Hard to Believe!

All of sudden with a real coach, he doesn’t suck! Hard to believe. Patricia got nothing out of him. AG and Campbell cut him in training camp because he was struggling so much. And now here we are. Kyle Van Noy 2.0. Coaching is everything.
Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

3 Likes

Yeah, I pointed this out in different threads.
I actually watched some of the Patriots game before the Lions (was it the Packers?, Cowboys?). Tavai looked like a way different player. Yes, I even mentioned VanNoy 2.0. It sucks big time!
Tavai has a better PFF grade than Rodrigo. Go figure.

3 Likes

We always talk about the curse of the 2nd rounders…well Van Noy and Tavai both 2nd rounders. It makes me wonder how many of our 2nd round picks wouldn’t have been busts if drafted by another team. Good coaching and player development is so vital. Such a shame.

7 Likes

the only silver lining is that if the coaches know what they’re looking at, we should have some players (Pittman, Board, etc) that SHOULD be able to pay at least as good as Tavai with better schemes and coaching. I can’t believe Tavai has all of a sudden become a differnt athlete. I just think he’s now comfortable in that system.
We need some x and o guys sprinkled in with our motivators.

3 Likes

YES
I’ve said this from the beginning too…Dan’s the ultimate motivator, but could REALLY benefit from an “advisor” in game

6 Likes

I agree, it’s essential he has top notch coordinators as X’s and O’s men. I guess we all should have seen this sooner. Dom Capers I think was that guy on defense. Ben Johnson doesn’t have much experience but so far it’s been very encouraging on offense. Gotta fix the defense and we could possibly turn this thing around at some point. Sadly, I think Dan might have to part with his good buddy sooner rather than later, we can’t keep forcing a punt once every 3 games.

4 Likes

Agree w/all of this too, man.
I think we go back to more 3-4 looks after the bye, and it helps some (not much), but we need a DT SO bad.
I was surprised we didn’t take Jordan Davis, when we traded up. I’m VERY happy we got JaMoss though…and think he could end up as the. best player taken out of his draft.
Sure would look better w/a DT right now though.

1 Like

A dominant DT would surely help, but the scheme is 70% of the problem IMO. I’d put about 30% of it on the defensive players. Since Walker tore his achilles the nose dive was massive on Defense. Perhaps he was way more important that many of us gave him credit for. But, one injury is no excuse for the disaster on that side of the ball. Perfect example of this is Tavai now doing well. Every team has talent. It’s how it’s used that matters most.

3 Likes

I think so too…but it is harder to scheme around having a massive hole in the middle than a weak CB or LB (…or all 3 in our case)?

Scheme would make more sense if we had the horses to “get there.” Truthfully, we get very close, very often. Replacing out literal weakest link (outside of kicker), with our best player (outside of Fox, of course)…(that’s what I’m hoping for

2 Likes

Leader, communicator, vet, mentor…and still our highest rated defensive player – this hurt real bad. The positive is that Joseph gets the ‘drink from a firehose’ treatment.

3 Likes

He is a different player. He was around 270 lbs with Patricia. In part because he loved junk food and the other part because Patricia thought LBs should be big and bloated. The first thing our coaching staff did was have him trim down to below 250 lbs. Which is also where AJ Hawk said all LBs should be in the modern NFL (below 250) unless it happens to come natural for that player to be above that weight. There’s simply no benefit. So imagine that. Fatty Matty had no clue but people who have actually played the game realize how stupid it is to bulk up beyond a certain weight.

Frightening.

1 Like

Dan needs to know his limitations, he hasn’t or can’t, but you are correct, someone needs to help Dan with the strategy and in-game decisions. I just dont know if he’ll ever admit it or ask for it.

2 Likes

Meh. he’s still a backup. Apparently, Quinn was right about Tavai being a fit for the Patriots. Patricia was unable to duplicate that here.

As for his lack of success with the Lions, they had him up in the 260-270 range and he was slow as molasses.

After he trimmed down, he still couldn’t make the team here. I do remember Dan loving his attitude and work ethic. But apparently, he wasn’t doing enough on the field, even slimmed down, to cut it here.

Whatever. we need another backer better than the new Tavai anyway. He’s still draggin people down from behind like at hawaii, that hasn’t changed.

It’s the Patriots. It’s the same reason when guys leave there they rarely have the same success. I think it’s obvious that TB12 was the reason they won all those SB’s, but BB is still one of the greatest coaches of all time.

3 Likes

That’s on the staff, not Tavai.

I want to know how the 14 year old girl in India grades a play where Tavai drags down the RB after a 17 yard run through his gap.

Boom … tackle. PFF grade of 100. Yay.

3 Likes

Yeah - I pointed out the Walker thing in another thread. Our secondary is so young and inexperienced. He really kept communication strong and held things together. Add the missing plugger DT, Anzalone as our best LB starting option and consistently banged up DE’s and you get a mess. Better x and o’s are definitely needed as well as experience and some talent infusion. Our defense is simply a speed bump for most teams. I think it will improve but only slowly over the course of the year. And as it is the ceiling is pretty low too.

1 Like

Those girls have high level football knowledge. How dare you question them!? Where do you think AG gets his defensive coaching advice from?

Embarrassed Shame GIF

2 Likes