Grading Dan Campbell as a Head Coach

Judge handled the Jason Garrett situation extremely poorly. MCDC handles the situation with Lynn with class. Two coaches having issues with their OC and they handled it very differently.

2 Likes

Campbell positives:

- Candid forthrightness. After the ridiculously secretive to zero positive effect Quinntricia regime, it’s refreshing.

- Outmanned team seems to keep playing for him – leader-of-men stuff. Though I have heard some note that the team is full of rookies and people hanging onto rosters by the skin of their teeth, so of course they play hard.

Campbell negatives:

- Poor X’s and O’s/game management. Too many to count. Careens between overly conservative and overly aggressive.

- Egregious decision to take over offensive play-calling. Campbell’s bad at it, and seems to have no self-awareness that he’s bad at it. And doing it his way has set the passing game back to the 1940s. He apparently made a bad call on Anthony Lynn as offensive coordinator, or doesn’t trust him. Either one is an X against Campbell.

We also need to add into the Campbell equation that he has equal power with Holmes, and equal say in player acquisition. So this horrific WR corps at least in part has to fall on Campbell for thinking they had what they needed for an NFL campaign.

The jury’s still out on Campbell. He’ll need to significantly change and improve – and despite the b.s. narratives attempting to excuse his problems, he is not “a new guy learning on the job.” There is disturbing evidence that he’s not a good coach in total. He should have a small window in which to to prove that wrong and turn things around. As in, no more than one more season. Get the job done or go away.

2 Likes

Judge benched Golden Tate. I made a comment back then…that benching Golden Tate is a sure sign the coach is in completely over his head. It popped up as a memory on my FB timeline recently and I was like “yep, still true.”

2 Likes

Playing prevent defense against baltimore when a FG can win. Okay it was a record attempt but still. so you learn from that right? no you wait a whole week and do the same thing against the vikings.

losing when you don’t have the horses to win is one thing, losing because the coaching staff makes decisions to lose you the game is really indefensible. It’s almost like ‘taking the wind’.

I also have a huge problem making millions while ‘learning on the job’. this isn’t rocket science and while the game moves fast it’s not so fast you can’t plan ahead a play or 2 “if this happens then…” kind of thing.

2 Likes

And if there were actually true then anyone would be a coach….

1 Like

It’s hard t believe you could write that much crap about a highly overpaid failure that should be fired immediatly. The guy is a looser and a fucking joke.

I like crap…. And jokes…

This post raised my blood sodium count to unhealthy levels

Salty GIF by MasterChefAU

The average age in the league is just over 26 years old and the spread of teams is only between 25.5 years and 27.3 years. So we are talking pretty small differences and the Lions do fall below the average age of 26. While we are a young team. We’re really not all that much younger. Had we retained an older vet like the Mule we would be close to average.

You are correct Joe Judge let Garrett go. Publicly stated it wasn’t a blame game. Just the result we’re to his liking and it’s nothing against Garrett.

He then turned over play calling to Freddie Kitchens and asked that him and QB coach Jerry Schuplinski work together on the play calling.

Yeah I disagree with this completely.

Taking over the play calling when you have zero experience at it and failing to realize your the crutch isn’t handling it professionally.

Also firing Garrett at this point really isn’t the bad thing your making it out to be. More than likely Garrett asked to be let go once he was told they were relieving him of play calling. Most coaches want to be let go so that they can get an early jump on coaching vacancies. It gives him a legitimate chance to land a college HC job too.

Personally I think Joe handled it far better than Dan did. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Judge fired Garrett as a flex move, just like when he benched Golden Tate. The guy is in over his head and I hope teams have learned their lesson about plucking head coaches directly from the Patriot tree.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong I’m not all that impressed with him as a coach either but I’m not sure this move is a negative and Dans is a positive like @QBHATER90 is suggesting it is.

I think what Joe did shows better management than what Dan did.

Just my opinion.

A winless season there’s only one grade possible he gets a F

He got the job on a slogan, Marnelli had his Sharpe pic and light at the end of the tunnel.

And then Campbell and his were gonna bite some knee caps and be fighters and tuff

Then they go out a get a QB that has less heart then any player I’ve seen. Jared put the P In pussssy. How can you have a tuff team when your QB is so scared he throws the ball out bounds on four down.

Exactly that’s how he got the job

I’m not emotionally invested as some of you are - and your posts show it my friends.

Dan is better…. In fact, didn’t we crush the running game in the last three that DC was in on tue play calling? Got to get exp some where…. Of dust we just see where our defense during these same theee games held the opponents to under 20 a game? Or that our pass rush jumped stat wise into the top ten teams as well?

Only two thing are negative with Dan right now …… period.

• passing game (both QB and WRs) but with the addition of Josh this may be changing
  • win and loses. This sucks big time but the reality is we lost five games by aTD or less…. We are three plays from 2/3 wins alone…

I’m proud of how they are handling it right now amd the team is still fighting.

You select few can keep being ugly and complain and be mean…. Your choices and opinions

Now it time to go enjoy the day Gods given me brothers- go so the same!! :crazy_face::+1::upside_down_face::heart::pray:

3 Likes

Yup - exactly.
Coaching gets easier as talent level rises. Imagine a passing “attack” with no QB or WRs. :wink:
Run game is gonna be monstrous with Ragnow plugged back in.
Energy spent on different areas too.

This year, a lot of Dan’s energy was spent on logistics, seeing who goes where, which coaches can handle which amounts of delegation, how to organize road games, etc, etc, etc.

This year, there will be more focused energy. Concentrated focus on things that no longer have to be worried about. Energy spent more on football, as systems get organized (ranging from meeting times, to meeting places, practice breakdowns and team splits, etc, etc, etc). He knows his guys that he can count on, and only has to focus on a couple that failed, instead of all of them.

In terms of coaching the team, we have depth, and talent at OL. They may experience some growing pains with a new system, as we replace the OC, but this will trend dramatically upward.

Dan goes back to HC, instead of HC and OC, which will be even less energy expenditure for him.

As we get more talent on D, an already good coordinator should thrive within the next year or two.

To me, they will get this thing right. My biggest concern by a mile is getting a QB.

Sadly I’m slowly moving to the overall idea that maybe we need to move on from Goff already

But! Josh Reynolds is giving me a ray of light! If they Goff and Josh can keep getting better, and pulling coverage off the rest of the WRs… Goff needs to spread the ball around and get to playing well

His last game wasn’t that bad overall. Esp starting out 9-9….

His lack of leadership is why I want to move on…far bigger issue than his football abilities. He’s not gonna be the “big brother” energy that sticks up for the team…he is the dude that needs to be stuck up for.

Tom Brady in clutch situations…“Let’s go get this shit done, men.”
Goff in same situation…“Help me guys”

I’m talking about the way they carry themselves energetically.

I believe Goff will be fine with better pass protection (we only had it last game as the o-line has been good against the run but not the pass; Decker is key). And he needs a couple of receivers. He did well with Reynolds (a 3-4 guy). He needs to add a 1-2 guy in the mix next year (fingers crossed). If this was my first season watching him, I would not be happy either. But I’ve been a fan for years. He’s a very good pocket passer and he can win big games. He is also young so I think he will continue to get better. Next year is key, though . . .

Disagree with you here. How many Tom Bradys or Peyton Mannings are there out there? Guys that mentally elevate the team beyond one person?

Goff has a very ‘let’s go do this’ style that works well in the big games. He’s not Brady, but I think this is another place where he shines over Stafford, Cousins, Garoppolo.

You’ve only see the worst of Goff where he doesn’t believe in this team right now but is trying to make the most of it.

2 Likes