Here’s a crazy draft take for 6

Assuming we don’t trade down and Anderson and Carter are off the board….

I’m just not all that excited about Murphy Bresee or Wilson. The CBs are a bit of a reach there

What about taking Quentin Johnston WR TCU? This way we don’t need to worry about resigning Chark for north of ten million and we don’t have to scramble to sign Trinity Benson when Jamo tweaks his knee week three

Dude is a freak in the CJ mold. It hits positional value and saves cap in not overpaying for Chark because the WR salary structure is so out of whack

4 Likes

gettyimages-93021071-e1555322034448

8 Likes

I’d take him at 18.

1 Like

don’t think he slides to 18

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind going WR if the right player was there - the remaining teams should speak loudly to the benefit of loading the WR room, three of them basically have 2 #1 WRs - but I don’t think Johnston is the right player.

Physically he has everything you want, but he doesn’t separate very well at the top of his routes. It’s almost as if he’s rounding everything off, it’s strange. He gets off the line well enough, but he doesn’t create the separation that might allude to.

He’s also basically a nothing as a blocker. Not sure if that’s how he was used or he just doesn’t care, but we know that won’t fly here.

6 Likes

Good shit hes first off the board, unless someone needs slot, than JSN is gone

idk, cause it depends on what we do with Josh Reynolds and Chark (i think reynolds is on a 1 year, and i know we will resign raymond)

If both leave, Quentin Johnson enters the convo for sure tbh

1 Like

I dont either but i dont like the thought of him at 6, to me its just to high when we have so many defensive needs.

Now if that’s the way Holmes goes, I’ll trust it completely.

7 Likes

He was one DJ Turner missed tackle away from having a fairly pedestrian game against UM. Honestly i dont see what the hype is with him, definitely not top 10. Hopefully the Bears disagree.

You can’t add #1oa picks to the draft. Every year, someone picks at #6oa, and they have to pick from who is left.
At least we have the Rams pick, otherwise we’d be picking only from who’s left at #18oa. Carter won’t be there either.
Neither will Murphy, Bresee, or Wilson.

3 Likes

I’m a bit stunned that someone can watch this kid play and feel he’s a value at #6 but at the same time think that’s “too early” for the big 3 corners. To me the CBs in the draft are better than Johnston. He doesn’t really impress me much outside his size.

5 Likes

He’d enter the convo just for form, but I’d hope he’d exit very soon afterward. I confess I was infatuated with him after watching a couple of his flash plays and then not so much after watching non-highlight portions of some of his games . I think all 4 of the receivers drafted up to Jamo at #12 last year are far superior to Johnston.

3 Likes

Honestly I think Jaxon Smith-Njigba will be as successful as those guys, but to me he’s strictly a slot receiver which makes him superfluous for us. He’s also not gonna test through the roof so there’s no way he goes that high.

1 Like

Its the strange world we live in these days with draftnik’s proclaiming “value” as if its a dollars and sense thing vs just choosing a guy to be on the team.

1 Like

Ideally, you do both.

I’m probably in the minority but I’d rather take Bijan at 6.

5 Likes

I’m having a hard time falling in love with anyone at 6

3 Likes

Between the 2, absolutely rather have Bijan. Resign Chark and this offense hits another level. Johnson doesn’t separate. and Goff isn’t a 50/50 guy.

We’re an offense built to control the LOS, run the ball and play action. Swift is the only RB under contract next yr, and he can’t stay healthy. We also have all seen how much better the O is with a healthy Swift. We’re also a team that plays outdoors in the cold where running in bad weather is essential.

I do not buy the value argument as much as others. Id take Bijan over an Okudah all day everyday. Id take him over countless players that flamed out in the top 10. A wasted pick is a wasted pick, a stud is a stud. I could careless about 5 yrs down the road when it comes to RB. If he’s a generational talent maybe you do resign him or let him go and get a comp pick. If he’s a stud that lifts the offense to another level for 5 yrs great!!, and he’s cheap. In 3-4 yrs look for his replacement. Id rather pay a stud cheap than a jag the same money.

Trust the scouts, if Bijan is the bpa by a good amount, he’s the pick. If not then pick whoever is bpa. Id take a OG like Nelson over a LBer like Davis, a WR like N’keal, a TE like Ebron or Hock, positional value only means so much. If you get a stud be it OG or RB it’s a value pick vs a bust because you reach for need, imo

10 Likes

WR @ 6!? I’d prefer a tight end! We have had a lot of success with 1st round TE’s, haha

That’s obvious in hindsight. I’d take Tyree Wilson over Trent Richardson all day. I’d take Devon Witherspoon over him. I’d take Gonzalez over him. So would everyone else. As you said, a wasted pick is a wasted pick.

Which is exactly the point. You don’t pass on more talented players to reach for need. The “value” is in making the right pick

2 Likes