Golden Tate: Stafford would've won a couple of rings playing elsewhere

Then we disagree.

When has keeping a coach who started his career poorly for 3 straight years worked out for a team in the last 30 years?

Patricia is in his 2nd year. Sometimes franchises can turn around more quickly, but it’s extremely rare.

Look at the list of SB winners listed above. All that happened in my lifetime played the majority of their careers in the same system for over a decade.

Dude I looked it up yesterday.

Every coach that has won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years had a winning record with the team they won with except Pete Carroll and Dick Vermeil by year 2.

Neither of them had their quarterback those 1st 2 years.

They both had their teams contending by year 3.

Here they go in order

1999-Mike Shananhan was 13-3 by year 2
2000-Dick Vermeil won it in year 3
2001-Brian Billick won it in year 2
2002-Bill Belichek won it in year 2
2003-John Gruden won it in year 1
2004-Bill Belichek
2005-Bill Belichek
2006-Bill Cowher was 11-5 year 1
2007-Dungy was 10-6 year 1 with the Colts
2008-Tom Coughlin was 11-5 year 2
2009-Mike Tomlin won it year 2
2010-Mike Carthy 13-3 year 2
2011- Sean Payton-10-6 year 1
2012-Tom Coughlin again
2013-John Harbaugh 11-5 year 1
2014-Pete Carroll 11-5 by year 3
2015-Bill Belichek
2016-Gary Kubiak won it year 1
2017-Bill again
2018-Doug Pederson won it year 2
2019- Bill yet again

Its not rare at all. In fact based on the last 20 years its supposed to happen fast especially when a coach takes over a team with a quarterback and had 2 winning seasons previously.

This season isn’t over but if it goes off the rails YES Patricia needs to be on the hot seat and if we aren’t in playoffs by year 3 he definitely needs to be gone.

3 Likes

Although this was not in the last 30 years, the first example that came to my mind I was sticking with a coach and system is Tom Landry multiple super bowl-winning coach of the Dallas Cowboys. In his first five seasons the team had a losing records all five seasons. The team’s overall record in that five-year period in the beginning was 18 wins 46 losses and four ties. Bill Walsh’s tenure with the 49ers in the first two seasons, both losing seasons, had an overall record of 8 wins 24 losses. Chuck Noll teams with the Steelers had a losing record the first three years with an overall record of 12 wins and 30 losses I’m confident there are others but just thought I’d start with the MULTIPLE Super Bowl winning Hall of Famers first :-).

Ok, so look at our record at season’s end, and add the GB win to it.
If that’s the standard, and how you judge, then let’s hold the same standard of comparison on all teams you are judging. Would that make sense?

Every Super Bowl winning coach in the salary cap era had a winning record by 3 year with their team and 89% of them did it by year 2.

2 Likes

I believe Mr. Tate

2 Likes

Hmm maybe, just like how Tate would still be in Seattle if he wasn’t banging Russell Wilson’s wife.

There is only a handful of teams that have won the Superbowl squarely on the play of the QB. Sure it is feasible if Stafford was on another team, he might have won. Winning the Superbowl takes great play by both the offense and defense and even sometimes the special teams.

Not sure the Lions have ever had a great defense and great offense in the same year during Stafford’s tenure. Maybe 2014 was the closest with the defense, but the offense was just mediocre that year.

These type of comments are simply shots at the Lions organization.
We get it Tate, you are still bitter at the Lions organization.
And it also can be construed as “we weren’t good enough to get it done in Detroit.” In a way it’s kind of a rip on himself and Stafford. I mean, QBs and the top receiver on a team have zero impact on who wins a game.
Tate just needs to shut up and go back to sucking with the Giants.

Eli was never great or better yet can Stafford… Put an ‘*’ by his name.

Interesting, appears that 3 years should be the max for a coach to get it done!

I wonder if any HC took til year 4 to reach the SB but not win.

100% nailed it. Tate forgot that he and Stafford were on a team that had a top 3 defense, to go along with one of the best WR’s of all time. Guess why Stafford didn’t get a ring? Because when push came to shove, Tate and Stafford got completely shut down against the Cowboys in the final 3 quarters of that playoff game. Show up for more than 15 minutes and both of you would have taken a step further towards a ring.

Not sure which team Tate thinks Stafford would have won multiple rings on, but I don’t see it. You put him on any team not named the Pats and those teams aren’t the same, because they would likely have had to cut a couple of their key players to fit Stafford’s fat salary inside the cap.

Peyton Manning was literally the worst quarterback in the NFL and won a ring in 2017.

Russell Wilson threw 4 picks in the NFC championship game and his team won.

Both those dudes made roughly the same money as Stafford.

Brees is better than them all (my opinion). Stafford as a player and a QB Talent is very much on the same level with Brady , Rodgers & Brees.
Stafford is not the reason we have not won a Championship.
The Goat is often referred to as Tom Brady, he has 6 rings.
He has had the teams ,Defense and running game, a group of 53 players to get the job done , not to mention the path, his conference and division and the GOAT as a HC and a system in place to succeed.

Off course it’s hypothetical you can only look at what a QB does when in similar situations as the teams, HC’s and paths do not resemble one another.
What in these numbers says that if Matthew Stafford was the QB of the Patriots he would not have multiple rings ?
What in these numbers says that if Brady was a Lion he would be better than what Stafford has done here… ? Staffords numbers

The fact that Stafford’s numbers almost mirror Brady’s in similar circumstances and in more apple to apple passing scenarios speak to the fact that QB Stafford is very much on his level if not higher being that these numbers do not reflect that one has had a running game and the other has not .

Career #'s when leading in games

Stafford 65.52 comp%, a 5 to 1 TD to int ratio & a QB rating of 114.5… when leading.

Brady… 65.40 comp%, a 5 to 1 TD to int ratio & a QB rating of 113.6… when leading.

Career #'s when trailing and odd they have almost identical attempts 2931 to 2929

Stafford 60.76 comp% 80 TD’s with 82 int’s a QB rating of 80.1

Brady …61.32 comp% 82 TD’s with 76 int’s a QB rating of 81.2

2 Likes

I don’t recall Billicheck winning a SB with the Browns.

He didn’t not because he was not capable, he had an owner that was to hands on and that would not let him implement his plan and tear down the team, Art wanted it his way and lost Belichick over it …Robert Kraft has Art Modell as his most favorite person in the world .

What does that have to do with anything I mentioned?

FYI the salary cap came into existence in 1994 and Bill went 11-5 with the Browns that year.

We know this ?
What we know is, if Stafford does not play on a level that FAR out performs Tom Brady with the current team we have he is not winning shit here and vice versa with Brady here .

This season alone speaks to this 2019

Tom Brady coasting to yet another incredible season , not because Tom Brady is better than Stafford . The two both passing in situations that do not resemble one another , one coasting and the other in constant dog fights .

Tom Brady is 7-0 , Stafford is 2-3-1 in the win column yet one QB has been better then the other and it’s not Brady .

7 games in for Brady and 6 for Stafford and Stafford’s numbers say he would be 7-0 on the Patriots while also playing tougher competition.

How much easier is it to pass when leading ? How much easier is it to live for another possession and throw the ball away and not force the issue when you know your Defense will do it’s job?
Are we 2-3-1 because of Stafford and his numbers ?
Is Brady 7-0 because of his numbers ?
Or does the 53 man roster and who you are facing & the coaching dictate the outcome more then the QB ?

Patriots Defense has allowed 48pts to be scored this season through 7 games .
Lions Defense has allowed 160 pts to be scored this season through 6 games.

One of these things are not like the other . Yet Brady is Goat

3 Likes