Hear me out on Coastal Carolina's Grayson McCall

I get it, it’s subdivision level. It’s the Sun Belt. But I’m thinking future. Like hold out until the 5th round but sneak him in during the 4th if you have to. I don’t know that he would still be there in the 5th.

First of all, this kid is 6’3, 215. That is almost Josh Allen size.

Now Grayson although being on the team for four years only played three. So in three years:

549 of 780 for 8019 yards (70.4% comp and 10.3 y/c). 78 TD, 8 INT. Rating of 187.7. He also tacked on a little over 1,000 yards and 16 TDs rushing in that time.

Now unfair comparison to potential HOF QB Josh Allen in his 2.3 years playing in college:

365 of 649 for 5,066 yards (56.2% comp and 7.8 y/c). 44 TD, 21 INT. Rating of 131.1. He also tacked on 767 yards and 12 TDs rushing in that time.

Let me be clear on this again, I’m not comparing a rookie QB to Josh Allen just presenting facts.

But this kid is a football player. He’s a leader. Go get him in the 4th. Sit him. Get him in that QB room. Get him around Ben Johnson. Get him around Goff. Get him around those receivers. Get him around Mark Brunell and MCDC.

I really think he could grow from rookie to reliable backup to leader of the Detroit Lions.

You may all now drop nuke bombs on me.

7 Likes

He may go undrafted and we don’t have a 4th.

Fine with me. Grab him in the 5th. Some may say it’s a reach; I disagree.

Then what you should do is find a reliable site that says he’s a top 10 QB.

1. Coastal Carolina image Grayson McCall, QB, Coastal Carolina
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 210.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
    Projected Round (2023): 4-6.

How, if you are the 18th ranked QB are you going to go 4-6 when a normal draft takes 11-12 QB’s?

I never said he was Top 10. I said hear me out and explained why I liked him and said I didn’t think he was a reach. If you think he’s destined to never be heard from again, you’re welcome to your opinion.

I on the other hand see a young guy with no rush to play him and think he could turn into an asset if you get him into this organization around the particular group of players and coaches they have. No more. No less.

2 Likes

I’ve been on the Grayson train for a while. His long passes aren’t the ropes we saw with Stafford. But they are crazy accurate, he kind of lofts them in. More like Bradford when he was in college before getting hurt

Also seems to process the field really well and navigates the pocket well. I’d definitely be into taking a mid round flyer on the kid

2 Likes

I’m just saying that no one has him rated very high, no one, it isn’t just MY opinion.

I see this as well but I’ve also seen some ropes in the shorter-long yard ranges. He will definitely have to develop a little more zip on some longer plays in the NFL against NFL CBs.

But you’re right, he drops those long ones in directly on point.

1 Like

I have watched video on this guy and have been high on him as well. Not sure why he is not ranked higher. He has size, and arm, and is very accurate. I would love to spend a late round pick on him and let him grow behind Goff.

2 Likes

Because they don’t play anybody. He actually might have gotten drafted after the 2020 season when they went undefeated until they played Liberty in their bowl game. They did beat BYU who was ranked 11th at the time. I think he had a better shot then than now.

1 Like

I forget who they were playing but I was just watching something the other day where he ran it into the end zone and the DB just kind of bounced off him a yard in standing up while he didn’t even move an inch backwards. Like the poor guy just ran into a brick wall.

1 Like

He wasn’t eligible. Don’t get me wrong I understand what you’re saying based on schedule that year; it’s just a moot point.

1 Like

We all have our favorites, I personally like Bo Nix as a late add but I wouldn’t use a pick before the 5th. The problem is that there are some really decent choices from the 8-12 range and that typically isn’t the case. There were only 9 QB’s taken last year including “Mr. Irrelevant” and 11 the year before but in 2020 there were 13. That said the last 3 were huge reaches even though they were taken in the 7th round. I think teams are willing to just let the draft play out at QB if they aren’t or haven’t taken a QB by the 5th.

1 Like

You make a great point and I agree with you. But Holmes has shown that he is not scared to draft someone he wants, and I think McCall should be on his list.

I like Bo Nix also, but I don’t think he drops nearly that far. He’s got that extra year so more yards but still fewer TDs and more INTs than McCall.

1CJ you have to remember in the grand scheme of this discussion I’m talking strictly developmental. Some have even speculated Nix will go in the first (but likely slip to day 2).

The problem with letting it play out is if you really want the guy, as soon as the draft is over some other team might call him 4 minutes before you do.

Of course he does and that gets back to strength of schedule and everyone Nix played under at Auburn has been fired including 3 OC’s in 3 years and the head coach. I’m talking strictly developmental as well, very few drafts yield more than 3 or 4 starting QB’s and almost never as late as what we’re talking about. If you really want the guy, call him before the draft is over. Let him know that our #3 spot is open right now, that isn’t the situation for very many teams. THEY get to pick and choose so why wouldn’t you go to the team where you have the best chance to catch on?

I bet SF is pretty happy right about now they drafted Brock Purdy with the last pick of the draft :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If the Lions could get him undrafted, then fantastic. All the better. But if he goes at #13 in the 7th to some other team then I’ve lost a guy I’m really high on. And pertaining to actually getting McCall I’m either a complete idiot who would need to eat crow or a genius who should be employed running an NFL team. :joy:

Chances are he simply doesn’t get drafted, we’ll see. Bailey Zappe was taken in the 4th last year and I think he has a chance to make it as an eventual starter and he came out of Western, KY.

I’m 6’2” 215 LBS 4.2 in the 40.

You’re now my pick. McCall is 4.67.