Grade Goff's performance as a whole this year

Well if he would have aim at the staff in the first half of the season he probably hits the fans in the stands.

Really, watching what? A team with BS game plans, the worst WR group in the NFL, 1 NFL TE, poor coaching from the HC on down? Yep, it was all Goff.

I gave him a C+. I still don’t think he’s the long term answer but he definitely played better after DC became the OC and the WR’s started to show up. I’m willing to look at him next year but wouldn’t mind drafting a QB in the middle rounds to groom and have available as a decent back up.

Yep and a QB that play like he was scared to death checked down when guys were open , always going to the easiest throw instead of the correct read. Fumbling, throwing balls that looked like ducks. Even the coached called him out. After he got sat and then the bye week he had whole new approach to the game, same WRs except Reynolds. And Reynolds to become the go to guy St brown was that and hes been there all year. Dan calling plays seem to help alot , but Goff came back after the buy week and was different. Maybe he had a injury that bother him maybe Dan got threw to him. But Jared’s play in the first half was not everyone else’s fault.

Oh I see, GOFF suddenly changed, it had nothing to do with a new OC or with Reynolds and hey, any chance that rookie St Brown got better with more time? This was a TEAM issue. The D played better, the O played better and special teams were solid. They had a winning record after the bye with Goff at QB, did this somehow happen because Goff went to a therapist? LOL, this shit is funny.

1 Like

I think Goff was a reclamation project
He acted like a victim of abuse
That’s what the stupid plays read to me

Lynn wasn’t helping him get on his feet
Lynn also put together shitty game plans
Goff missed open guys likely because they were never intended to be part of the play

MCDC / Johnson listened to Goff
Gave him some love
Built new plays that slowly incorporated Reynolds strengths
Built plays that has more substance than Lynn’s

Lynn actually sucked at all levels of his job
He may have handled it well but man, he’s playing checkers

I think there’s a real chance Goff grades out at a solid B level in 2022 — maybe better

The reclamation project is not yet complete but the arrow is firmly pointed UP

4 Likes

Everything you say is true, but there definitely was a “therapy” element to it as well — DC simply treated him with respect and gave him more to work with.

Hey, it looks good so far!

1 Like

I’m not sold on Goff but I’m not, (trying to think of a better phrase than stupid enough but can’t), to believe that what happened last year was somehow who he was. I just am miffed by the guys who can’t wait until next year to find a replacement IF he indeed isn’t the guy, a draft that will feature plenty of talent at QB. The 5th best QB in a shitty QB draft is somehow an option for a team that could actually fill enough holes to be competitive next season? Just shoot me.

1 Like

Dude we were asked to grade Goff on the season not just the part he played well. And most people I read including myself has said Goff gets another year to see. not many are wanting to draft a QB in what you call a bad year. But Holmes drafted a DT high in a year they were not good so who knows what they will do.

But did he have any pick 6 s this year. Did he a have a healthy oline, did he lose Hock, his best wr was 4th round draft pick. He was average at best. Plus had a shit defense

2 Likes

Blockquote Oh I see, GOFF suddenly changed, it had nothing to do with a new OC or with Reynolds and hey, any chance that rookie St Brown got better with more time?

Yes, absolutely. Don’t forget that the o-line was much better when Decker returned and Matt Nelson went to the bench.

Who would’ve thought a talented LT would make a difference to an offense?

Josh Reynolds, btw, is not some impressive talent. He took less in free agency than Charles Harris last year and was cut in the middle of the year. Goff was a solid qb at the end of the year even with a poor, or at its best average, receiving corps.

I still have a lot of questions about who Goff is as an NFL qb. Is he a franchise type guy who can consistently lead his teams to the playoffs or is he a guy like Nick Foles who a team needs to replace? But the end of the year was really encouraging.

I still have alot of questions about Goff to. My biggest concern is can he stay Confident. You can really tell when he’s rattled.

In any event I’m willing to give him next season while we develop another QB. Which brings me to the next QB.

Malik Willis - RPO and QB-run-heavy offense with featured passing in the shallow areas and vertically down the field.

After senior bowl the staff will know if they want Willis. If they do I can see MCDC using him in a Taysom Hill role just to get him some experience.

Willis could be explosive if properly developed. Right now he’s a thrower and runner moreso than a actual QB.

C- Pre-DC A- Post DC (Ave B-)

Why does that look like a chemical formula for an anti-depressant?

1 Like

I keep seeing that Goff was atrocious in the beginning of the year and I feel this is a bit inaccurate. He wasn’t good, but he wasn’t broken F/D grade either.

I went back and watched some of the highlights and he made a lot of good throws in the first half of the year.

I knew early that the problem was Lynn and not Goff because Goff was making good throws when he had confidence in the play. The problem was way too many predictable plays and guys running into each other and likely the wrong routes. Add in that the OL was not playing well and he was under pressure at the highest rate in the NFL (30%+ of drop backs).

Was Goff good in the first half? No he was not. Was he broken like Wentz last year? Goff was not broken.

I’m hoping that Goff stepped up as a leader and influenced DC that Lynn was not the guy. That would be a leadership feather in his cap towards his grade. A lot of coaches could have pointed to the QB like most fans do and benched Goff instead of Lynn. DC appears to have made the right call based on the 1/2 half results of the season.

Its easy to say Goff was terrible in the first half, but really it was a terrible offense.

3 Likes

spot on. That’s why I bumped from from a D- to a C-
I can’t ever remember a situation where a QB had so much stacked against him than Goff did early in the season. He had:

No LT
A rookie RT playing LT
An undrafted converted DE playing RT
An OC in over his head who couldn’t design a scheme
Zero veteran NFL caliber WRs

All that warrants some slack. After he got Reynolds, who is basically a good 3rd WR on most rosters, Amon Ra got his rookie legs under him, DC took over play calling and he got his LT back, he was one of the better QBs in the league

1 Like

TRUE. Big Dan is no meathead.

1 Like

*bUt hE THreW iT awAay oN fFoOOrtH daaun!!1!

Still better than 4 pick sixes I’d wager🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Watching DC run his team in the finale against the Packers made me think he has a sublime knowledge of NFL Football (and not because of the “trick” plays). I’m not ready to say he’s a genius, but I’m starting to think that he might be.

I get grading Goff on this season as a forum exercise, and yep, he sucked ass the first half, but so did literally everything else about this team. Grading Goff on this season is like grading the Lions on this season, it’s kind of silly…this season was basically the equivalant of grading pre-school and diaper changes.

Goff first half of season: F
Goff second half: B
Soooo, I guess that averages a solid threeve.

Now next year, grading Goff, and even the Lions, will be much more apropo as far as legitimacy goes.

2 Likes

From today’s paper when discussing WR performance and grade which impacts Goff

The Lions lacked a true vertical threat on offense and receivers coach Antwaan Randle El acknowledged his group was not as detailed in its route-running as it needed to be early in the year.