Ground Hog Day

Well, I was expecting that the Lions win the Super Bowl on Sunday and they didn’t… :scream:

Did you think the Lions were going to lose the first 3 games because of all the drastic changes and because of three solid teams of the gate? I did. They now have two more to lose and then we’ll see what they have. I’ve got a double dose of optimist genes and even I have enough sense to patiently endure these 3 losses.

1 Like

Everyone-cool your jets. It’s going to be 3 or 4 years. And that’s just to be competitive. This year is just auditions to see who’s going to stay for next years auditions. New coach has to hire HIS coaching staff then over the next couple/few years get HIS type of players. Players are going to come and go. Draft here, free agent there. Get the salary situation stable….etc. Anyone remember when the Tigers hired Sparky Anderson? He said ‘in 5 years we’ll win a championship’. It took that long and he did. No instant gratification here.

2 Likes

That’s not really how the modern NFL works. If they can’t be competing by year 3 under DC then they likely never will.

1 Like

I think we’re competitive next year, if not the year after.

When’s the last time the Lions were ‘modern NFL’? It might not take 4, but no less than 3.

I have my doubts about Holmes I mean he said are WRs are Good and he likes that room. And then he said the same about the safety’s. While most are raving over his every move, it’s hard to believe in a guy that thinks our safety’s and WR are good. Hell almost every poster here found them positions to be very weak.

I gave him the benefit of a merge. We’ll see what happens next.

What would you expect him to say?
“Our WR room is awful, and I can’t wait to replace them?” :wink:
I’m guessing 2/3 of our WR room won’t even be on the roster in 2 years. 1/2 of them will be gone next offseason. You can’t rebuild an entire roster in 1 offseason. We had a shitty roster to begin with, AND we lost Golliday, Jones, and Stafford. Lots of work to do here. Cephus will be a solid contributor/depth guy, Raymond may work out as a versatility type dude. St Brown will be here. Aside from that, those dudes will all get fired. Probably one starting receiver on this roster.

Just my opinion, but if Holmes’s comment is the soul basis for your judgement, I think you are waaayyyy off base.

Not the sole bases just one piece, the safetys is another and we still have cap he chose to stand pat, then the signing of Decker then drafting LT now you have 2 LTs and still no RT. One of these guys will being playing out of position and there’s tons of conflict now. Then The overkill at Defensive tackle , you. trade for Brockers have Williams then draft 2 more High. When you have 0 talent at WR and safety. 2 position that most thought was biggest needs yet he stay clear of both till 4th rd. You can use the you can’t do it all in one year theme ( we here that every year ), but he had chances and stood on his word that he likes these groups.

Now I’m not saying he can’t improve or won’t turn out to be good, but he’s not the god some guys make him out to be.

Well said.

I also have doubts about the non-moves at safety, plus the Perriman and Williams choices look really bad at the moment. Holmes needs support and improvement there for sure.

I keep reminding myself that this is year #1 … we weren’t going to win a playoff game regardless with the roster they were working with. We could have brought in prime Jerry Rice and Ed Reed. Drafting slightly higher because of not making a big move in the secondary may be an acceptable outcome … but the grace period is over for Holmes going into off-season number two.

SO - I’m not going to get hung up on a few questionable decisions this year. There have been enough positive moves elsewhere to warrant optimism moving forward.

2 Likes

I’m with you on alot of your rants but you are off base with “oh gee golly he must LOVE our receivers!!!” You can’t fix every position in a single year. Particularly when you are eating $50M in dead money in a post COVID salary cap year.

1 Like

Exactly!
Some people live their life in avoidant patterns. If we avoid, it prevents us from feeling pain…if I’m skeptical enough, and don’t fully engage, then I don’t have to suffer if it doesn’t work out.
People do this with other ppl, especially in intimate relationships. They avoid, in order to avoid ultimate pain. What they miss, is ultimate pleasure.

These people never truly live in the moment. They numb to hide from the pain. Being highly present in the moment, you get to witness your OWN behavior. Look
what am I thinking,
how does that serve/not serve me?
Does this make me happy?
Is this a fun way to live?
What if I could experience more peace, fun, love?
Am I being realistic, or just pessimistic (in a defense mechanism)?
Am I projecting how things are, in order to be “right,” or am I seeking to observe and understand what it could be?

Not the same ownership
Not the same players
Not the same coaches
Not the same Strength and conditioning ppl

Projecting the past into the future is fantasizing. Reverse fantasizing for some that want to get into semantics.
If you are going to fantasize and project, is it making your life a better place by trauma bonding with the past, or living a new experience?

This is a completely different experience. There is still national stigma, and biased officiating, but the humans we have running the show are all new. Totally different.
Different systems
Different philosophy
Different culture
Different styles
Etc, etc, etc

1 Like

I would much rather they pick the best players instead of lesser players that fill a need. That is a losing formula and something we have watched here for decades. Fill your roster with as much talent as you can. Eventually it will even out or you have trade capital to fill a key position.

You also can’t assume he would not like to upgrade at WR or Sfty - We don’t have that much cap space to pay for a really expensive vet and maybe he thinks our WR’s and safeties actually are better than the second tier WR’s and safeties available on the market.

If you could just pick up great players whenever you wanted to then everyone would have stacked teams. I think we will see a dramatic uptick in talent next draft/offseason. Meanwhile we have a lot of young players that will improve all year long. Give it time.

1 Like

Holmes and Campbell should be gone if the Lions aren’t competitive in Year 3. Hell, they should be on the hot seat if they aren’t competitive next season. Playoffs should be the expectation in '23-'24 if Holmes and Campbell are legit.

These moves would feel like “win as many games as you can this year” approach, without considering the future. This is a complete tear-down/rebuild.
If we had a competent RB (like Swift), and the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders is avialable, do we go with safety, because we have a hole at safety?

What if he plays RT better than any other RT? Massive upgrade from VAtai? Difficult to judge that move, IMO.

As for DT, what about injuries? Are all of the DTs you refer to actual DTs, or is there position versatility like a MF’r?
What if we lose Flowers next offseason?
Have they anticipated that? none of us know?

I don’t see anyone making anyone out to be a God. I understand that is in the positive, but beware of dramatic languaging. Things are not black and white, there are varying levels and layers of gray.

I LOVE HOLMES’S HAIR. Handsome MF’r is killing it, IMO.

I recognize out roster is devoid of talent, but
Levi starts
Alim starts
Sewell starts
Barnes becomes a starter
St Brown starts
That’s a daaaamn good draft.

Moving forward like that will position this team very quickly. How many offseason of drafting like that will position us as a winner?
I can’t answer the question, just living in the space of “what if,” instead of blindly judging it as the same as the past.

1 Like

I can’t believe he hasn’t thumped anyone yet.

2 Likes

They’ll never let that shit go public. I’m sure threats have been made, by now. I’m watching for anyone other than Holmes to come out of the front office in a cast or sling. I’m not saying we should assume that’s what happened, but I’m just saying…

2 Likes

Holmes clearly didn’t have unquestioned faith in T Williams and Perriman because he paid them low dollars and a 1 year prove it.

He looked around and those two were two big and fast WRs that might be able to produce for a low price and low risk.

He traded for Benson but not a huge amount.

He is being careful with the Ford $$$ and sometimes you have to keep some cap in your pocket so you can sign guys mid-season as injuries come up.

1 Like

Perfect summation. I’m trying hard to let the little stuff go…just not good for anyone’s health.

3 Likes