Hockenson another ons of "the boys"?

It coming up for TJ Hockenson to get an extension.

It looks like the Lions are gonna pay

However, In my opinion Hockenson has played like a good late rounder or UDFA.

He isnt derserving of the money he is commanding and the Lions are likely to give him

He seems like a “one of the boys” signing.

Very similar to Trey Flowers and Bob Quinn

Or even Michael Brockers and Brad Holmes.

Just my opinion. But Hockenson has not been good at all to me. Still rocking some fatty, non-sclupted arms too. Really putting that underwear olympic work in.

Imo…id trade him…but “thats not how you build culture”…

Or…thats not how you treat “one of the boys”…

Ok…Matt Millen.

You either deserve your pay or you dont…and Hockenson is far from a top TE in any facer of the game

I cannot believe you spent 8 minutes writing that line of gibberish thought.

14 Likes

Hock was over drafted and has under performed.

You can get his same level of production at a much lower price. I’d easily give up some catches for better blocking.

Let someone else sign him to a big $$ deal and we’ll use the comp pick on another TE that will produce the same and save us a ton.

2 Likes

It’s always weird to me when you have a top ten player at his position and people want to let him walk because apparently it’s super easy to find top ten talent at any given position at any given time. This would create a hole in the roster where we previously didn’t have one. Are the Lions a good enough team to do that sort of thing right now?

Who Knows Idk GIF by MOODMAN

10 Likes

There isnt much marginal production benefit between TE 7 and TE 20, check out the previous Hock threads for the stat breakdowns over the last 3 years. Certainly not for the contracts tomoto cans like Njoku ust got.

Hock we already paid over market once for Hopium and Upside and it hasnt happened.

1 Like

I think this topic was teleported from one year in the future when the picture will be much clearer. My bullet points:

1. There is close to zero chance Hock will be extended this year.

2. Next year we’ll know if his blocking improved, if he can stay healthy, if his YACs evolve to something more than drop-and-roll.

3. We’ll know where the TE market is after more David Njoku signings: Was his contract a trend and a crazy signing?

4. We’ll have a good idea if James Mitchell has solid potential to be TE #1 in 2024.

5. Trading Hock this year leaves our TE room with a major hole. That would be, um, an unforced error.

9 Likes

This is where I am leaning. It’s put up time. Make me a believer and I’ll believe. I was all over getting a TE in this draft because it was a need AND it was a deep draft for TE’s. We’ve tried the “shotgun” approach with how many on the team, but I’m pretty sure most if not all of them
were UDFA’s. There’s several TE’s I like in next years draft including fellow Hawkeye Sam LaPorta, but I doubt we would use as high a pick as it would take to get him. The clock is ticking on Cinderella here.

1 Like

He isnt the top TE but statistically if he can stay healthy he is one of the higher level TE. Needs to be better but his draft position doesnt matter at this point, and can be hear relatively cheap for two years considering what guys like njoku, who isnt at hocks level is getting paid. Why are we so worried about paying him as a fan base when we can realistically hold his rights till 2025 if we truly wanted to if he does perform, if he doesnt he will be gone either through trade or after 2024. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

1 Like

The D Watson contract, and the Njoku contract are two of the worst ever constructed in the history of the NFL. This isn’t coming from me … it’s a consensus from every unbiased league source that has commented on them.

So I’m not sure I would follow that particular trend if I’m B Holmes.

Like someone else posted, I would let Hockenson simmer for a year, and then go from there. Often injured, and slightly above average doesn’t equal a ton of leverage for a player if you ask me … but what the hell do I know?

1 Like

Speaking of the boys, let’s trade him to them for a 1st and a 3rd.

I’d be surprised if we don’t sign him this year. I think it’s closer to 80% that he is signed this summer. 6yr/$60M-$65M, $28M guaranteed and paid in 1st three years . . . $36M over 4 years.

You do the extension early, you reduce the guaranteed money on the contract, because he’s already got $12.8M guaranteed over next two years.

I’d be really surprised if TJ isn’t done soon.

5 Likes

By far the biggest deal. If you look at Hoch’s stats/game played, he moves WAY up the list…he just misses a ton of games.
I like his talent and upside. Our coaches will gt his ceiling out of him, but if he’s always injured, they can’t do anything about that.

I feel like he’s gonna be a different animal…but an animal nonetheless. This dude will be a better deep threat than anyone sees coming (that’s what she said).
I think he has a ceiling of TE1, and a good one at that. I just think his biggest strength is the receiving Side of things.

Gonna be interesting to see how it shakes down, for sure.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

…had to, man! Had to!

This is what I see too, bro. Spot on. Hoch will improve…period. Our coaches are amazing…
However…
Can he stay healthy?

1 Like

Lions should see how he looks this year and how he fits into the rhythm of the offense. They have this year and next year on his rookie contract yet. And could always franchise tag him in 2024

2 Likes

I don’t understand the urgency with signing Hock this year, especially in the wake of Njoku signing. Will the market get even crazier? Contracts now or next year will be based on the same salary cap future, so that isn’t the issue, is it? Perhaps we value his contributions differently.

If Danimal Magnetism and a fair assessment of his worth keep silly numbers out of Hock’s head, sure, let’s do it after Brad says nyet seven times. I think the more prudent and flexible path is letting 2022 play out instead of going full-Snead and handing Hock a Goff-ish contract with 2 years of team control remaining. At some point, Brad will be back in the comp pick game and Hock could be a chip.

2 Likes

I feel like this topic was teleported from just 1 week ago.

1 Like

Agree. We have time to figure it out

1 Like

If we don’t have Hock, we can just sign Luke Wilson and L Toilolo. TE’s shouldn’t be noticed.
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

2 Likes

This year he will finally have room to breathe on the field
I expect good things from him this year
I support extending him this summer

Holmes & Co will do whatever they deem in the teams best interest

4 Likes