Holmes in Jan: "We could also get Better at the Perimeter on Both Sides of the Ball"

Mission accomplished, sir.

Draftee DE Hutchinson - plus run defender
Draftee DE Josh Paschal - plus run defender
Draftee S Kerby Joseph - ball skills
Draftee Blocking TE James Mitchell (who also has nice hands)
“V12” WR Jameson Williams - he will run past you
FA S DeShon Elliott - he will hit you
FA WR DJ Chark - upgrade

I didn’t factor in the LBs, but maybe could have.

Always pay attention to that last presser of the year going into the offseason.

6 Likes

When you’ve been one of the worst teams in pass rush (and on defense generally), upgrading the edges made all the sense in the world.

Eric Banks
Jashon Cornell
Rashod Berry
Austin Bryant
Julian Okwara
Jessie Lemonier

They’re all on notice. None of them may be on the 53 man roster come September 2022.

1 Like

I actually think the Okwara Bros are on notice too. Julian took some steps last year, but this is not a good development for him. Romeo had an Achilles so I think there is some concern about how he’ll come back from it.

I don’t think Romeo is going anywhere simply because his contract is structured in such a way that there’s no benefit to cutting him in 2022:

4 Likes

I actually think this is the best thing that could happen to the Okwara brothers. The rotation should keep everyone fresh. The flexibility for everyone to move around should only enhance individual value. Being part of an improving team where you can demonstrate your abilities puts the ball squarely in your court. It is a great opportunity to increase value.

Of course if you shit the bed, you will be gone. But that should always be part of the equation.

I agree that all could be in trouble except julian. He played quite well the 2nd half of last season, including 5 sacks. PFF graded him at 67.7 last year, which is decent. I think Julian could get 8-10 sacks next year with more playing time, especially on 3rd downs he can rush the passer.

1 Like

Quinn drafted the opposite of this…he drafted DBs that will run right past you, instead of WRs that will run right past you. LOL. Teez-ing ya, man. :wink:

5 Likes

For sure → lots of bubble players getting the boot. We’ll start booting talented dudes next offseason. Good problem to have.

1 Like

I agree completely with this. It will cut their numbers down, but Julian is still a youngster and splitting your time playing / watching / and learning is never a bad thing.

Same with Romeo. Coming off an injury; no need for the big man to carry the whole load.

3 Likes

Too soon on Julian. I agree with the rest.

1 Like

I said it during end of last season an have continued to say it that Julian Okwara will move to LB position like we look at LBs not edge guys.

He has ability an can blitz an do the work like a LB has nice size an experience.
His brother if healthy is solid rusher on weak side on strong side not so much an those are true facts.
Julian Okwara can rush from edge when almost sure pass down.

When I see the make-up of this team, I have a harder time envisioning Romeo getting snaps than I do Julian. But, Romeo is one of the guys that Holmes himself re-upped, so they’re surely going to keep him in the fold.

To me:
Romeo is a DE in a 4-down look. He’s not a Rush LB, nor is he someone I want playing DE in a 3-down look.

Julian Okwara and Charles Harris are rush Linebackers. You want them coming from out wide with only one thing in mind, get to the passer. Charles might also be OK as a 4-down DE.

Hutch is a rush LB and a 4-down DE (according to the DL coach, which most of us would have to agree). I expect him to be equally effective in either alignment.

Paschal is a 4-down strong-side DE and a 3-down DE.

They just drafted the guy you say Julian is. That’s James Houston. He can play either as a rush LB or an off-ball LB. I don’t see Julian competing with him, Anzalone, Barnes and Board for ILB snaps. I could be wrong, but with his build and experience, I think we continue to develop Julian as a rush Linebacker.

I think it’s actually pretty simple….

We have an injury prone guy with 1 year left in A Bryant, which makes him a cheap one year rental, as there is no chance he gets resigned…. Likely cut? I’d say so.

The draft move feel like we are leaning heavier into a 4-3 than most anticipate.

Hutch/C Harris
Levi/D Taylor
McNeill/Brockers
Paschal/Romeo

Julian/Barnes
J Davis/Rodriguez
Anzalone/Board

Or 3-4

Paschal/D Taylor

McNeill/Penisini

Brockers/Levi

Hutch/Julian

Barnes/J Davis
Anazalone/Rodriguez/Board

Romeo/ C Harris

I don’t see The Problem.

Quinn’s drafting strategy for corners reminds me of 80’s movies where the fat kid was always trying to keep up with his friends.

1 Like

The Achilles injury may be a major factor there as well. Allegedly, he’s still in a walking boot, which suggests his recovery is not going well. Add to the fact that he was a 4.90 40 guy even before the injury Romeo Okwara Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com with an electronically timed 1.73 10 yard split Romeo Okwara - DE - Notre Dame - 2016 Draft Scout/NCAA College Football that’s wasn’t very good to begin with.

The guy who signed the big contract and had 10 sacks/3 FFs? We may never see him again.

Bummer, dude. Sorry for him and for the Lions.

Starting to wonder if that report is accurate. Here’s one from January:

But even so, it appears he’s considerably behind Jeff Okudah in his recovery. Drafting three different flavors of edge rusher probably had something to do with that.

1 Like

They used Julian in space quite a bit last year. I’m hoping that was due to a lack of options He needs to be allowed to just pin his ears back.

1 Like

Has Julian ever played a whole lot of LB other than rushing the passer from the second level?