amon-Ra. There are a ton of places and QBs that wouldn’t give him the chance to shine like he can with this team and Goff. I think we generally like Joe Burrow on this forum but in Cincy Amon-Ra would be buried in the progression and with a QB who has a habit of not throwing on time and in rhythm. That means one of Sun God’s biggest strengths to run consistent perfectly timed routes would be lost in that environment.

3 Likes

Yup…PFF is :man_bowing:t2: On this board I forgot. My apologies.

And some believe our backup center is a pretty darn good one as well. But we better check PFF just to be safe!

One thing Goff has proven is that he can play at a pro bowl level with an elite run game and + receivers. He has also proven that when he doesn’t have that, he struggles.

As long as what you are calling what we have now “elite.”

Does any QB look good with bad receivers?

1 Like

I do feel with what Swift and our OLine have done, are both in the elite conversation for their positions, so yes.

Where did I say bad? You like to try and stir it up…

The PFF grade for Ragnow with a bad groin aligns with what people saw with their eyes.

1 Like

YOU said he needed +WR’s, correct?
My question stands that which QB’s look good with bad receivers?
It’s not stirring things up, just asking you a straight forward question.

1 Like

Did you forget I mentioned he has a complete offense? A top running game and a top offensive line?

It doesn’t really matter what I have to say, you probably won’t like it. So why bother…

But you are right, no quarterback has much success with bad receivers. A point I never made but one you did. You took a comment out of context and want me to explain it. Well I already did in the exact same post…

I don’t understand what’s wrong with the stance I took. 2018 Goff has the offensive player of the year in his backfield and he takes his team to the Super Bowl and makes the pro bowl. Goffs biggest supporters say he struggled once the rams lost some of their offensive talent. Now, we have a pretty loaded offense (how could one argue right now) and Goff again looks good. I don’t really think I went out on a limb there.

Here I’ll say it even more clear, Goff is really good with a complete offense around him. How’s that?

2020 Rams went to the playoffs without a RB over 625 yards.

1 Like

Oh nice! I’m wrong my bad!!! Let’s look at stats for that season shall we…

Rams offense 22nd in points per game.

Jared Goff 67% 3950yds 20TDs/13INTs QB rating 90/QBR 50.8

Team rushing 2018yds (126ypg) 10th in the league

Offensive line ranked 3rd by PFF (not that I think it means a lot, but you do) at the conclusion of the season.

Safe to say Goff wasn’t very good. But did have a good run game. Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods were his 1/2…one of the better combinations in football too.

Defense: #1 In the league against the pass, #3 against the run, #1 in points allowed. Pretty safe to say they were the overwhelmingly best defense in the NFL.

How in the world do you think bringing up the 2020 rams making the playoffs supports Goff in any way? I posted my sources in case you wanted to fact check me. I would say the rams making the playoffs had as little to do with the quarterback as possible in 2020. That team was absolutely loaded and Goff held them back. Crazy how some can think Mcvay was wrong to want to get rid of him (not saying you btw). This just brings my point to another level. Goff is a good QB with an excellent team around him. But even with that, can he get you a SB? Goff questions are valid if you ask me and will be until proven otherwise. Same as they were for Stafford :man_shrugging:t2: